Dr. Mayo obtained her B.A. degree in Psychology from Northwestern University; Evanston, Illinois in 1986. She obtained her M.D. degree from Baylor College of Medicine; Houston, Texas in 1990. After her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at University of California, Irvine, California (1990-1993), she completed a fellowship in Gastroenterology/Hepatology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas (1993-1996). Dr. Mayo specializes in the diagnosis and management of acute and chronic liver diseases, and she enjoys establishing a friendly and supportive relationship with her patients. Dr. Mayo has a keen interest in immune-mediated and cholestatic liver diseases such as primary biliary cirrhosis, autoimmune hepatitis, and primary sclerosing cholangitis. She also has a special interest in the management of itching from liver disease. Dr. Mayo also conducts clinical trials investigating new treatments for primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, fatty liver, autoimmune hepatitis, and hepatorenal syndrome.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1990)
- University of California, Irvine (1991), Internal Medicine
- University of California, Irvine (1993), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Gastroenterology
- Autoimmune liver diseases
- Liver Disease in Pregnancy
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Association of clonally expanded T cells with the syndrome of primary biliary cirrhosis and limited scleroderma.
- Mayo MJ, Jenkins RN, Combes B, Lipsky PE Hepatology 1999 Jun 29 6 1635-42
- T-cell receptor Vbeta gene utilization in primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Mayo MJ, Combes B, Jenkins RN Hepatology 1996 Nov 24 5 1148-55
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Atlas of Gastroenterology, 6th edition
Mayo MJ, Thiele DL (2015). Wily Blackwell
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Textbook of Gastroenterology, 7th edition
Mayo MJ and Thiele DL (2015). Wily Blackwell
Complications of Cholestasis. In Cholestatic Liver Disease 2nd edition
Ahmed A and Mayo MJ (2014). Humana Press
Budd-Chiari Syndrome, Portal Vein Thrombosis and Other Vascular Disorders of the Liver.. In Handbook of Liver Diseases
Mayo MJ and Mitchell MC (2016).
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Best Doctors, Hepatology
Peer-nominated top 5 Hepatologists in the Dallas-Forth Worth area (2010-2016)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)
- Anerican College of Gastroenterology(ACG)
- European Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (EASL)