Dr. Mayo obtained her B.A. degree in Psychology from Northwestern University; Evanston, Illinois in 1986. She obtained her M.D. degree from Baylor College of Medicine; Houston, Texas in 1990. After her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at University of California, Irvine, California (1990-1993), she completed a fellowship in Gastroenterology/Hepatology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas (1993-1996). Dr. Mayo specializes in the diagnosis and management of acute and chronic liver diseases, and she enjoys establishing a friendly and supportive relationship with her patients. Dr. Mayo has a keen interest in immune-mediated and cholestatic liver diseases such as primary biliary cirrhosis, autoimmune hepatitis, and primary sclerosing cholangitis. She also has a special interest in the management of itching from liver disease. Dr. Mayo also conducts clinical trials investigating new treatments for primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, fatty liver, autoimmune hepatitis, and hepatorenal syndrome.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1990)
- University of California, Irvine (1991), Internal Medicine
- University of California, Irvine (1993), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Gastroenterology
- Autoimmune liver diseases
- Liver Disease in Pregnancy
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Updated Etiology and Significance of Elevated Bilirubin During Pregnancy: Changes Parallel Shift in Demographics and Vaccination Status.
- Duraiswamy S, Sheffield JS, Mcintire D, Leveno K, Mayo MJ Dig. Dis. Sci. 2016 Sep
- Predicting Outcomes of Primary Biliary Cholangitis Using the GLOBE Score.
- Mayo MJ Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y) 2015 Dec 11 12 842-4
- Development of a Successful Scholarly Activity and Research Program for Subspecialty Trainees.
- Mayo MJ, Rockey DC Am. J. Med. Sci. 2015 May
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases endpoints conference: design and endpoints for clinical trials in primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Silveira MG, Brunt EM, Heathcote J, Gores GJ, Lindor KD, Mayo MJ Hepatology 2010 Jul 52 1 349-59
- The 5-D itch scale: a new measure of pruritus.
- Elman S, Hynan LS, Gabriel V, Mayo MJ Br. J. Dermatol. 2010 Mar 162 3 587-93
- Prediction of clinical outcomes in primary biliary cirrhosis by serum enhanced liver fibrosis assay.
- Mayo MJ, Parkes J, Adams-Huet B, Combes B, Mills AS, Markin RS, Rubin R, Wheeler D, Contos M, West AB, Saldana S, Getachew Y, Butsch R, Luketic V, Peters M, Di Bisceglie A, Bass N, Lake J, Boyer T, Martinez E, Boyer J, Garcia-Tsao G, Barnes D, Rosenberg WM Hepatology 2008 Nov 48 5 1549-57
- Sertraline as a first-line treatment for cholestatic pruritus.
- Mayo MJ, Handem I, Saldana S, Jacobe H, Getachew Y, Rush AJ Hepatology 2007 Mar 45 3 666-74
- The Beneficial Effect of Beta-Blockers in Patients With Cirrhosis, Portal Hypertension and Ascites.
- Aday AW, Mayo MJ, Elliott A, Rockey DC Am. J. Med. Sci. 2016 Feb 351 2 169-76
- Ustekinumab for patients with primary biliary cholangitis who have an inadequate response to Ursodeoxycholic Acid: a proof-of-concept study.
- Hirschfield GM, Gershwin ME, Strauss R, Mayo MJ, Levy C, Zou B, Johanns J, Nnane IP, Dasgupta B, Li K, Selmi C, Marschall HU, Jones D, Lindor K Hepatology 2015 Nov
- Development and Validation of a Scoring System to Predict Outcomes of Patients With Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Receiving Ursodeoxycholic Acid Therapy.
- Lammers WJ, Hirschfield GM, Corpechot C, Nevens F, Lindor KD, Janssen HL, Floreani A, Ponsioen CY, Mayo MJ, Invernizzi P, Battezzati PM, Parés A, Burroughs AK, Mason AL, Kowdley KV, Kumagi T, Harms MH, Trivedi PJ, Poupon R, Cheung A, Lleo A, Caballeria L, Hansen BE, van Buuren HR Gastroenterology 2015 Aug
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Atlas of Gastroenterology, 6th edition
Mayo MJ, Thiele DL (2015). Wily Blackwell
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Textbook of Gastroenterology, 7th edition
Mayo MJ and Thiele DL (2015). Wily Blackwell
Complications of Cholestasis. In Cholestatic Liver Disease 2nd edition
Ahmed A and Mayo MJ (2014). Humana Press
Budd-Chiari Syndrome, Portal Vein Thrombosis and Other Vascular Disorders of the Liver.. In Handbook of Liver Diseases
Mayo MJ and Mitchell MC (2016).
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Best Doctors, Hepatology
Peer-nominated top 5 Hepatologists in the Dallas-Forth Worth area (2010-2016)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA)
- Anerican College of Gastroenterology(ACG)
- European Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (EASL)