Dr. Mayo obtained her B.A. degree in Psychology from Northwestern University; Evanston, Illinois in 1986. She obtained her M.D. degree from Baylor College of Medicine; Houston, Texas in 1990. After her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at University of California, Irvine, California (1990-1993), she completed a fellowship in Gastroenterology/Hepatology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas (1993-1996). Dr. Mayo specializes in the diagnosis and management of acute and chronic liver diseases, and she enjoys establishing a friendly and supportive relationship with her patients. Dr. Mayo has a keen interest in immune-mediated and cholestatic liver diseases such as primary biliary cirrhosis, autoimmune hepatitis, and primary sclerosing cholangitis. She also has a special interest in the management of itching from liver disease. Dr. Mayo also conducts clinical trials investigating new treatments for primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, fatty liver, autoimmune hepatitis, and hepatorenal syndrome.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1990)
- University of California, Irvine (1991), Internal Medicine
- University of California, Irvine (1993), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Gastroenterology
- Autoimmune liver diseases
- Liver Disease in Pregnancy
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Stratification of hepatocellular carcinoma risk in primary biliary cirrhosis: a multicentre international study.
- Trivedi PJ, Lammers WJ, van Buuren HR, Parés A, Floreani A, Janssen HL, Invernizzi P, Battezzati PM, Ponsioen CY, Corpechot C, Poupon R, Mayo MJ, Burroughs AK, Nevens F, Mason AL, Kowdley KV, Lleo A, Caballeria L, Lindor KD, Hansen BE, Hirschfield GM Gut 2015 Jan
- Levels of Alkaline Phosphatase and Bilirubin are Surrogate Endpoints of Outcomes of Patients with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis - an International Follow-up Study.
- Lammers WJ, van Buuren HR, Hirschfield GM, Janssen HL, Invernizzi P, Mason AL, Ponsioen CY, Floreani A, Corpechot C, Mayo MJ, Battezzati PM, Parés A, Nevens F, Burroughs AK, Kowdley KV, Trivedi PJ, Kumagi T, Cheung A, Lleo A, Imam MH, Boonstra K, Cazzagon N, Franceschet I, Poupon R, Caballeria L, Pieri G, Kanwar PS, Lindor KD, Hansen BE Gastroenterology 2014 Aug
- Does Preeclampsia Involve the Pancreas?, A report of original research.
- Nelson DB, Duraiswamy S, McIntire DD, Mayo MJ, Leveno KJ J. Matern. Fetal. Neonatal. Med. 2014 Jun 1-10
- Primary biliary cirrhosis in 2014.
- Flores A, Mayo MJ Curr. Opin. Gastroenterol. 2014 May 30 3 245-52
- Corrigendum: Genome-Wide Analysis of DNA Methylation, Copy Number Variation, and Gene Expression in Monozygotic Twins Discordant for Primary Biliary Cirrhosis.
- Selmi C, Cavaciocchi F, Lleo A, Cheroni C, De Francesco R, Lombardi SA, De Santis M, Meda F, Raimondo MG, Crotti C, Folci M, Zammataro L, Mayo MJ, Bach N, Shimoda S, Gordon SC, Miozzo M, Invernizzi P, Podda M, Scavelli R, Martin MR, Seldin MF, LaSalle JM, Gershwin ME Front Immunol 2014 5 371
- Genome-wide analysis of DNA methylation, copy number variation, and gene expression in monozygotic twins discordant for primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Selmi C, Cavaciocchi F, Lleo A, Cheroni C, De Francesco R, Lombardi SA, De Santis M, Meda F, Raimondo MG, Crotti C, Folci M, Zammataro L, Mayo MJ, Bach N, Shimoda S, Gordon SC, Miozzo M, Invernizzi P, Podda M, Scavelli R, Martin MR, Lasalle JM, Gershwin ME Front Immunol 2014 5 128
- Cholestatic liver disease overlap syndromes.
- Mayo MJ Clin Liver Dis 2013 May 17 2 243-53
- Management of autoimmune hepatitis.
- Mayo MJ Curr. Opin. Gastroenterol. 2011 May 27 3 224-30
- Azathioprine metabolite measurements are not useful in following treatment of autoimmune hepatitis in Alaska Native and other non-Caucasian people.
- Ferucci ED, Hurlburt KJ, Mayo MJ, Livingston S, Deubner H, Gove J, Plotnik J, McMahon BJ Can. J. Gastroenterol. 2011 Jan 25 1 21-7
- Epigenetic investigation of variably X chromosome inactivated genes in monozygotic female twins discordant for primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Mitchell MM, Lleo A, Zammataro L, Mayo MJ, Invernizzi P, Bach N, Shimoda S, Gordon S, Podda M, Gershwin ME, Selmi C, LaSalle JM Epigenetics 2011 Jan 6 1 95-102
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Atlas of Gastroenterology, 6th edition
Mayo MJ, Thiele DL (2015). Wily Blackwell
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Textbook of Gastroenterology, 7th edition
Mayo MJ and Thiele DL (2015). Wily Blackwell
Complications of Cholestasis. In Cholestatic Liver Disease 2nd edition
Ahmed A and Mayo MJ (2014). Humana Press
Budd-Chiari Syndrome, Portal Vein Thrombosis and Other Vascular Disorders of the Liver.. In Handbook of Liver Diseases
Mayo MJ and Mitchell MC (2016).
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Best Doctors, Hepatology
Peer-nominated top 5 Hepatologists in the Dallas-Forth Worth area (2010-2016)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)
- Anerican College of Gastroenterology(ACG)
- European Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (EASL)