Christopher Lu, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
Graduate Programs Immunology
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Christopher Lu, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and part of the Graduate Program in Immunology at the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. Dr. Lu is a member of the Division of Nephrology.
Originally from Washington, D.C., Dr. Lu holds a bachelor's degree in chemistry from Haverford College in Haverford, Pennsylvania. He earned his medical degree at Harvard Medical School in Boston. He completed internal medicine residency training at Bronx Municipal Hospital Center in the Bronx, New York, where he was Chief Medical Resident. He then completed research fellowships in pathology and immunology, nephrology and transplant nephrology, and general medicine at Harvard Medical School.
A Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine in Nephrology, Dr. Lu joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1989. He was promoted to Professor in 1995.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Lu is part of the Transplant Quality Improvement Committee.
Dr. Lu is a member of the American Society of Nephrology, the American Society of Transplantation, and the American Society for Clinical Investigation.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1974)
- Bronx Municipal Hospital Center (1975), Internal Medicine
- Bronx Municipal Hospital Center (1977), Internal Medicine
- Harvard Medical School (1980), Pathology
- Harvard Medical School (1981), Nephrology
- acute kidney injury (acute renal failure)
- transplant rejection
- The inflammatory response to ischemic acute kidney injury: a result of the ?right stuff? in the ?wrong place.?
- Lu, C.Y., J Hartono, M. Senitko, J. Chen. Current Opinion in Nephrology & Hypertension 2007 16 (2) 72-89
- Perspectives in basic science: Hypothesis: is renal allograft rejection initiated by the response to injury sustained during the transplant process?
- Lu, C.Y., Penfield, J.G., Kielar, M.L., Vazquez, M.A., Jeyarajah, D.R Kidney International 1999 55 2157-2168
- Acute kidney injury: the beginning of the end of the dark ages.
- Winterberg PD, Lu CY Am. J. Med. Sci. 2012 Oct 344 4 318-25
- Acute kidney injury: a conspiracy of Toll-like receptor 4 on endothelia, leukocytes, and tubules.
- Lu CY, Winterberg PD, Chen J, Hartono JR Pediatr. Nephrol. 2012 Oct 27 10 1847-54
Ch 88: The inflammatory response to ischemic acute renal injury. In Seldin and Giebisch's The Kidney: Physiology and Pathophysiology
Lu, Christopher Y. (2013). London, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Invited lecturer
Symposium on Endothelium in Acute Kidney Injury, Annual Meeting of the American Society of Nephrology (2011)
- invited lecturer
US Food and Drug Agency (FDA) symposium on therapy of acute kidney injury (2011)
American Society of Nephrology (2010)
- Permanent Member
NIH Pathobiol Kidney Dis Initial Rev Grp 2006-2010 (2010)
Texas Transplantation Society (2008)
Kidney/ Pancreas Committee, Am Soc Transplant Phys (1996)
- NIH Research Career Devel Award
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Fellow, American Society of Nephrology
- American Association of Immunologists
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Transplantation