Clinical Psychologist, Children's Health
Assistant Professor, UT Southwestern Medical Center
Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship
Baylor College of Medicine / Texas Children's Hospital (2010-2012)
Predoctoral Psychology Internship
University of Miami / Jackson Memorial Medical Center (2009-2010)
- Oral Roberts University (2005), Psychology
- Graduate School
- Regent University (2008), Clinical Psychology
- Graduate School
- Regent University (2010), Clinical Psychology
- Adolescent nonsuicidal self-injury (NSSI)
- Interpersonal Psychological Theory of Suicide (IPTS)
- SOARS model: Risk assessment of nonsuicidal self-injury
- Westers, NJ, Muehlenkamp, JJ, Lau, M Contemp Pediatr 2016 7 33 25-31
- Associations between connections to parents and friends and non-suicidal self-injury among adolescents: The mediating role of developmental assets
- Taliaferro LA, Jang ST, Westers NJ, Muehlenkamp JJ, Whitlock JL, McMorris BJ Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry 2019
- Double trouble: Nonsuicidal self-injury and its relationship to suicidal ideation and number of past suicide attempts in clinical adolescents.
- Mbroh H, Zullo L, Westers NJ, Stone L, King J, Kennard B, Emslie G, Stewart SM J Affect Disord 2018 238 579-585
- Nonsuicidal self-injury: A neglected public health problem among adolescents.
- Westers, NJ, Culyba, AJ Am J Public Health 2018 8 108 981-983
- Frequency and Methods of Nonsuicidal Self-Injury in Relation to Acquired Capability for Suicide Among Adolescents.
- Matney J, Westers NJ, Horton SE, King JD, Eaddy M, Emslie GJ, Kennard BD, Stewart SM Arch Suicide Res 2017 Jan
- Violence and Mental Health: Trauma-Informed Practice and Wellness Approach to Violence Victimization.
- Westers NJ, Kistin CJ, Bair-Merritt MH Adolesc Med State Art Rev 2016 Fall 27 2 236-250
- Frequency of Exposure to and Engagement in Nonsuicidal Self-Injury Among Inpatient Adolescents.
- Zhu L, Westers NJ, Horton SE, King JD, Diederich A, Stewart SM, Kennard BD Arch Suicide Res 2016 Mar
- Preliminary Examination of the Interpersonal Psychological Theory of Suicide in an Adolescent Clinical Sample.
- Horton SE, Hughes JL, King JD, Kennard BD, Westers NJ, Mayes TL, Stewart SM J Abnorm Child Psychol 2015 Dec
- An exploration of adolescent nonsuicidal self-injury and religious coping.
- Westers NJ, Rehfuss M, Olson L, Wiemann CM Int J Adolesc Med Health 2013 Oct 1-5
- The role of forgiveness in adolescents who engage in nonsuicidal self-injury.
- Westers NJ, Rehfuss M, Olson L, Biron D J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 2012 Jun 200 6 535-41
- International Society for the Study of Self-Injury (2012)
- Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine (2011)
- Texas Psychological Association (2011)
- American Psychological Association (2007)