David McFadden, M.D., Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Endocrinology. He holds a secondary appointment in the Department of Biochemistry. His clinical interests include the treatment of tumors arising from endocrine glands, particularly thyroid cancer.
Originally from Midland, Texas, Dr. McFadden holds a bachelor's degree in microbiology from Texas A&M University at College Station, where he graduated with honors. He obtained his medical degree and his doctoral degree in genetics at UT Southwestern. He then received internal medicine residency training at Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston, followed by advanced training through a fellowship program in endocrinology and metabolism at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was a member of the Center for Endocrine Tumors and a staff physician in the Thyroid Associates and Endocrine Tumor Genetics clinics.
Prior to joining the UT Southwestern faculty in 2015, he completed postdoctoral research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Dr. McFadden's research interests include using genetic engineering and chemical screens to discover new treatments for cancer. He has received research grants from the National Institutes of Health, American Thyroid Association, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT), and UT Southwestern's Disease Oriented Clinical Scholars (DOCS) program.
Dr. McFadden is an active member of the American Thyroid Association, the International Thyroid Oncology Group, and the American Association for Cancer Research.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2004)
- Harvard/Brigham and Women's Hospital (2005), Internal Medicine
- Harvard/Brigham and Women's Hospital (2006), Internal Medicine
- Massachusetts General Hospital (2009), Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Cancer Biology
- Cancer Genetics
- Targeted Therapies
- Thyroid Cancer
- Tumor Progression
- p53 constrains progression to anaplastic thyroid carcinoma in a Braf-mutant mouse model of papillary thyroid cancer.
- McFadden DG, Vernon A, Santiago PM, Martinez-McFaline R, Bhutkar A, Crowley DM, McMahon M, Sadow PM, Jacks T Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Apr 111 16 E1600-9
- Genetic and clonal dissection of murine small cell lung carcinoma progression by genome sequencing.
- McFadden DG, Papagiannakopoulos T, Taylor-Weiner A, Stewart C, Carter SL, Cibulskis K, Bhutkar A, McKenna A, Dooley A, Vernon A, Sougnez C, Malstrom S, Heimann M, Park J, Chen F, Farago AF, Dayton T, Shefler E, Gabriel S, Getz G, Jacks T Cell 2014 Mar 156 6 1298-311
- Thyroid cancer.
- Cabanillas ME, McFadden DG, Durante C Lancet 2016 May
- Small Cell Lung Cancer: Can Recent Advances in Biology and Molecular Biology Be Translated into Improved Outcomes?
- Bunn PA, Minna JD, Augustyn A, Gazdar AF, Ouadah Y, Krasnow MA, Berns A, Brambilla E, Rekhtman N, Massion PP, Niederst M, Peifer M, Yokota J, Govindan R, Poirier JT, Byers LA, Wynes MW, McFadden DG, MacPherson D, Hann CL, Farago AF, Dive C, Teicher BA, Peacock CD, Johnson JE, Cobb MH, Wendel HG, Spigel D, Sage J, Yang P, Pietanza MC, Krug LM, Heymach J, Ujhazy P, Zhou C, Goto K, Dowlati A, Christensen CL, Park K, Einhorn LH, Edelman MJ, Giaccone G, Gerber DE, Salgia R, Owonikoko T, Malik S, Karachaliou N, Gandara DR, Slotman BJ, Blackhall F, Goss G, Thomas R, Rudin CM, Hirsch FR J Thorac Oncol 2016 Apr 11 4 453-74
- The comparative pathology of genetically engineered mouse models for neuroendocrine carcinomas of the lung.
- Gazdar AF, Savage TK, Johnson JE, Berns A, Sage J, Linnoila RI, MacPherson D, McFadden DG, Farago A, Jacks T, Travis WD, Brambilla E J Thorac Oncol 2015 Feb
- Redifferentiation of iodine-refractory BRAF V600E-mutant metastatic papillary thyroid cancer with dabrafenib.
- Rothenberg SM, McFadden DG, Palmer EL, Daniels GH, Wirth LJ Clin. Cancer Res. 2014 Dec
- Identification of oncogenic mutations and gene fusions in the follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma.
- McFadden DG, Dias-Santagata D, Sadow PM, Lynch KD, Lubitz C, Donovan SE, Zheng Z, Le L, Iafrate AJ, Daniels GH J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014 Nov 99 11 E2457-62
- Integrated genomic characterization of papillary thyroid carcinoma.
- Cell 2014 Oct 159 3 676-90
- Combined BRAF(V600E)- and SRC-inhibition induces apoptosis, evokes an immune response and reduces tumor growth in an immunocompetent orthotopic mouse model of anaplastic thyroid cancer.
- Vanden Borre P, Gunda V, McFadden DG, Sadow PM, Varmeh S, Bernasconi M, Parangi S Oncotarget 2014 Jun 5 12 3996-4010
- The next generation of orthotopic thyroid cancer models: immunocompetent orthotopic mouse models of BRAF V600E-positive papillary and anaplastic thyroid carcinoma.
- Vanden Borre P, McFadden DG, Gunda V, Sadow PM, Varmeh S, Bernasconi M, Jacks T, Parangi S Thyroid 2014 Apr 24 4 705-14
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Investigator Award
Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation (2019)
- Synergy Grant Award
UT Southwestern Dean's Circle of Friends (2019)
- CPRIT Scholar
UT Southwestern (2014)
- Disease Oriented Clinical Scholar
UT Southwestern (2014)
- "Rookie of the Year" Philanthropy Award
Massachusetts General Hospital (2013)
- Scholar in Training Award
Bristol-Myers Squibb (2013)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Thyroid Association
- International Thyroid Oncology Group