Carlos L. Arteaga, M.D., was appointed Director of the Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center and Associate Dean of Oncology Programs at UT Southwestern Medical Center in September 2017. He holds the Lisa K. Simmons Distinguished Chair in Comprehensive Oncology and brings translational research and cancer center leadership experience to the Simmons Cancer Center.
He earned his medical degree at the University of Guayaquil in Ecuador and trained in internal medicine and medical oncology at Emory University and the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, respectively. He joined Vanderbilt University in 1989, where he held the Donna S. Hall Chair in Breast Cancer Research and served as Director of the Center for Cancer Targeted Therapies, Director of the Breast Cancer Program, and Associate Director for Translational/Clinical Research at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center prior to UT Southwestern.
Dr. Arteaga is an internationally recognized expert in breast cancer with more than 350 publications in the areas of oncogenes and breast tumor initiation and progression, targeted therapies and biomarkers of drug action and resistance, and investigator-initiated clinical trials in breast cancer. His research is or has been continuously funded by the National Cancer Institute, American Cancer Society (ACS), Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program, Stand Up 2 Cancer (SU2C), Susan G. Komen and Breast Cancer Research foundations, Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas, and industry.
His contributions have been published in Nature Medicine, Cancer Cell, Cancer Discovery, Science Translational Medicine, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Cell Metabolism, Journal of Clinical Investigation, Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of American, and Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
During his career, he has received several awards, including the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Richard & Hinda Rosenthal Award, the ACS Clinical Research Professor Award (2007-2017), the Gianni Bonadonna Award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (2009), the Brinker Award from the Susan G. Komen Foundation (2011), the Prize for Scientific Excellence in Medicine from the American-Italian Cancer Foundation (2015), and the Clinical Investigator Award from the Department of Veteran Affairs.
Dr. Arteaga is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2013) and Fellow of the AACR Academy (2015). He is an elected member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (1998) and the Association of American Physicians (2005). He served on the NCI Board of Scientific Counselors (1999-2004) and NCI Subcommittee A (2004-2008).
Dr. Arteaga also serves on the advisory boards of several academic breast cancer programs, SU2C, Susan G. Komen Foundation, and five NCI-designated cancer centers. Since 2009, he has co-chaired the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium. In 2019, he was elected to serve on the Board of Directors of the American Association of Cancer Institutes (AACI). He was elected and served as the 2014-15 President of AACR, the largest cancer research organization in the world.
- Medical School
- Universidad de Guayaquil, Ecuador (1980)
- Emory University School of Medicine (1984), Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio (1988), Hematology Oncology
- Genomic profiling of ER(+) breast cancers after short-term estrogen suppression reveals alterations associated with endocrine resistance.
- Giltnane JM, Hutchinson KE, Stricker TP, Formisano L, Young CD, Estrada MV, Nixon MJ, Du L, Sanchez V, Ericsson PG, Kuba MG, Sanders ME, Mu XJ, Van Allen EM, Wagle N, Mayer IA, Abramson V, G?mez H, Rizzo M, Toy W, Chandarlapaty S, Mayer EL, Christiansen J, Murphy D, Fitzgerald K, Wang K, Ross JS, Miller VA, Stephens PJ, Yelensky R, Garraway L, Shyr Y, Meszoely I, Balko JM, Arteaga CL Sci Transl Med 2017 Aug 9 402
- HER2-Overexpressing Breast Cancers Amplify FGFR Signaling upon Acquisition of Resistance to Dual Therapeutic Blockade of HER2.
- Hanker AB, Garrett JT, Estrada MV, Moore PD, Ericsson PG, Koch JP, Langley E, Singh S, Kim PS, Frampton GM, Sanford E, Owens P, Becker J, Groseclose MR, Castellino S, Joensuu H, Huober J, Brase JC, Majjaj S, Brohée S, Venet D, Brown D, Baselga J, Piccart M, Sotiriou C, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Aug 23 15 4323-4334
- A Randomized Phase II Neoadjuvant Study of Cisplatin, Paclitaxel With or Without Everolimus in Patients with Stage II/III Triple-Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC): Responses and Long-term Outcome Correlated with Increased Frequency of DNA Damage Response Gene Mutations, TNBC Subtype, AR Status, and Ki67.
