David Scott Miller, Professor and Chief of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, leads the team of gynecologic oncologists at UT Southwestern. He is Medical Director for the Division's practice at the NCI-designated Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center.
Dr. Miller also serves as principal investigator for the National Cancer Institute’s Gynecologic Oncology Group program at UT Southwestern and participates in the cancer treatment protocols developed by that organization.
A graduate of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Dr. Miller completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the Hospital of the Medical College of Pennsylvania. After residency, he pursued a reproductive endocrinology fellowship at the University of California-San Diego and a gynecologic oncology fellowship at Stanford University Medical Center. Before joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1991, he practiced gynecologic oncology at Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago.
Widely-known as an authority on cancers of the female reproductive system, Dr. Miller is board certified in both obstetrics and gynecology and gynecologic oncology. He serves as an examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, where he participates in the oral examination of physicians seeking certification as specialists in gynecologic oncology. He is a member of the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Miller believes the gynecologic oncology team’s strength comes from its collaborative approach to health care and commitment to search for the best treatment options for women with cancer of the reproductive system. This approach goes beyond treatment of the cancer itself to include the patient’s nutrition and pain management as well as psychological and social adjustments.
- Medical School
- University of Oklahoma at Tulsa (1977)
- Medical College of Pennsylvania (1978), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Medical College of Pennsylvania (1981), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- University of California at San Diego (1982), Gynecologic Oncology
- Stanford University Hospital (1985), Gynecologic Oncology
- Antineoplastic drug development
- Clinical trials
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Reconstructive pelvic surgery
- Fertility-sparing surgery in 101 women with adenocarcinoma in situ of the cervix.
- Bull-Phelps SL, Garner EI, Walsh CS, Gehrig PA, Miller DS, Schorge JO Gynecol. Oncol. 2007 Nov 107 2 316-9
- Simplifying the preevacuation testing strategy for patients with molar pregnancy
- Knowles, L.M., Drake, R.D., Ashfaq, R., Castrillon, D.H., Miller, D.S., Schorge, J.O. The Journal of reproductive medicine August 2007 52 (8) 685-688
- Simplifying the preevacuation testing strategy for patients with molar pregnancy.
- Knowles LM, Drake RD, Ashfaq R, Castrillon DH, Miller DS, Schorge JO J Reprod Med 2007 Aug 52 8 685-8
- Silencing of HPV 18 oncoproteins With RNA interference causes growth inhibition of cervical cancer cells.
- Lea JS, Sunaga N, Sato M, Kalahasti G, Miller DS, Minna JD, Muller CY Reprod Sci 2007 Jan 14 1 20-8
- Silencing of HPV 18 oncoproteins with RNA interference causes growth inhibition of cervical cancer cells
- Lea, J.S., Sunaga, N., Sato, M., Kalahasti, G., Miller, D.S., Minna, J.D., Muller, C.Y. Reproductive Sciences 2007 14 (1) 20-28
- Gestational trophoblastic disease among Hispanic women: a 21-year hospital-based study.
- Drake RD, Rao GG, McIntire DD, Miller DS, Schorge JO Gynecol. Oncol. 2006 Oct 103 1 81-6
- Retrospective cohort study of surgical staging for ovarian low malignant potential tumors.
- Wingo SN, Knowles LM, Carrick KS, Miller DS, Schorge JO Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2006 May 194 5 e20-2
- Clinical results and quality of life analysis for the MVAC combination (methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin) in carcinoma of the uterine cervix: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study.
- Long HJ, Monk BJ, Huang HQ, Grendys EC, McMeekin DS, Sorosky J, Miller DS, Eaton LA, Fiorica JV Gynecol. Oncol. 2006 Mar 100 3 537-43
- Hormonal therapy in epithelial ovarian cancer.
- Rao GG, Miller DS Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2006 Jan 6 1 43-7
- Ovarian preservation in stage I low-grade endometrial stromal sarcomas.
- Li AJ, Giuntoli RL, Drake R, Byun SY, Rojas F, Barbuto D, Klipfel N, Edmonds P, Miller DS, Karlan BY Obstet Gynecol 2005 Dec 106 6 1304-8
Honors & Awards
- Super Doctors in Texas - Oncology
Oncology; Obstetrics/Gynecology (2013)
- Top Doctor - Gynecologic Oncology / Gynecology
U.S. News and World Report (2013)
- D Best - Gynecological Oncology
D Magazine Best Doctors 2010, 2011 (2012)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly (2011)
- National Faculty Award
Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics & Gynecology (2000)
- Senior Residents Award for Outstanding Faculty Teacher
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2000)
- First Prize Scientific Paper Award
American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 39th Annual Meeting (1991)
- D Best Doctor - Gynecological Oncology
D Magazine - 2012, 2011, 2010
- American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Gynecologic Oncology Group
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology