Woo-Ping Ge obtained his B.S. in biochemistry (2000) at East China Normal University and his Ph.D. in neurobiology (2005) at the Institute of Neuroscience, Chinese Academy of Sciences. His doctoral research focused on neuron-glia signaling. Dr. Ge conducted his postdoctoral research on glial cell generation at the University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Ge joined the faculty as an assistant professor at Children’s Research Institute (CRI) at the UT Southwestern Medical Center in September 2013.
The Ge lab is interested in studying the interactions between brain vasculature (blood vessels) and the nervous system (glial cells and neurons). By combining electrophysiology and in vivo imaging with genetic methods, they hope to determine how the brain builds the gliovascular and neurovascular network during development and how this network can be damaged as a result of a stroke and then repaired.
- East China Normal University (2000), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (2005), Neuroscience
- Development of new tools
- Glia-Glioma Interactions
- Neuron/Glia-Pericyte Interactions
- Control of cerebral ischemia with magnetic nanoparticles.
- Jia JM, Chowdary PD, Gao X, Ci B, Li W, Mulgaonkar A, Plautz EJ, Hassan G, Kumar A, Stowe AM, Yang SH, Zhou W, Sun X, Cui B, Ge WP Nat. Methods 2016 Dec
- Local generation of glia is a major astrocyte source in postnatal cortex.
- Ge WP, Miyawaki A, Gage FH, Jan YN, Jan LY Nature 2012 Apr 484 7394 376-80
- Dividing glial cells maintain differentiated properties including complex morphology and functional synapses.
- Ge WP, Zhou W, Luo Q, Jan LY, Jan YN. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 106(1) 328-33
- Long-term potentiation of neuron-glia synapses mediated by Ca2+-permeable AMPA receptors.
- Ge WP*, Yang XJ*, Zhang Z, Wang HK, Shen W, Deng QD, Duan S.(co-first author) Science 2006 312(5779) 1533-7
- Chemical genetic identification of NDR1/2 kinase substrates AAK1 and Rabin8 Uncovers their roles in dendrite arborization and spine development.
- Ultanir SK, Hertz NT, Li G, Ge WP, Burlingame AL, Pleasure SJ, Shokat KM, Jan LY, Jan YN. Neuron 2012 73(6) 1127-42
- Bidirectional regulation of dendritic voltage-gated potassium channels by the fragile X mental retardation protein.
- Lee HY, Ge WP, Huang W, He Y, Wang GX, Rowson-Baldwin A, Smith SJ, Jan YN, Jan LY. Neuron. 2011 72(4)
- G protein-activated inwardly rectifying potassium channels mediate depotentiation of long-term potentiation.
- Chung HJ*, Ge WP*, Qian X, Wiser O, Jan YN, Jan LY. (co-first author) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 106(2) 635-40
- Persistent enhancement of neuron-glia signaling mediated by increased extracellular K+ accompanying long-term synaptic potentiation.
- Ge WP, Duan S. J Neurophysiol. 2007 97(3) 2564-9
- Identification and two-photon imaging of oligodendrocyte in CA1 region of hippocampal slices.
- Zhou W, Ge WP, Zeng S, Duan S, Luo Q. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 352(3) 598-602
- A toolbox for light control of Drosophila behaviors through Channelrhodopsin 2-mediated photoactivation of targeted neurons.
- Zhang W, Ge W, Wang Z. Eur J Neurosci. 2007 26(9) 2405-16
Honors & Awards
- Bugher-American Heart Association Dan Adams Thinking Outside the Box Award
- NINDS Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00)
- 100 Excellent Ph.D. theses of China
- China's Top 10 Advances in Basic Research in 2006
- Human Frontier Science Program Long-term Fellowship Award