Carlos L. Arteaga, M.D., a devoted cancer researcher and clinician, was named Director of the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center at UT Southwestern Medical Center in September 2017. He also serves as Associate Dean of Oncology Programs. Dr. Arteaga is internationally recognized for his work in laboratory-based translational research and advancing the care of breast cancer patients. The majority of Dr. Arteaga’s career has been as a physician-scientist in Medical Oncology at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center of Vanderbilt University, where he served as Associate Director for Translational/Clinical Research and Director of the Center for Cancer Targeted Therapies. At Vanderbilt, he also led a successful translational research program that includes a National Cancer Institute/National Institutes of Health SPORE award in breast cancer. He is a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation and the Association of American Physicians. He has earned numerous accolades from the American Cancer Society, the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology. A former President of the AACR, he serves on the boards of advisors of several cancer centers and breast cancer programs. Dr. Arteaga earned his medical degree from Facultad de Ciencias Médicas at the Universidad de Guayaquil in Ecuador. He trained in Internal Medicine at Emory University and in Medical Oncology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
- Medical School
- Universidad de Guayaquil, Ecuador (1980)
- Emory University School of Medicine (1984), Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio (1988), Hematology Oncology
- Genomic profiling of ER(+) breast cancers after short-term estrogen suppression reveals alterations associated with endocrine resistance.
- Giltnane JM, Hutchinson KE, Stricker TP, Formisano L, Young CD, Estrada MV, Nixon MJ, Du L, Sanchez V, Ericsson PG, Kuba MG, Sanders ME, Mu XJ, Van Allen EM, Wagle N, Mayer IA, Abramson V, G?mez H, Rizzo M, Toy W, Chandarlapaty S, Mayer EL, Christiansen J, Murphy D, Fitzgerald K, Wang K, Ross JS, Miller VA, Stephens PJ, Yelensky R, Garraway L, Shyr Y, Meszoely I, Balko JM, Arteaga CL Sci Transl Med 2017 Aug 9 402
- HER2-Overexpressing Breast Cancers Amplify FGFR Signaling upon Acquisition of Resistance to Dual Therapeutic Blockade of HER2.
- Hanker AB, Garrett JT, Estrada MV, Moore PD, Ericsson PG, Koch JP, Langley E, Singh S, Kim PS, Frampton GM, Sanford E, Owens P, Becker J, Groseclose MR, Castellino S, Joensuu H, Huober J, Brase JC, Majjaj S, Brohée S, Venet D, Brown D, Baselga J, Piccart M, Sotiriou C, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Aug 23 15 4323-4334
- A Randomized Phase II Neoadjuvant Study of Cisplatin, Paclitaxel With or Without Everolimus in Patients with Stage II/III Triple-Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC): Responses and Long-term Outcome Correlated with Increased Frequency of DNA Damage Response Gene Mutations, TNBC Subtype, AR Status, and Ki67.
- Jovanovic B, Mayer IA, Mayer EL, Abramson VG, Bardia A, Sanders ME, Kuba MG, Estrada MV, Beeler JS, Shaver TM, Johnson KC, Sanchez V, Rosenbluth JM, Dillon PM, Forero-Torres A, Chang JC, Meszoely IM, Grau AM, Lehmann BD, Shyr Y, Sheng Q, Chen SC, Arteaga CL, Pietenpol JA Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Aug 23 15 4035-4045
- Association of FGFR1 with ERamaintains ligand-independent ER transcription and mediates resistance to estrogen deprivation in ER+ breast cancer.
- Formisano L, Stauffer KM, Young CD, Bhola NE, Guerrero-Zotano AL, Jansen VM, Estrada MM, Hutchinson KE, Giltnane JM, Schwarz LJ, Lu Y, Balko JM, Deas O, Cairo S, Judde JG, Mayer IA, Sanders M, Dugger TC, Bianco R, Stricker T, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Jul
- Phase Ib Study of Safety and Pharmacokinetics of the PI3K Inhibitor SAR245408 with the HER3-Neutralizing Human Antibody SAR256212 in Patients with Solid Tumors.
- Abramson VG, Supko JG, Ballinger T, Cleary JM, Hilton JF, Tolaney SM, Chau NG, Cho DC, Pearlberg J, Lager J, Shapiro GI, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Jul 23 14 3520-3528
- Buparlisib plus fulvestrant versus placebo plus fulvestrant in postmenopausal, hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer (BELLE-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.
- Baselga J, Im SA, Iwata H, Cortés J, De Laurentiis M, Jiang Z, Arteaga CL, Jonat W, Clemons M, Ito Y, Awada A, Chia S, Jagiello-Gruszfeld A, Pistilli B, Tseng LM, Hurvitz S, Masuda N, Takahashi M, Vuylsteke P, Hachemi S, Dharan B, Di Tomaso E, Urban P, Massacesi C, Campone M Lancet Oncol. 2017 Jul 18 7 904-916
- Extracellular Matrix/Integrin Signaling Promotes Resistance to Combined Inhibition of HER2 and PI3K in HER2(+) Breast Cancer.
- Hanker AB, Estrada MV, Bianchini G, Moore PD, Zhao J, Cheng F, Koch JP, Gianni L, Tyson DR, Sánchez V, Rexer BN, Sanders ME, Zhao Z, Stricker TP, Arteaga CL Cancer Res. 2017 Jun 77 12 3280-3292
- (18)F-Fluoroestradiol PET/CT Measurement of Estrogen Receptor Suppression during a Phase I Trial of the Novel Estrogen Receptor-Targeted Therapeutic GDC-0810: Using an Imaging Biomarker to Guide Drug Dosage in Subsequent Trials.
- Wang Y, Ayres KL, Goldman DA, Dickler MN, Bardia A, Mayer IA, Winer E, Fredrickson J, Arteaga CL, Baselga J, Manning HC, Mahmood U, Ulaner GA Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Jun 23 12 3053-3060
- Neoadjuvant Trials in ER(+) Breast Cancer: A Tool for Acceleration of Drug Development and Discovery.
- Guerrero-Zotano AL, Arteaga CL Cancer Discov 2017 Jun 7 6 561-574
- An Acquired HER2(T798I) Gatekeeper Mutation Induces Resistance to Neratinib in a Patient with HER2 Mutant-Driven Breast Cancer.
- Hanker AB, Brewer MR, Sheehan JH, Koch JP, Sliwoski GR, Nagy R, Lanman R, Berger MF, Hyman DM, Solit DB, He J, Miller V, Cutler RE, Lalani AS, Cross D, Lovly CM, Meiler J, Arteaga CL Cancer Discov 2017 Jun 7 6 575-585