David Scott Miller, Professor and Chief of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, leads the team of gynecologic oncologists at UT Southwestern. He is Medical Director for the Division's practice at the NCI-designated Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center.
Dr. Miller also serves as principal investigator for the National Cancer Institute’s Gynecologic Oncology Group program at UT Southwestern and participates in the cancer treatment protocols developed by that organization.
A graduate of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Dr. Miller completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the Hospital of the Medical College of Pennsylvania. After residency, he pursued a reproductive endocrinology fellowship at the University of California-San Diego and a gynecologic oncology fellowship at Stanford University Medical Center. Before joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1991, he practiced gynecologic oncology at Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago.
Widely-known as an authority on cancers of the female reproductive system, Dr. Miller is board certified in both obstetrics and gynecology and gynecologic oncology. He serves as an examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, where he participates in the oral examination of physicians seeking certification as specialists in gynecologic oncology. He is a member of the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Miller believes the gynecologic oncology team’s strength comes from its collaborative approach to health care and commitment to search for the best treatment options for women with cancer of the reproductive system. This approach goes beyond treatment of the cancer itself to include the patient’s nutrition and pain management as well as psychological and social adjustments.
- Medical School
- University of Oklahoma at Tulsa (1977)
- Medical College of Pennsylvania (1978), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Medical College of Pennsylvania (1981), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- University of California at San Diego (1982), Gynecologic Oncology
- Stanford University Hospital (1985), Gynecologic Oncology
- Antineoplastic drug development
- Clinical trials
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Reconstructive pelvic surgery
- Sex Hormone, Insulin and Insulin-like Growth Factor in Recurrence of High Stage Endometrial Cancer.
- Merritt MA, Strickler HD, Hutson AD, Einstein MH, Rohan TE, Xue X, Sherman ME, Brinton LA, Yu H, Miller DS, Ramirez NC, Lankes HA, Birrer MJ, Huang GS, Gunter MJ, Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2021 Feb
- Ovarian Cancer, Version 2.2020, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology.
- Armstrong DK, Alvarez RD, Bakkum-Gamez JN, Barroilhet L, Behbakht K, Berchuck A, Chen LM, Cristea M, DeRosa M, Eisenhauer EL, Gershenson DM, Gray HJ, Grisham R, Hakam A, Jain A, Karam A, Konecny GE, Leath CA, Liu J, Mahdi H, Martin L, Matei D, McHale M, McLean K, Miller DS, O'Malley DM, Percac-Lima S, Ratner E, Remmenga SW, Vargas R, Werner TL, Zsiros E, Burns JL, Engh AM, J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2021 02 19 2 191-226
- Serial genomic analysis of endometrium supports the existence of histologically indistinct endometrial cancer precursors.
- Aguilar M, Zhang H, Zhang M, Cantarell B, Sahoo SS, Li HD, Cuevas IC, Lea J, Miller DS, Chen H, Zheng W, Gagan J, Lucas E, Castrillon DH, J Pathol 2021 Jan
- Carboplatin and Paclitaxel for Advanced Endometrial Cancer: Final Overall Survival and Adverse Event Analysis of a Phase III Trial (NRG Oncology/GOG0209).
- Miller DS, Filiaci VL, Mannel RS, Cohn DE, Matsumoto T, Tewari KS, DiSilvestro P, Pearl ML, Argenta PA, Powell MA, Zweizig SL, Warshal DP, Hanjani P, Carney ME, Huang H, Cella D, Zaino R, Fleming GF, J Clin Oncol 2020 Nov 38 33 3841-3850
- An international randomized phase III trial of pulse actinomycin-D versus multi-day methotrexate for the treatment of low risk gestational trophoblastic neoplasia; NRG/GOG 275.
- Schink JC, Filiaci V, Huang HQ, Tidy J, Winter M, Carter J, Anderson N, Moxley K, Yabuno A, Taylor SE, Kushnir C, Horowitz N, Miller DS, Gynecol. Oncol. 2020 May
- Progress in endometrial cancer: Contributions of the former Gynecologic Oncology Group.
- Miller DS, Randall ME, Filiaci V, Gynecol. Oncol. 2020 Jan
- Adjuvant Chemotherapy plus Radiation for Locally Advanced Endometrial Cancer.
- Matei D, Filiaci V, Randall ME, Mutch D, Steinhoff MM, DiSilvestro PA, Moxley KM, Kim YM, Powell MA, O'Malley DM, Spirtos NM, Small W, Tewari KS, Richards WE, Nakayama J, Matulonis UA, Huang HQ, Miller DS, N. Engl. J. Med. 2019 06 380 24 2317-2326
- Phase III Trial: Adjuvant Pelvic Radiation Therapy Versus Vaginal Brachytherapy Plus Paclitaxel/Carboplatin in High-Intermediate and High-Risk Early Stage Endometrial Cancer.
- Randall ME, Filiaci V, McMeekin DS, von Gruenigen V, Huang H, Yashar CM, Mannel RS, Kim JW, Salani R, DiSilvestro PA, Burke JJ, Rutherford T, Spirtos NM, Terada K, Anderson PR, Brewster WR, Small W, Aghajanian CA, Miller DS, J. Clin. Oncol. 2019 Apr JCO1801575
- Niraparib monotherapy for late-line treatment of ovarian cancer (QUADRA): a multicentre, open-label, single-arm, phase 2 trial.
- Moore KN, Secord AA, Geller MA, Miller DS, Cloven N, Fleming GF, Wahner Hendrickson AE, Azodi M, DiSilvestro P, Oza AM, Cristea M, Berek JS, Chan JK, Rimel BJ, Matei DE, Li Y, Sun K, Luptakova K, Matulonis UA, Monk BJ, Lancet Oncol. 2019 Apr
- The addition of paclitaxel to doxorubicin and cisplatin and volume-directed radiation does not improve overall survival (OS) or long-term recurrence-free survival (RFS) in advanced endometrial cancer (EC): A randomized phase III NRG/Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) study.
- Spirtos NM, Enserro D, Homesley HD, Gibbons SK, Cella D, Morris RT, DeGeest K, Lee RB, Miller DS, Gynecol. Oncol. 2019 Apr
Honors & Awards
- Top Doctor - Gynecologic Oncology / Gynecology
U.S. News and World Report (2013-2021)
- D Best Doctor - Gynecological Oncology
D Magazine (2010-2021)
- Super Doctors in Texas - Gynecologic Oncology / Obstetrics & Gynecology
Texas Monthly - Super Doctors (2004-2021)
- National Faculty Award
Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics & Gynecology (2000)
- Senior Residents Award for Outstanding Faculty Teacher
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2000)
- First Prize Scientific Paper Award
American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 39th Annual Meeting (1991)
- American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Gynecologic Oncology Group
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology