Carlos L. Arteaga, M.D., a devoted cancer researcher and clinician, was named Director of the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center at UT Southwestern Medical Center in September 2017. He also serves as Associate Dean of Oncology Programs. Dr. Arteaga is internationally recognized for his work in laboratory-based translational research and advancing the care of breast cancer patients. The majority of Dr. Arteaga’s career has been as a physician-scientist in Medical Oncology at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center of Vanderbilt University, where he served as Associate Director for Translational/Clinical Research and Director of the Center for Cancer Targeted Therapies. At Vanderbilt, he also led a successful translational research program that includes a National Cancer Institute/National Institutes of Health SPORE award in breast cancer. He is a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation and the Association of American Physicians. He has earned numerous accolades from the American Cancer Society, the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology. A former President of the AACR, he serves on the boards of advisors of several cancer centers and breast cancer programs. Dr. Arteaga earned his medical degree from Facultad de Ciencias Médicas at the Universidad de Guayaquil in Ecuador. He trained in Internal Medicine at Emory University and in Medical Oncology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
- Medical School
- Universidad de Guayaquil, Ecuador (1980)
- Emory University School of Medicine (1984), Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio (1988), Hematology Oncology
- Breast Cancer.
- Hanker AB, Estrada MV, Bianchini G, Moore PD, Zhao J, Cheng F, Koch JP, Gianni L, Tyson DR, Sánchez V, Rexer BN, Sanders ME, Zhao Z, Stricker TP, Arteaga CL Cancer Res. 2019 Feb 79 4 873
- F-Fluoroestradiol PET/CT Measurement of Estrogen Receptor Suppression during a Phase I Trial of the Novel Estrogen Receptor-Targeted Therapeutic GDC-0810: Using an Imaging Biomarker to Guide Drug Dosage in Subsequent Trials.
- Wang Y, Ayres KL, Goldman DA, Dickler MN, Bardia A, Mayer IA, Winer E, Fredrickson J, Arteaga CL, Baselga J, Manning HC, Mahmood U, Ulaner GA Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 Feb 25 4 1435
- Breast Cancer.
- Formisano L, Stauffer KM, Young CD, Bhola NE, Guerrero-Zotano AL, Jansen VM, Estrada MM, Hutchinson KE, Giltnane JM, Schwarz LJ, Lu Y, Balko JM, Deas O, Cairo S, Judde JG, Mayer IA, Sanders M, Dugger TC, Bianco R, Stricker T, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 Feb 25 4 1433
- C2 Domain Deletions Hyperactivate Phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K), Generate Oncogene Dependence, and Are Exquisitely Sensitive to PI3Ka Inhibitors.
- Croessmann S, Sheehan JH, Lee KM, Sliwoski G, He J, Nagy R, Riddle D, Mayer IA, Balko JM, Lanman R, Miller VA, Cantley LC, Meiler J, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 Feb 25 4 1432
- Breast Cancers Resistant to Prolonged Neoadjuvant Letrozole Exhibit an E2F4 Transcriptional Program Sensitive to CDK4/6 Inhibitors.
- Guerrero-Zotano AL, Stricker TP, Formisano L, Hutchinson KE, Stover DG, Lee KM, Schwarz LJ, Giltnane JM, Estrada MV, Jansen VM, Servetto A, Gavilá J, Perez-Fidalgo JA, Lluch A, Llombart-Cussac A, Bayar MA, Michiels S, André F, Arnedos M, Guillem V, Ruiz-Simon A, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 Feb 25 4 1431
- Breast Cancer?
- Unni N, Sudhan DR, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 Feb 25 4 1430
- A Phase II Randomized Study of Neoadjuvant Letrozole Plus Alpelisib for Hormone Receptor-Positive, Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2-Negative Breast Cancer (NEO-ORB).
- Mayer IA, Prat A, Egle D, Blau S, Perez Fidalgo JA, Gnant M, Fasching PA, Colleoni M, Wolff AC, Winer EP, Singer CF, Hurvitz SA, Garcia Estevez L, van Dam PA, Kümmel S, Mundhenke C, Holmes FA, Babbar N, Charbonnier L, Diaz-Padilla I, Vogl FD, Sellami D, Arteaga CL Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 Feb
- Breast Cancer: A Tool for Acceleration of Drug Development and Discovery.
- Guerrero-Zotano AL, Arteaga CL Cancer Discov 2019 Feb 9 2 304
- Gatekeeper Mutation Induces Resistance to Neratinib in a Patient with HER2 Mutant-Driven Breast Cancer.
- Hanker AB, Brewer MR, Sheehan JH, Koch JP, Sliwoski GR, Nagy R, Lanman R, Berger MF, Hyman DM, Solit DB, He J, Miller V, Cutler RE, Lalani AS, Cross D, Lovly CM, Meiler J, Arteaga CL Cancer Discov 2019 Feb 9 2 303
- Exploring Biomarkers of Phosphoinositide 3-Kinase Pathway Activation in the Treatment of Hormone Receptor Positive, Human Epidermal Growth Receptor 2 Negative Advanced Breast Cancer.
- Kaklamani VG, Richardson AL, Arteaga CL Oncologist 2019 Jan