Dr. Smith-Morris is a medical anthropologist with expertise in social scientific study of chronic and complex illness, qualitative and mixed-method research including community- and home-based participatory work, and minority and Indigenous health. She received her B.A. in Anthropology from Emory University, an M.S. in Rehabilitation Services from Florida State University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Anthropology from The University of Arizona.
- Moral Distress Under Structural Violence: Clinician Experience in Brazil Caring for Low-Income Families of Children with Severe Disabilities.
- Sale ACG, Smith-Morris C, Camb Q Healthc Ethics 2023 Jan 1-13
- Professional competition amidst intractable maternal mortality: Midwifery in rural Pakistan during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Siddiqui S, Smith-Morris C, Soc Sci Med 2022 Nov 313 115426
- Decolonizing Care at Diagnosis: Culture, History, and Family at an Urban Inter-tribal Clinic.
- Smith-Morris C, Rodriguez S, Soto R, Spencer M, Meneghini L, Med Anthropol Q 2021 Sep 35 3 364-385
- Blind spots in telemedicine: a qualitative study of staff workarounds to resolve gaps in diabetes management.
- Bouskill K, Smith-Morris C, Bresnick G, Cuadros J, Pedersen ER, BMC Health Serv Res 2018 Aug 18 1 617
- Epidemiological placism in public health emergencies: Ebola in two Dallas neighborhoods.
- Smith-Morris C, Soc Sci Med 2017 Apr 179 106-114
- Indigenous sovereignty, data sourcing, and knowledge sharing for health.
- Smith-Morris C, Juaréz-López BM, Tapia A, Shahim B, Glob Public Health 2022 Nov 17 11 2665-2675
- Diabetic Retinopathy and the Cascade into Vision Loss.
- Smith-Morris C, Bresnick GH, Cuadros J, Bouskill KE, Pedersen ER, Med Anthropol 2020 39 2 109-122
- Reconfiguring Metabolism: Critical Ethnographies of Obesity and Diabetes.
- Hardon A, Smith-Morris C, Med Anthropol 2019 38 8 777-780
- Care as Virtue, Care as Critical Frame: A Discussion of Four Recent Ethnographies.
- Smith-Morris C, Med Anthropol 2018 Jul 37 5 426-432
- An ethnography on perceptions of pain in Dutch "Natural" childbirth.
- Logsdon K, Smith-Morris C, Midwifery 2017 Dec 55 67-74
Diabetes Among the Pima: Stories of Survival
Carolyn Smith-Morris (2006). Tucson, AZ, The University of Arizona Press
Indigenous Communalism: Belonging, Healthy Communities, and Decolonizing the Collective
Carolyn Smith-Morris (2020). New Brunswick, NJ, Rutgers University Press
Chronic Conditions, Fluid States: Chronicity and the Anthropology of Illness
Lenore Manderson and Carolyn Smith-Morris (Ed.) (2010). New Brunswick, NJ, Rutgers University Press
Diagnostic Controversy: Cultural Perspectives on Competing Knowledge in Healthcare
Carolyn Smith-Morris (Ed.) (2015). New York, NY, Routledge Publishing
- American Anthropological Association (1995)
- Society for Applied Anthropology (2000)
- Society for Medical Anthropology (1995)