Dr. Mayo obtained her B.A. degree in Psychology from Northwestern University; Evanston, Illinois in 1986. She obtained her M.D. degree from Baylor College of Medicine; Houston, Texas in 1990. After her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at University of California, Irvine, California (1990-1993), she completed a fellowship in Gastroenterology/Hepatology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas (1993-1996). Dr. Mayo specializes in the diagnosis and management of acute and chronic liver diseases, and she enjoys establishing a friendly and supportive relationship with her patients. Dr. Mayo has a keen interest in immune-mediated and cholestatic liver diseases such as primary biliary cirrhosis, autoimmune hepatitis, and primary sclerosing cholangitis. She also has a special interest in the management of itching from liver disease. Dr. Mayo also conducts clinical trials investigating new treatments for primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, fatty liver, autoimmune hepatitis, and hepatorenal syndrome.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1990)
- University of California, Irvine (1991), Internal Medicine
- University of California, Irvine (1993), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Gastroenterology
- Autoimmune liver diseases
- Liver Disease in Pregnancy
- Primary biliary cholangitis
- primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Updated Etiology and Significance of Elevated Bilirubin During Pregnancy: Changes Parallel Shift in Demographics and Vaccination Status.
- Duraiswamy S, Sheffield JS, Mcintire D, Leveno K, Mayo MJ Dig. Dis. Sci. 2016 Sep
- Predicting Outcomes of Primary Biliary Cholangitis Using the GLOBE Score.
- Mayo MJ Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y) 2015 Dec 11 12 842-4
- Development of a Successful Scholarly Activity and Research Program for Subspecialty Trainees.
- Mayo MJ, Rockey DC Am. J. Med. Sci. 2015 May
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases endpoints conference: design and endpoints for clinical trials in primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Silveira MG, Brunt EM, Heathcote J, Gores GJ, Lindor KD, Mayo MJ Hepatology 2010 Jul 52 1 349-59
- The 5-D itch scale: a new measure of pruritus.
- Elman S, Hynan LS, Gabriel V, Mayo MJ Br. J. Dermatol. 2010 Mar 162 3 587-93
- Prediction of clinical outcomes in primary biliary cirrhosis by serum enhanced liver fibrosis assay.
- Mayo MJ, Parkes J, Adams-Huet B, Combes B, Mills AS, Markin RS, Rubin R, Wheeler D, Contos M, West AB, Saldana S, Getachew Y, Butsch R, Luketic V, Peters M, Di Bisceglie A, Bass N, Lake J, Boyer T, Martinez E, Boyer J, Garcia-Tsao G, Barnes D, Rosenberg WM Hepatology 2008 Nov 48 5 1549-57
- Sertraline as a first-line treatment for cholestatic pruritus.
- Mayo MJ, Handem I, Saldana S, Jacobe H, Getachew Y, Rush AJ Hepatology 2007 Mar 45 3 666-74
- Diagnosis and management of autoimmune hepatitis in adults and children: 2019 practice guidance and guidelines from the American Association for the study of liver diseases.
- Mack CL, Adams D, Assis DN, Kerkar N, Manns MP, Mayo MJ, Vierling JM, Alsawas M, Murad MH, Czaja AJ, Hepatology 2019 Dec
- A Randomized, Controlled, Phase 2 Study of Maralixibat in the Treatment of Itching Associated With Primary Biliary Cholangitis.
- Mayo MJ, Pockros PJ, Jones D, Bowlus CL, Levy C, Patanwala I, Bacon B, Luketic V, Vuppalanchi R, Medendorp S, Dorenbaum A, Kennedy C, Novak P, Gu J, Apostol G, Hirschfield GM, Hepatol Commun 2019 Mar 3 3 365-381
- Primary Biliary Cholangitis: 2018 Practice Guidance from the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
- Lindor KD, Bowlus CL, Boyer J, Levy C, Mayo M, Hepatology 2019 01 69 1 394-419
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Atlas of Gastroenterology, 7th edition
Mayo MJ, (2020). Wily Blackwell
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. In Yamada's Textbook of Gastroenterology, 7th edition
Mayo MJ (2020). Wily Blackwell
Complications of Cholestasis. In Cholestatic Liver Disease 2nd edition
Ahmed A and Mayo MJ (2014). Humana Press
Budd-Chiari Syndrome, Portal Vein Thrombosis and Other Vascular Disorders of the Liver.. In Handbook of Liver Diseases
Mayo MJ and Mitchell MC (2016).
Honors & Awards
- Lyman Bihartz Teaching Award
Fellow- Nominated Teacher of the Year (2018)
- D Magazine Best Doctors
Peer Nominated Award of Excellence in Clinical Care (2015-2019)
- European Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (EASL) (2005)
- Anerican College of Gastroenterology(ACG) (1994)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) (1993)