Carlos L. Arteaga, M.D., was appointed Director of the Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center and Associate Dean of Oncology Programs at UT Southwestern Medical Center in September 2017. He holds the Lisa K. Simmons Distinguished Chair in Comprehensive Oncology and brings translational research and cancer center leadership experience to the Simmons Cancer Center.
He earned his medical degree at the University of Guayaquil in Ecuador and trained in internal medicine and medical oncology at Emory University and the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, respectively. He joined Vanderbilt University in 1989, where he held the Donna S. Hall Chair in Breast Cancer Research and served as Director of the Center for Cancer Targeted Therapies, Director of the Breast Cancer Program, and Associate Director for Translational/Clinical Research at the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center prior to UT Southwestern.
Dr. Arteaga is an internationally recognized expert in breast cancer with more than 350 publications in the areas of oncogenes and breast tumor initiation and progression, targeted therapies and biomarkers of drug action and resistance, and investigator-initiated clinical trials in breast cancer. His research is or has been continuously funded by the National Cancer Institute, American Cancer Society (ACS), Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program, Stand Up 2 Cancer (SU2C), Susan G. Komen and Breast Cancer Research foundations, Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas, and industry.
His contributions have been published in Nature Medicine, Cancer Cell, Cancer Discovery, Science Translational Medicine, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Cell Metabolism, Journal of Clinical Investigation, Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of American, and Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
During his career, he has received several awards, including the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Richard & Hinda Rosenthal Award, the ACS Clinical Research Professor Award (2007-2017), the Gianni Bonadonna Award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (2009), the Brinker Award from the Susan G. Komen Foundation (2011), the Prize for Scientific Excellence in Medicine from the American-Italian Cancer Foundation (2015), and the Clinical Investigator Award from the Department of Veteran Affairs.
Dr. Arteaga is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2013) and Fellow of the AACR Academy (2015). He is an elected member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (1998) and the Association of American Physicians (2005). He served on the NCI Board of Scientific Counselors (1999-2004) and NCI Subcommittee A (2004-2008).
Dr. Arteaga also serves on the advisory boards of several academic breast cancer programs, SU2C, Susan G. Komen Foundation, and five NCI-designated cancer centers. Since 2009, he has co-chaired the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium. In 2019, he was elected to serve on the Board of Directors of the American Association of Cancer Institutes (AACI). He was elected and served as the 2014-15 President of AACR, the largest cancer research organization in the world.
- Medical School
- Universidad de Guayaquil, Ecuador (1980)
- Emory University School of Medicine (1984), Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio (1988), Hematology Oncology
- Effect of Capivasertib in Patients With an AKT1 E17K-Mutated Tumor: NCI-MATCH Subprotocol EAY131-Y Nonrandomized Trial.
- Kalinsky K, Hong F, McCourt CK, Sachdev JC, Mitchell EP, Zwiebel JA, Doyle LA, McShane LM, Li S, Gray RJ, Rubinstein LV, Patton D, Williams PM, Hamilton SR, Conley BA, O'Dwyer PJ, Harris LN, Arteaga CL, Chen AP, Flaherty KT, JAMA Oncol 2020 Dec
- Molecular Landscape and Actionable Alterations in a Genomically Guided Cancer Clinical Trial: National Cancer Institute Molecular Analysis for Therapy Choice (NCI-MATCH).
- Flaherty KT, Gray RJ, Chen AP, Li S, McShane LM, Patton D, Hamilton SR, Williams PM, Iafrate AJ, Sklar J, Mitchell EP, Harris LN, Takebe N, Sims DJ, Coffey B, Fu T, Routbort M, Zwiebel JA, Rubinstein LV, Little RF, Arteaga CL, Comis R, Abrams JS, O'Dwyer PJ, Conley BA, J Clin Oncol 2020 Nov 38 33 3883-3894
- Dabrafenib and Trametinib in Patients With Tumors With BRAFV600E Mutations: Results of the NCI-MATCH Trial Subprotocol H.
