Theodore W. Laetsch, MD is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics and Member of the Harold C Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, TX. He also leads the Experimental and Cellular Therapeutics Program (ECTP) and the Cellular Therapeutics in the Gill Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Children’s Health. Dr. Laetsch also serves as the Rare Tumors Disease Committee Chair for the Children’s Oncology Group. Dr. Laetsch received a BS in Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering from the University of Arizona and then a MD from the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Laetsch completed his residency at the University of Colorado/Children’s Hospital Colorado, where he also served as chief resident. He completed his fellowship training and an instructorship at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), where he conducted translational laboratory research focused on mechanisms to restore apoptotic signaling in neuroblastoma. In 2013, he joined the faculty at UT Southwestern. Dr. Laetsch conducts both early phase clinical and translational laboratory-based research testing potential novel therapeutics in high-risk pediatric solid tumors with a goal of “bridging the gap” between laboratory research and early phase clinical trials. As the leader of the ECTP program, Dr. Laetsch serves as the PI of several phase 1 and phase 2 studies of new targeted agents and cellular therapies for children with relapsed or refractory cancer. Dr. Laetsch has a strong interest in the use of tumor molecular profiling to guide therapy. In addition to these research activities, Dr. Laetsch continues to see children with cancer in the clinic at Children’s Medical Center.
- Medical School
- University of California, San Francisco (2005)
- University of Colorado - Children's Hospital Colorado - Pediatric Internship/Residency (2009), Pediatrics
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - Pediatric Hema/Onco Fellowship (2012), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Novel Therapeutics for Childhood Cancer
- Tumor Genomic Profiling
- Tisagenlecleucel Model-Based Cellular Kinetic Analysis of Chimeric Antigen Receptor-T Cells.
- Stein AM, Grupp SA, Levine JE, Laetsch TW, Pulsipher MA, Boyer MW, August KJ, Levine BL, Tomassian L, Shah S, Leung M, Huang PH, Awasthi R, Mueller KT, Wood PA, June CH, CPT Pharmacometrics Syst Pharmacol 2019 Mar
- Functional Repair Assay for the Diagnosis of Constitutional Mismatch Repair Deficiency From Non-Neoplastic Tissue.
- Shuen AY, Lanni S, Panigrahi GB, Edwards M, Yu L, Campbell BB, Mandel A, Zhang C, Zhukova N, Alharbi M, Bernstein M, Bowers DC, Carroll S, Cole KA, Constantini S, Crooks B, Dvir R, Farah R, Hijiya N, George B, Laetsch TW, Larouche V, Lindhorst S, Luiten RC, Magimairajan V, Mason G, Mason W, Mordechai O, Mushtaq N, Nicholas G, Oren M, Palma L, Pedroza LA, Ramdas J, Samuel D, Wolfe Schneider K, Seeley A, Semotiuk K, Shamvil A, Sumerauer D, Toledano H, Tomboc P, Wierman M, Van Damme A, Lee YY, Zapotocky M, Bouffet E, Durno C, Aronson M, Gallinger S, Foulkes WD, Malkin D, Tabori U, Pearson CE J. Clin. Oncol. 2019 Feb 37 6 461-470
- TRK Fusion Cancers in Children: A Clinical Review and Recommendations for Screening.
- Albert CM, Davis JL, Federman N, Casanova M, Laetsch TW J. Clin. Oncol. 2019 Feb 37 6 513-524
- Expanding the Spectrum of Pediatric NTRK-rearranged Mesenchymal Tumors.
- Davis JL, Lockwood CM, Stohr B, Boecking C, Al-Ibraheemi A, DuBois SG, Vargas SO, Black JO, Cox MC, Luquette M, Turpin B, Szabo S, Laetsch TW, Albert CM, Parham DM, Hawkins DS, Rudzinski ER Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2018 Dec
- Clinical Utilization of Chimeric Antigen Receptor T Cells in B Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: An Expert Opinion from the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation and the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.
- Kansagra AJ, Frey NV, Bar M, Laetsch TW, Carpenter PA, Savani BN, Heslop HE, Bollard CM, Komanduri KV, Gastineau DA, Chabannon C, Perales MA, Hudecek M, Aljurf M, Andritsos L, Barrett JA, Bachanova V, Bonini C, Ghobadi A, Gill SI, Hill J, Kenderian S, Kebriaei P, Nagler A, Maloney D, Liu HD, Shah NN, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Shpall EJ, Mufti GJ, Johnston L, Jacoby E, Bazarbachi A, DiPersio JF, Pavletic SZ, Porter DL, Grupp SA, Sadelain M, Litzow MR, Mohty M, Hashmi SK Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2018 Dec
- Longer heating duration increases localized doxorubicin deposition and therapeutic index in Vx2 tumors using MR-HIFU mild hyperthermia and thermosensitive liposomal doxorubicin.
- Bing C, Patel P, Staruch RM, Shaikh S, Nofiele J, Wodzak Staruch M, Szczepanski D, Williams NS, Laetsch T, Chopra R Int J Hyperthermia 2018 Dec 1-8
- Larotrectinib for the treatment of TRK fusion solid tumors.
- Laetsch TW, Hawkins DS Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2018 Oct 1-10
- The Use of Neoadjuvant Larotrectinib in the Management of Children With Locally Advanced TRK Fusion Sarcomas.
- DuBois SG, Laetsch TW, Federman N, Turpin BK, Albert CM, Nagasubramanian R, Anderson ME, Davis JL, Qamoos HE, Reynolds ME, Cruickshank S, Cox MC, Hawkins DS, Mascarenhas L, Pappo AS Cancer 2018 Sep
- Clinical Pharmacology of Tisagenlecleucel in B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
- Mueller KT, Waldron ER, Grupp SA, Levine JE, Laetsch TW, Pulsipher MA, Boyer MW, August K, Hamilton J, Awasthi R, Stein AM, Sickert D, Chakraborty A, Levine BL, June CH, Tomassian L, Shah S, Leung M, Taran T, Wood PA, Maude SL Clin. Cancer Res. 2018 Sep
- Integrative Bayesian Analysis Identifies Rhabdomyosarcoma Disease Genes.
- Xu L, Zheng Y, Liu J, Rakheja D, Singleterry S, Laetsch TW, Shern JF, Khan J, Triche TJ, Hawkins DS, Amatruda JF, Skapek SX Cell Rep 2018 Jul 24 1 238-251
Honors & Awards
- Hyundai Scholar Research Award
Hyundai Hope on Wheels (2018)
- Physician of the Year
Children's Health (2018)
- Rising Star Award
UT Southwestern Leaders in Clinical Excellence (2018)
- Early Career Investigator Award
Cold Spring Harbor (2016)
- Research Award
Rally Foundation for Childhood Cancer (2015)
- Hyundai Young Investigator Research Award
Hyundai Hope on Wheels (2014)
- NICHD Child Health Research Career Development Award (K12)
- Joseph W. St. Geme, Jr., M.D. Award for Outstanding Research as a Resident
- Gold Headed Cane Society Member
- Alpha Omega Alpha Member
- American Society of Hematology (2018)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society (2017)
- International Society of Pediatric Oncology (2016)
- Dallas Medical Society (2014)
- Texas Medical Society (2014)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2010)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2010)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2009)
- Children's Oncology Group (2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2005-2008)