David Scott Miller, Professor and Chief of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, leads the team of gynecologic oncologists at UT Southwestern. He is Medical Director for the Division's practice at the NCI-designated Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center.
Dr. Miller also serves as principal investigator for the National Cancer Institute’s Gynecologic Oncology Group program at UT Southwestern and participates in the cancer treatment protocols developed by that organization.
A graduate of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Dr. Miller completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the Hospital of the Medical College of Pennsylvania. After residency, he pursued a reproductive endocrinology fellowship at the University of California-San Diego and a gynecologic oncology fellowship at Stanford University Medical Center. Before joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1991, he practiced gynecologic oncology at Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago.
Widely-known as an authority on cancers of the female reproductive system, Dr. Miller is board certified in both obstetrics and gynecology and gynecologic oncology. He serves as an examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, where he participates in the oral examination of physicians seeking certification as specialists in gynecologic oncology. He is a member of the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Miller believes the gynecologic oncology team’s strength comes from its collaborative approach to health care and commitment to search for the best treatment options for women with cancer of the reproductive system. This approach goes beyond treatment of the cancer itself to include the patient’s nutrition and pain management as well as psychological and social adjustments.
- Medical School
- University of Oklahoma at Tulsa (1977)
- Medical College of Pennsylvania (1978), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Medical College of Pennsylvania (1981), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- University of California at San Diego (1982), Gynecologic Oncology
- Stanford University Hospital (1985), Gynecologic Oncology
- Antineoplastic drug development
- Clinical trials
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Reconstructive pelvic surgery
- Prognostic factors in gestational trophoblastic tumors: a proposed new scoring system based on multivariate analysis.
- Lurain JR, Casanova LA, Miller DS, Rademaker AW Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1991 Feb 164 2 611-6
- Dual-parameter flow cytometric analysis coupling the measurements of forward-angle light scatter and DNA content of archival ovarian carcinomas of low malignant potential.
- Eriksen B, Miller DS, Murad TM, Lurain JR, Bauer KD Anal. Quant. Cytol. Histol. 1991 Feb 13 1 45-53
- Study of the selective cytotoxic properties of cationic, lipophilic mitochondrial-specific compounds in gynecologic malignancies.
- Christman JE, Miller DS, Coward P, Smith LH, Teng NN Gynecol. Oncol. 1990 Oct 39 1 72-9
- Flow cytometric evaluation of epithelial ovarian cancer.
- Barnabei VM, Miller DS, Bauer KD, Murad TM, Rademaker AW, Lurain JR Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1990 Jun 162 6 1584-90; discussion 1590-2
- Endocrinologic aspects of gestational trophoblastic diseases.
- Miller DS, Seifer DB Int. J. Fertil. 1990 May-Jun 35 3 137-53
- Classification and staging of gestational trophoblastic tumors.
- Miller DS, Lurain JR Obstet. Gynecol. Clin. North Am. 1988 Sep 15 3 477-90
- Epithelial ovarian carcinoma in patients with intersex disorders: the role of pituitary gonadotropins in ovarian tumorigenesis.
- Miller DS, Teng NN, Ballon SC Gynecol. Oncol. 1986 Jul 24 3 299-308
- A critical reassessment of second-look laparotomy in epithelial ovarian carcinoma.
- Miller DS, Ballon SC, Teng NN, Seifer DB, Soriero OM Cancer 1986 Feb 57 3 530-5
- Pulsatile administration of low-dose gonadotropin-releasing hormone. Ovulation and pregnancy in women with hypothalamic amenorrhea.
- Miller DS, Reid RR, Cetel NS, Rebar RW, Yen SS JAMA 1983 Dec 250 21 2937-41
- The use of the laser in gynecology.
- Miller DS J S C Med Assoc 1983 Nov 79 11 627-30
Honors & Awards
- Super Doctors in Texas - Oncology
Oncology; Obstetrics/Gynecology (2013)
- Top Doctor - Gynecologic Oncology / Gynecology
U.S. News and World Report (2013)
- D Best - Gynecological Oncology
D Magazine Best Doctors 2010, 2011 (2012)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly (2011)
- National Faculty Award
Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics & Gynecology (2000)
- Senior Residents Award for Outstanding Faculty Teacher
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2000)
- First Prize Scientific Paper Award
American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 39th Annual Meeting (1991)
- D Best Doctor - Gynecological Oncology
D Magazine - 2012, 2011, 2010
- American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Gynecologic Oncology Group
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology