Jessica Moreland received her Bachelor’s Degree in Zoology from Duke University. She obtained her M.D. from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1992. Dr. Moreland remained at Vanderbilt University for her residency training in Pediatrics and her fellowship training in Pediatric Critical Care. After completion of all of her postgraduate training, she was recruited to join the faculty at the University of Iowa. Dr. Moreland was appointed as an Assistant Professor on the tenure track in 1998 and rose to the rank of Professor with Tenure in 2013. Her research focus has centered broadly on the theme of neutrophil-based inflammation. While on faculty at the University of Iowa, Dr. Moreland served initially as the fellowship director for Pediatric Critical Care and served as the Division Director prior to joining UT Southwestern. Dr. Moreland took over as the Division Chief of Pediatric Critical Care at UT Southwestern in January of 2014. She is currently the Professor of Pediatrics and Microbiology and the Thomas Fariss Marsh, Jr. Chair in Pediatrics.
- Medical School
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (1992)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (1995), Pediatrics
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (1998), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Inflammation and the resolution of inflammation
- Mechanisms of toll-like receptor signaling and role of single nucleotide polymorphisms
- NADPH oxidase and reactive oxygen species signaling
- Neutrophil priming
- Translational analysis of neutrophil activation state during cardiopulmonary bypass and during chronic inflammatory disease
- Neutrophil Phenotype Correlates With Postoperative Inflammatory Outcomes in Infants Undergoing Cardiopulmonary Bypass.
- Huber JN, Hilkin BM, Hook JS, Brophy PD, Davenport TL, Davis JE, Colaizy TT, Moreland JG Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017 Oct
- Correction: Interferon Regulatory Factor 6 Has a Protective Role in the Host Response to Endotoxic Shock.
- Joly S, Rhea L, Volk P, Moreland JG, Dunnwald M PLoS ONE 2017 12 1 e0171459
- Craniectomy and Traumatic Brain Injury in Children on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Support: Case Report and Review of the Literature.
- Anton-Martin P, Braga B, Megison S, Journeycake J, Moreland J Pediatr Emerg Care 2016 Oct
- Neutrophil azurophilic granule exocytosis is primed by TNF-a and partially regulated by NADPH oxidase.
- Potera RM, Jensen MJ, Hilkin BM, South GK, Hook JS, Gross EA, Moreland JG Innate Immun 2016 Sep
- A Common Genetic Variant in TLR1 Enhances Human Neutrophil Priming and Impacts Length of Intensive Care Stay in Pediatric Sepsis.
- Whitmore LC, Hook JS, Philiph AR, Hilkin BM, Bing X, Ahn C, Wong HR, Ferguson PJ, Moreland JG J. Immunol. 2016 Feb 196 3 1376-86
- Interferon Regulatory Factor 6 Has a Protective Role in the Host Response to Endotoxic Shock.
- Joly S, Rhea L, Volk P, Moreland JG, Dunnwald M PLoS ONE 2016 11 4 e0152385
- Evaluation of hematologic composition in newborn C57/BL6 mice up to day 35.
- White JR, Gong H, Colaizy TT, Moreland JG, Flaherty H, McElroy SJ Vet Clin Pathol 2015 Dec
- NOX2 protects against progressive lung injury and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome.
- Whitmore LC, Goss KL, Newell EA, Hilkin BM, Hook JS, Moreland JG Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2014 May
- ROS-containing endosomal compartments: implications for signaling.
- Davis Volk AP, Moreland JG Meth. Enzymol. 2014 535 201-24
- NOX2 Protects against Prolonged Inflammation, Lung Injury, and Mortality following Systemic Insults.
- Whitmore LC, Hilkin BM, Goss KL, Wahle EM, Colaizy TT, Boggiatto PM, Varga SM, Miller FJ, Moreland JG J Innate Immun 2013 Apr
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Magazine (2015) (2018)
- Election to American Pediatric Society
- Best Doctors in America
Best Doctors, Inc. (2012-2013)
- Above and Beyond Award
University of Iowa Health Care (2005-2006)
- Election to Society for Pediatric Research
- Elliot V. Newman Award
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Research Forum (1997)
- Amos Christie Award in Pediatrics
Vanderbilt University Medical School (1995)
- David Karzon Award
Vanderbilt University, Department of Pediatrics (1995)
- House Officer Research Award
Society for Pediatric Research (1995)
- 1992 Alpha Omega Alpha
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (1992)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Pediatric Society
- Society for Critical Care Medicine
- Society for Leukocyte Biology
- Society for Pediatric Research