Dr. Karanam earned his Ph.D. at the University of Greifswald in Germany with Professor Uwe Volker and he later joined Dr. Michael Story’s lab to study the role of miRNAs in high-risk head and neck cancer. His long-term research interests involve understanding key developmental pathways of gene alteration and protein expression in cancer and disease phenotypes. Dr. Karanam is currently working on elucidating novel mechanisms of TTFields mechanisms of action. His contribution to finding a novel role of TTFields in DNA damage response and replication stress pathways has led to proposing novel combination therapies using PARP1 inhibitors and DNA damaging agents together with TTFields. He recently received a career development award from AACR to understand the system level effects caused by TTFields exposure through trans-omics approaches in order to find novel combination therapies that can be translated into tangible benefits for cancer patients.
- An overview of potential novel mechanisms of action underlying Tumor Treating Fields-induced cancer cell death and their clinical implications.
- Karanam NK, Story MD, Int J Radiat Biol 2020 Oct 1-11
- Tumor treating fields cause replication stress and interfere with DNA replication fork maintenance: Implications for cancer therapy.
- Karanam NK, Ding L, Aroumougame A, Story MD, Transl Res 2019 Oct
- miR-125a-5p Functions as Tumor Suppressor microRNA And Is a Marker of Locoregional Recurrence And Poor prognosis in Head And Neck Cancer.
- Vo DT, Karanam NK, Ding L, Saha D, Yordy JS, Giri U, Heymach JV, Story MD, Neoplasia 2019 Sep 21 9 849-862
- Tumor-treating fields elicit a conditional vulnerability to ionizing radiation via the downregulation of BRCA1 signaling and reduced DNA double-strand break repair capacity in non-small cell lung cancer cell lines.
- Karanam NK, Srinivasan K, Ding L, Sishc B, Saha D, Story MD, Cell Death Dis 2017 03 8 3 e2711
- Proteome analysis reveals new mechanisms of Bcl11b-loss driven apoptosis.
- Karanam NK, Grabarczyk P, Hammer E, Scharf C, Venz S, Gesell-Salazar M, Barthlen W, Przybylski GK, Schmidt CA, Völker U, J. Proteome Res. 2010 Aug 9 8 3799-811