- Salama AKS, Li S, Macrae ER, Park JI, Mitchell EP, Zwiebel JA, Chen HX, Gray RJ, McShane LM, Rubinstein LV, Patton D, Williams PM, Hamilton SR, Armstrong DK, Conley BA, Arteaga CL, Harris LN, O'Dwyer PJ, Chen AP, Flaherty KT, J Clin Oncol 2020 Nov 38 33 3895-3904
- A versatile oblique plane microscope for large-scale and high-resolution imaging of subcellular dynamics.
- Sapoznik E, Chang BJ, Huh J, Ju RJ, Azarova EV, Pohlkamp T, Welf ES, Broadbent D, Carisey AF, Stehbens SJ, Lee KM, Marín A, Hanker AB, Schmidt JC, Arteaga CL, Yang B, Kobayashi Y, Tata PR, Kruithoff R, Doubrovinski K, Shepherd DP, Millett-Sikking A, York AG, Dean KM, Fiolka RP, Elife 2020 11 9
- Phase 2 study of buparlisib (BKM120), a pan-class I PI3K inhibitor, in patients with metastatic triple-negative breast cancer.
- Garrido-Castro AC, Saura C, Barroso-Sousa R, Guo H, Ciruelos E, Bermejo B, Gavilá J, Serra V, Prat A, Paré L, Céliz P, Villagrasa P, Li Y, Savoie J, Xu Z, Arteaga CL, Krop IE, Solit DB, Mills GB, Cantley LC, Winer EP, Lin NU, Rodon J, Breast Cancer Res 2020 11 22 1 120
- The Molecular Analysis for Therapy Choice (NCI-MATCH) Trial: Lessons for Genomic Trial Design.
- Flaherty KT, Gray R, Chen A, Li S, Patton D, Hamilton SR, Williams PM, Mitchell EP, Iafrate AJ, Sklar J, Harris LN, McShane LM, Rubinstein LV, Sims DJ, Routbort M, Coffey B, Fu T, Zwiebel JA, Little RF, Marinucci D, Catalano R, Magnan R, Kibbe W, Weil C, Tricoli JV, Alexander B, Kumar S, Schwartz GK, Meric-Bernstam F, Lih CJ, McCaskill-Stevens W, Caimi P, Takebe N, Datta V, Arteaga CL, Abrams JS, Comis R, O'Dwyer PJ, Conley BA, J Natl Cancer Inst 2020 Oct 112 10 1021-1029
- Proline rich 11 (PRR11) overexpression amplifies PI3K signaling and promotes antiestrogen resistance in breast cancer.
- Lee KM, Guerrero-Zotano AL, Servetto A, Sudhan DR, Lin CC, Formisano L, Jansen VM, González-Ericsson P, Sanders ME, Stricker TP, Raj G, Dean KM, Fiolka R, Cantley LC, Hanker AB, Arteaga CL, Nat Commun 2020 10 11 1 5488
- Phase II Study of AZD4547 in Patients With Tumors Harboring Aberrations in the FGFR Pathway: Results From the NCI-MATCH Trial (EAY131) Subprotocol W.
- Chae YK, Hong F, Vaklavas C, Cheng HH, Hammerman P, Mitchell EP, Zwiebel JA, Ivy SP, Gray RJ, Li S, McShane LM, Rubinstein LV, Patton D, Williams PM, Hamilton SR, Mansfield A, Conley BA, Arteaga CL, Harris LN, O'Dwyer PJ, Chen AP, Flaherty KT, J Clin Oncol 2020 Jul 38 21 2407-2417
- TBCRC 032 IB/II Multicenter Study: Molecular Insights to AR Antagonist and PI3K Inhibitor Efficacy in Patients with AR+ Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer.
- Lehmann BD, Abramson VG, Sanders ME, Mayer EL, Haddad TC, Nanda R, Van Poznak C, Storniolo AM, Nangia JR, Gonzalez-Ericsson PI, Sanchez V, Johnson KN, Abramson RG, Chen SC, Shyr Y, Arteaga CL, Wolff AC, Pietenpol JA, Clin Cancer Res 2020 05 26 9 2111-2123
- Overcoming Endocrine Resistance in Breast Cancer.
- Hanker AB, Sudhan DR, Arteaga CL, Cancer Cell 2020 Apr 37 4 496-513