My research is focused on growth factor and nutrient signaling pathways that regulate pancreatic islet cell function and developing novel in vitro models to monitor secretion and expression of insulin and glucagon.
- Purdue University (2007), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Indiana Univ-Purdue Univ Indpl (2012), Biochemistry
- Chromomycin A2 potently inhibits glucose-stimulated insulin secretion from pancreatic ß cells.
- Kalwat MA, Hwang IH, Macho J, Grzemska MG, Yang JZ, McGlynn K, MacMillan JB, Cobb MH. J Gen Physiol 2018 12 150 1747-1757
- Mechanisms of the amplifying pathway of insulin secretion in the ß cell.
- Kalwat MA, Cobb MH Pharmacol. Ther. 2017 May
- Insulin promoter-driven Gaussia luciferase-based insulin secretion biosensor assay for discovery of ß-cell glucose-sensing pathways.
- Kalwat MA, Wichaidit C, Nava Garcia AY, McCoy MK, McGlynn K, Hwang IH, MacMillan JB, Posner BA, Cobb MH ACS Sens 2016 Oct 1 10 1208-1212
- Signaling mechanisms of glucose-induced F-actin remodeling in pancreatic islet ß cells.
- Kalwat MA, Thurmond DC Exp. Mol. Med. 2013 Aug 45 e37
- Sucralose activates an ERK1/2-ribosomal protein S6 signaling axis.
- Guerra ML, Kalwat MA, McGlynn K, Cobb MH FEBS Open Bio 2017 Feb 7 2 174-186
- Isoxazole Alters Metabolites and Gene Expression, Decreasing Proliferation and Promoting a Neuroendocrine Phenotype in ß-Cells.
- Kalwat MA, Huang Z, Wichaidit C, McGlynn K, Earnest S, Savoia C, Dioum EM, Schneider JW, Hutchison MR, Cobb MH ACS Chem. Biol. 2016 Apr 11 4 1128-36
- A p21-activated kinase (PAK1) signaling cascade coordinately regulates F-actin remodeling and insulin granule exocytosis in pancreatic ß cells.
- Kalwat MA, Yoder SM, Wang Z, Thurmond DC Biochem. Pharmacol. 2013 Mar 85 6 808-16
- Gelsolin associates with the N terminus of syntaxin 4 to regulate insulin granule exocytosis.
- Kalwat MA, Wiseman DA, Luo W, Wang Z, Thurmond DC Mol. Endocrinol. 2012 Jan 26 1 128-41
- Department of Pharmacology (2018)