- Jovanovic B, Mayer IA, Mayer EL, Abramson VG, Bardia A, Sanders ME, Kuba MG, Estrada MV, Beeler JS, Shaver TM, Johnson KC, Sanchez V, Rosenbluth JM, Dillon PM, Forero-Torres A, Chang JC, Meszoely IM, Grau AM, Lehmann BD, Shyr Y, Sheng Q, Chen SC, Arteaga CL, Pietenpol JA Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Aug 23 15 4035-4045
- Association of FGFR1 with ERamaintains ligand-independent ER transcription and mediates resistance to estrogen deprivation in ER+ breast cancer.
- Formisano L, Stauffer KM, Young CD, Bhola NE, Guerrero-Zotano AL, Jansen VM, Estrada MM, Hutchinson KE, Giltnane JM, Schwarz LJ, Lu Y, Balko JM, Deas O, Cairo S, Judde JG, Mayer IA, Sanders M, Dugger TC, Bianco R, Stricker T, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Jul
- Phase Ib Study of Safety and Pharmacokinetics of the PI3K Inhibitor SAR245408 with the HER3-Neutralizing Human Antibody SAR256212 in Patients with Solid Tumors.
- Abramson VG, Supko JG, Ballinger T, Cleary JM, Hilton JF, Tolaney SM, Chau NG, Cho DC, Pearlberg J, Lager J, Shapiro GI, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Jul 23 14 3520-3528
- Buparlisib plus fulvestrant versus placebo plus fulvestrant in postmenopausal, hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer (BELLE-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.
- Baselga J, Im SA, Iwata H, Cortés J, De Laurentiis M, Jiang Z, Arteaga CL, Jonat W, Clemons M, Ito Y, Awada A, Chia S, Jagiello-Gruszfeld A, Pistilli B, Tseng LM, Hurvitz S, Masuda N, Takahashi M, Vuylsteke P, Hachemi S, Dharan B, Di Tomaso E, Urban P, Massacesi C, Campone M Lancet Oncol. 2017 Jul 18 7 904-916
- Extracellular Matrix/Integrin Signaling Promotes Resistance to Combined Inhibition of HER2 and PI3K in HER2(+) Breast Cancer.
- Hanker AB, Estrada MV, Bianchini G, Moore PD, Zhao J, Cheng F, Koch JP, Gianni L, Tyson DR, Sánchez V, Rexer BN, Sanders ME, Zhao Z, Stricker TP, Arteaga CL Cancer Res. 2017 Jun 77 12 3280-3292
- (18)F-Fluoroestradiol PET/CT Measurement of Estrogen Receptor Suppression during a Phase I Trial of the Novel Estrogen Receptor-Targeted Therapeutic GDC-0810: Using an Imaging Biomarker to Guide Drug Dosage in Subsequent Trials.
- Wang Y, Ayres KL, Goldman DA, Dickler MN, Bardia A, Mayer IA, Winer E, Fredrickson J, Arteaga CL, Baselga J, Manning HC, Mahmood U, Ulaner GA Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Jun 23 12 3053-3060
- Neoadjuvant Trials in ER(+) Breast Cancer: A Tool for Acceleration of Drug Development and Discovery.
- Guerrero-Zotano AL, Arteaga CL Cancer Discov 2017 Jun 7 6 561-574
- An Acquired HER2(T798I) Gatekeeper Mutation Induces Resistance to Neratinib in a Patient with HER2 Mutant-Driven Breast Cancer.
- Hanker AB, Brewer MR, Sheehan JH, Koch JP, Sliwoski GR, Nagy R, Lanman R, Berger MF, Hyman DM, Solit DB, He J, Miller V, Cutler RE, Lalani AS, Cross D, Lovly CM, Meiler J, Arteaga CL Cancer Discov 2017 Jun 7 6 575-585