Dr. Mayo obtained her B.A. degree in Psychology from Northwestern University; Evanston, Illinois in 1986. She obtained her M.D. degree from Baylor College of Medicine; Houston, Texas in 1990. After her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at University of California, Irvine, California (1990-1993), she completed a fellowship in Gastroenterology/Hepatology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas (1993-1996). Dr. Mayo specializes in the diagnosis and management of acute and chronic liver diseases, and she enjoys establishing a friendly and supportive relationship with her patients. Dr. Mayo has a keen interest in immune-mediated and cholestatic liver diseases such as primary biliary cirrhosis, autoimmune hepatitis, and primary sclerosing cholangitis. She also has a special interest in the management of itching from liver disease. Dr. Mayo also conducts clinical trials investigating new treatments for primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, fatty liver, autoimmune hepatitis, and hepatorenal syndrome.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1990)
- University of California, Irvine (1991), Internal Medicine
- University of California, Irvine (1993), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Gastroenterology
- Autoimmune liver diseases
- Liver Disease in Pregnancy
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Acute pancreatitis during pregnancy.
- Tang SJ, Rodriguez-Frias E, Singh S, Mayo MJ, Jazrawi SF, Sreenarasimhaiah J, Lara LF, Rockey DC Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2010 Jan 8 1 85-90
- Repair-related activation of hedgehog signaling promotes cholangiocyte chemokine production.
- Omenetti A, Syn WK, Jung Y, Francis H, Porrello A, Witek RP, Choi SS, Yang L, Mayo MJ, Gershwin ME, Alpini G, Diehl AM Hepatology 2009 Aug 50 2 518-27
- Hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia involving the bone marrow and liver.
- Willis J, Mayo MJ, Rogers TE, Chen W Br. J. Haematol. 2009 Apr 145 2 150
- Safety and utility of ERCP during pregnancy.
- Tang SJ, Mayo MJ, Rodriguez-Frias E, Armstrong L, Tang L, Sreenarasimhaiah J, Lara LF, Rockey DC Gastrointest. Endosc. 2009 Mar 69 3 Pt 1 453-61
- Portal hypertension in primary biliary cirrhosis: a potentially reversible harbinger of demise.
- Mayo MJ Gastroenterology 2008 Nov 135 5 1450-1
- Natural history of primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Mayo MJ Clin Liver Dis 2008 May 12 2 277-88; viii
- The relationship between hepatic immunoglobulin production and CD154 expression in chronic liver diseases.
- Mayo MJ, Mosby JM, Jeyarajah R, Combes B, Khilnani S, Al-halimi M, Handem I, Grammer AC, Lipsky PE Liver Int. 2006 Mar 26 2 187-96
- Patients and patience: the pitfalls of primary biliary cirrhosis trials.
- Mayo MJ Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005 Dec 2 12 552-3
- Methotrexate (MTX) plus ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Combes B, Emerson SS, Flye NL, Munoz SJ, Luketic VA, Mayo MJ, McCashland TM, Zetterman RK, Peters MG, Di Bisceglie AM, Benner KG, Kowdley KV, Carithers RL, Rosoff L, Garcia-Tsao G, Boyer JL, Boyer TD, Martinez EJ, Bass NM, Lake JR, Barnes DS, Bonacini M, Lindsay KL, Mills AS, Markin RS, Rubin R, West AB, Wheeler DE, Contos MJ, Hofmann AF Hepatology 2005 Nov 42 5 1184-93
- Primary biliary cirrhosis in monozygotic and dizygotic twins: genetics, epigenetics, and environment.
- Selmi C, Mayo MJ, Bach N, Ishibashi H, Invernizzi P, Gish RG, Gordon SC, Wright HI, Zweiban B, Podda M, Gershwin ME Gastroenterology 2004 Aug 127 2 485-92
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Atlas of Gastroenterology, 6th edition
Mayo MJ, Thiele DL (2015). Wily Blackwell
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Textbook of Gastroenterology, 7th edition
Mayo MJ and Thiele DL (2015). Wily Blackwell
Complications of Cholestasis. In Cholestatic Liver Disease 2nd edition
Ahmed A and Mayo MJ (2014). Humana Press
Budd-Chiari Syndrome, Portal Vein Thrombosis and Other Vascular Disorders of the Liver.. In Handbook of Liver Diseases
Mayo MJ and Mitchell MC (2016).
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Best Doctors, Hepatology
Peer-nominated top 5 Hepatologists in the Dallas-Forth Worth area (2010-2016)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)
- Anerican College of Gastroenterology(ACG)
- European Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (EASL)