Carlos L. Arteaga, M.D., a devoted cancer researcher and clinician, was named Director of the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center at UT Southwestern Medical Center in September 2017. He also serves as Associate Dean of Oncology Programs. Dr. Arteaga is internationally recognized for his work in laboratory-based translational research and advancing the care of breast cancer patients. The majority of Dr. Arteaga’s career has been as a physician-scientist in Medical Oncology at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center of Vanderbilt University, where he served as Associate Director for Translational/Clinical Research and Director of the Center for Cancer Targeted Therapies. At Vanderbilt, he also led a successful translational research program that includes a National Cancer Institute/National Institutes of Health SPORE award in breast cancer. He is a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation and the Association of American Physicians. He has earned numerous accolades from the American Cancer Society, the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology. A former President of the AACR, he serves on the boards of advisors of several cancer centers and breast cancer programs. Dr. Arteaga earned his medical degree from Facultad de Ciencias Médicas at the Universidad de Guayaquil in Ecuador. He trained in Internal Medicine at Emory University and in Medical Oncology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
- Medical School
- Universidad de Guayaquil, Ecuador (1980)
- Emory University School of Medicine (1984), Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio (1988), Hematology Oncology
- Phase Ib Study of Safety and Pharmacokinetics of the PI3K Inhibitor SAR245408 with the HER3-Neutralizing Human Antibody SAR256212 in Patients with Solid Tumors.
- Abramson VG, Supko JG, Ballinger T, Cleary JM, Hilton JF, Tolaney SM, Chau NG, Cho DC, Pearlberg J, Lager J, Shapiro GI, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Jul 23 14 3520-3528
- Buparlisib plus fulvestrant versus placebo plus fulvestrant in postmenopausal, hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer (BELLE-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.
- Baselga J, Im SA, Iwata H, Cortés J, De Laurentiis M, Jiang Z, Arteaga CL, Jonat W, Clemons M, Ito Y, Awada A, Chia S, Jagiello-Gruszfeld A, Pistilli B, Tseng LM, Hurvitz S, Masuda N, Takahashi M, Vuylsteke P, Hachemi S, Dharan B, Di Tomaso E, Urban P, Massacesi C, Campone M Lancet Oncol. 2017 Jul 18 7 904-916
- Extracellular Matrix/Integrin Signaling Promotes Resistance to Combined Inhibition of HER2 and PI3K in HER2(+) Breast Cancer.
- Hanker AB, Estrada MV, Bianchini G, Moore PD, Zhao J, Cheng F, Koch JP, Gianni L, Tyson DR, Sánchez V, Rexer BN, Sanders ME, Zhao Z, Stricker TP, Arteaga CL Cancer Res. 2017 Jun 77 12 3280-3292
- (18)F-Fluoroestradiol PET/CT Measurement of Estrogen Receptor Suppression during a Phase I Trial of the Novel Estrogen Receptor-Targeted Therapeutic GDC-0810: Using an Imaging Biomarker to Guide Drug Dosage in Subsequent Trials.
- Wang Y, Ayres KL, Goldman DA, Dickler MN, Bardia A, Mayer IA, Winer E, Fredrickson J, Arteaga CL, Baselga J, Manning HC, Mahmood U, Ulaner GA Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Jun 23 12 3053-3060
- Neoadjuvant Trials in ER(+) Breast Cancer: A Tool for Acceleration of Drug Development and Discovery.
- Guerrero-Zotano AL, Arteaga CL Cancer Discov 2017 Jun 7 6 561-574
- An Acquired HER2(T798I) Gatekeeper Mutation Induces Resistance to Neratinib in a Patient with HER2 Mutant-Driven Breast Cancer.
- Hanker AB, Brewer MR, Sheehan JH, Koch JP, Sliwoski GR, Nagy R, Lanman R, Berger MF, Hyman DM, Solit DB, He J, Miller V, Cutler RE, Lalani AS, Cross D, Lovly CM, Meiler J, Arteaga CL Cancer Discov 2017 Jun 7 6 575-585
- The brain microenvironment mediates resistance in luminal breast cancer to PI3K inhibition through HER3 activation.
- Kodack DP, Askoxylakis V, Ferraro GB, Sheng Q, Badeaux M, Goel S, Qi X, Shankaraiah R, Cao ZA, Ramjiawan RR, Bezwada D, Patel B, Song Y, Costa C, Naxerova K, Wong CSF, Kloepper J, Das R, Tam A, Tanboon J, Duda DG, Miller CR, Siegel MB, Anders CK, Sanders M, Estrada MV, Schlegel R, Arteaga CL, Brachtel E, Huang A, Fukumura D, Engelman JA, Jain RK Sci Transl Med 2017 May 9 391
- Kinome-Wide RNA Interference Screen Reveals a Role for PDK1 in Acquired Resistance to CDK4/6 Inhibition in ER-Positive Breast Cancer.
- Jansen VM, Bhola NE, Bauer JA, Formisano L, Lee KM, Hutchinson KE, Witkiewicz AK, Moore PD, Estrada MV, Sánchez V, Ericsson PG, Sanders ME, Pohlmann PR, Pishvaian MJ, Riddle DA, Dugger TC, Wei W, Knudsen ES, Arteaga CL Cancer Res. 2017 May 77 9 2488-2499
- Functional KRAS mutations and a potential role for PI3K/AKT activation in Wilms tumors.
- Polosukhina D, Love HD, Correa H, Su Z, Dahlman KB, Pao W, Moses HL, Arteaga CL, Lovvorn HN, Zent R, Clark PE Mol Oncol 2017 Apr 11 4 405-421
- Inhibition of TGF-ß with neutralizing antibodies prevents radiation-induced acceleration of metastatic cancer progression.
- Biswas S, Guix M, Rinehart C, Dugger TC, Chytil A, Moses HL, Freeman ML, Arteaga CL J. Clin. Invest. 2017 Mar 127 3 1116