David Scott Miller, Professor and Chief of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, leads the team of gynecologic oncologists at UT Southwestern. He is Medical Director for the Division's practice at the NCI-designated Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center.
Dr. Miller also serves as principal investigator for the National Cancer Institute’s Gynecologic Oncology Group program at UT Southwestern and participates in the cancer treatment protocols developed by that organization.
A graduate of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Dr. Miller completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the Hospital of the Medical College of Pennsylvania. After residency, he pursued a reproductive endocrinology fellowship at the University of California-San Diego and a gynecologic oncology fellowship at Stanford University Medical Center. Before joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1991, he practiced gynecologic oncology at Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago.
Widely-known as an authority on cancers of the female reproductive system, Dr. Miller is board certified in both obstetrics and gynecology and gynecologic oncology. He serves as an examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, where he participates in the oral examination of physicians seeking certification as specialists in gynecologic oncology. He is a member of the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Miller believes the gynecologic oncology team’s strength comes from its collaborative approach to health care and commitment to search for the best treatment options for women with cancer of the reproductive system. This approach goes beyond treatment of the cancer itself to include the patient’s nutrition and pain management as well as psychological and social adjustments.
- Medical School
- University of Oklahoma at Tulsa (1977)
- Medical College of Pennsylvania (1978), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Medical College of Pennsylvania (1981), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- University of California at San Diego (1982), Gynecologic Oncology
- Stanford University Hospital (1985), Gynecologic Oncology
- Antineoplastic drug development
- Clinical trials
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Reconstructive pelvic surgery
- Mutations in the BRCA1-associated RING domain (BARD1) gene in primary breast, ovarian and uterine cancers
- Thai TH, Du F, Tsan JT, Jin Y, Phung A, Spillman MA, Massa HF, Muller CY, Ashfaq R, Mathis JM, Miller DS, Trask BJ, Baer R, Bowcock AM. Human Molecular Genetics 1998 7 (2) 195-202
- CYP19 (aromatase cytochrome P450) gene expression in human malignant endometrial tumors
- Bulun, S.E., Economos, K., Miller, D., Simpson, E.R. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 1994 79 (6) 1831-1834
- Adjuvant Gemcitabine Plus Docetaxel Followed by Doxorubicin Versus Observation for High-Grade Uterine Leiomyosarcoma: A Phase III NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.
- Hensley ML, Enserro D, Hatcher H, Ottevanger PB, Krarup-Hansen A, Blay JY, Fisher C, Moxley KM, Lele SB, Lea JS, Tewari KS, Thaker PH, Zivanovic O, O'Malley DM, Robison K, Miller DS J. Clin. Oncol. 2018 Oct JCO1800454
- The Significance of Para-Aortic Nodal Size and the Role of Adjuvant Systemic Chemotherapy in Cervical Cancer: An Institutional Experience.
- Manders DB, Sims TT, Bailey A, Hwang L, Richardson DL, Miller DS, Kehoe SM, Albuquerque KV, Lea JS Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2018 May
- Emphasis on Systemic Therapy in Women With Pelvic Bone Metastasis at Time of Diagnosis of Cervical Cancer.
- Manders DB, Sims TT, Albuquerque KV, Carlson MJ, Richardson DL, Kehoe SM, Miller DS, Lea JS Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2018 Mar
- Pre-operative core muscle index in combination with hypoalbuminemia is associated with poor prognosis in advanced ovarian cancer.
- Conrad LB, Awdeh H, Acosta-Torres S, Conrad SA, Bailey AA, Miller DS, Lea JS J Surg Oncol 2018 Feb
- Usage and survival implications of surgical staging of inguinal lymph nodes in intermediate- to high-risk, clinical localized penile cancer: A propensity-score matched analysis.
- Woldu SL, Ci B, Hutchinson RC, Krabbe LM, Singla N, Passoni NM, Clinton TN, Raj GV, Miller DS, Sagalowsky AI, Lotan Y, Xie Y, Margulis V, Bagrodia A Urol. Oncol. 2017 Dec
- An NRG Oncology/GOG study of molecular classification for risk prediction in endometrioid endometrial cancer.
- Cosgrove CM, Tritchler DL, Cohn DE, Mutch DG, Rush CM, Lankes HA, Creasman WT, Miller DS, Ramirez NC, Geller MA, Powell MA, Backes FJ, Landrum LM, Timmers C, Suarez AA, Zaino RJ, Pearl ML, DiSilvestro PA, Lele SB, Goodfellow PJ Gynecol. Oncol. 2017 Nov
- Endometrial carcinoma recurrence according to race and ethnicity: An NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group 210 Study.
- Felix AS, Brasky TM, Cohn DE, Mutch DG, Creasman WT, Thaker PH, Walker JL, Moore RG, Lele SB, Guntupalli SR, Downs LS, Nagel CI, Boggess JF, Pearl ML, Ioffe OB, Deng W, Miller DS, Brinton LA Int. J. Cancer 2017 Oct
- Differences at Presentation and Treatment of Testicular Cancer in Hispanic Men: Institutional and National Hospital-Based Analysis.
- Woldu SL, Aydin AM, Rao AV, Hutchinson RC, Singla N, Clinton TN, Krabbe LM, Passoni NM, Raj GV, Miller DS, Amatruda JF, Sagalowsky AI, Lotan Y, Arriaga Y, Margulis V, Bagrodia A Urology 2017 Oct
Honors & Awards
- Super Doctors in Texas - Oncology
Oncology; Obstetrics/Gynecology (2013)
- Top Doctor - Gynecologic Oncology / Gynecology
U.S. News and World Report (2013)
- D Best - Gynecological Oncology
D Magazine Best Doctors 2010, 2011 (2012)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly (2011)
- National Faculty Award
Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics & Gynecology (2000)
- Senior Residents Award for Outstanding Faculty Teacher
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2000)
- First Prize Scientific Paper Award
American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 39th Annual Meeting (1991)
- D Best Doctor - Gynecological Oncology
D Magazine - 2012, 2011, 2010
- American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Gynecologic Oncology Group
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology