Carlos L. Arteaga, M.D., a devoted cancer researcher and clinician, was named Director of the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center at UT Southwestern Medical Center in September 2017. He also serves as Associate Dean of Oncology Programs. Dr. Arteaga is internationally recognized for his work in laboratory-based translational research and advancing the care of breast cancer patients. The majority of Dr. Arteaga’s career has been as a physician-scientist in Medical Oncology at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center of Vanderbilt University, where he served as Associate Director for Translational/Clinical Research and Director of the Center for Cancer Targeted Therapies. At Vanderbilt, he also led a successful translational research program that includes a National Cancer Institute/National Institutes of Health SPORE award in breast cancer. He is a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation and the Association of American Physicians. He has earned numerous accolades from the American Cancer Society, the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology. A former President of the AACR, he serves on the boards of advisors of several cancer centers and breast cancer programs. Dr. Arteaga earned his medical degree from Facultad de Ciencias Médicas at the Universidad de Guayaquil in Ecuador. He trained in Internal Medicine at Emory University and in Medical Oncology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
- Medical School
- Universidad de Guayaquil, Ecuador (1980)
- Emory University School of Medicine (1984), Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio (1988), Hematology Oncology
- Motivation for Launching a Cancer Metastasis Inhibition (CMI) Program.
- Pulley JM, Jerome RN, Ogletree ML, Bernard GR, Lavieri RR, Zaleski NM, Hong CC, Shirey-Rice JK, Arteaga CL, Mayer IA, Holroyd KJ, Cook RS Target Oncol 2017 Dec
- Ribociclib plus letrozole versus letrozole alone in patients with de novo HR+, HER2- advanced breast cancer in the randomized MONALEESA-2 trial.
- O'Shaughnessy J, Petrakova K, Sonke GS, Conte P, Arteaga CL, Cameron DA, Hart LL, Villanueva C, Jakobsen E, Beck JT, Lindquist D, Souami F, Mondal S, Germa C, Hortobagyi GN Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2017 Nov
- An ERBB1-3 Neutralizing Antibody Mixture With High Activity Against Drug-Resistant HER2+ Breast Cancers With ERBB Ligand Overexpression.
- Schwarz LJ, Hutchinson KE, Rexer BN, Estrada MV, Gonzalez Ericsson PI, Sanders ME, Dugger TC, Formisano L, Guerrero-Zotano A, Red-Brewer M, Young CD, Lantto J, Pedersen MW, Kragh M, Horak ID, Arteaga CL J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2017 Nov 109 11
- The Attenuation Distribution Across the Long Axis of Breast Cancer Liver Metastases at CT: A Quantitative Biomarker for Predicting Overall Survival.
- Abramson RG, Lakomkin N, Hainline A, Kang H, Hutson MS, Arteaga CL AJR Am J Roentgenol 2017 Oct W1-W7
- MYC and MCL1 Cooperatively Promote Chemotherapy-Resistant Breast Cancer Stem Cells via Regulation of Mitochondrial Oxidative Phosphorylation.
- Lee KM, Giltnane JM, Balko JM, Schwarz LJ, Guerrero-Zotano AL, Hutchinson KE, Nixon MJ, Estrada MV, Sánchez V, Sanders ME, Lee T, Gómez H, Lluch A, Pérez-Fidalgo JA, Wolf MM, Andrejeva G, Rathmell JC, Fesik SW, Arteaga CL Cell Metab. 2017 Oct 26 4 633-647.e7
- Tumor p38MAPK signaling enhances breast carcinoma vascularization and growth by promoting expression and deposition of pro-tumorigenic factors.
- Limoge M, Safina A, Truskinovsky AM, Aljahdali I, Zonneville J, Gruevski A, Arteaga CL, Bakin AV Oncotarget 2017 Sep 8 37 61969-61981
- Genomic profiling of ER(+) breast cancers after short-term estrogen suppression reveals alterations associated with endocrine resistance.
- Giltnane JM, Hutchinson KE, Stricker TP, Formisano L, Young CD, Estrada MV, Nixon MJ, Du L, Sanchez V, Ericsson PG, Kuba MG, Sanders ME, Mu XJ, Van Allen EM, Wagle N, Mayer IA, Abramson V, G?mez H, Rizzo M, Toy W, Chandarlapaty S, Mayer EL, Christiansen J, Murphy D, Fitzgerald K, Wang K, Ross JS, Miller VA, Stephens PJ, Yelensky R, Garraway L, Shyr Y, Meszoely I, Balko JM, Arteaga CL Sci Transl Med 2017 Aug 9 402
- HER2-Overexpressing Breast Cancers Amplify FGFR Signaling upon Acquisition of Resistance to Dual Therapeutic Blockade of HER2.
- Hanker AB, Garrett JT, Estrada MV, Moore PD, Ericsson PG, Koch JP, Langley E, Singh S, Kim PS, Frampton GM, Sanford E, Owens P, Becker J, Groseclose MR, Castellino S, Joensuu H, Huober J, Brase JC, Majjaj S, Brohée S, Venet D, Brown D, Baselga J, Piccart M, Sotiriou C, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Aug 23 15 4323-4334
- A Randomized Phase II Neoadjuvant Study of Cisplatin, Paclitaxel With or Without Everolimus in Patients with Stage II/III Triple-Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC): Responses and Long-term Outcome Correlated with Increased Frequency of DNA Damage Response Gene Mutations, TNBC Subtype, AR Status, and Ki67.
- Jovanovic B, Mayer IA, Mayer EL, Abramson VG, Bardia A, Sanders ME, Kuba MG, Estrada MV, Beeler JS, Shaver TM, Johnson KC, Sanchez V, Rosenbluth JM, Dillon PM, Forero-Torres A, Chang JC, Meszoely IM, Grau AM, Lehmann BD, Shyr Y, Sheng Q, Chen SC, Arteaga CL, Pietenpol JA Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Aug 23 15 4035-4045
- Association of FGFR1 with ERamaintains ligand-independent ER transcription and mediates resistance to estrogen deprivation in ER+ breast cancer.
- Formisano L, Stauffer KM, Young CD, Bhola NE, Guerrero-Zotano AL, Jansen VM, Estrada MM, Hutchinson KE, Giltnane JM, Schwarz LJ, Lu Y, Balko JM, Deas O, Cairo S, Judde JG, Mayer IA, Sanders M, Dugger TC, Bianco R, Stricker T, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2017 Jul