Dr. Leveno is a member of the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Division of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He is also the Director of the Obstetrical Quality and Research Center and an author/editor of the textbook Williams Obstetrics.
A 1968 graduate of Creighton School of Medicine, Dr. Leveno completed an internship in general surgery at Creighton before serving in the U.S. Army Medical Corp. (1969-73). He completed a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at St. Joseph Hospital in Phoenix, AZ, in 1976; and a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at UT Southwestern in 1978. That same year, he joined the faculty of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at UT Southwestern.
Dr. Leveno became the Chief of Obsetrics at Parkland Memorial Hospital in 1984 and served in that capacity until 2006. Under his watch, Parkland deliveries increased from 11,592 to 16,307. He was also responsible for a number of innovations that reduced congestion, relieved overburdened house staff, and improved patient access to quality care.
Dr. Leveno was the architect of a prenatal care system that now is accessed by more than 97 percent of all women delivering at Parkland. He organized an obstetrical service that integrated prenatal, delivery, and postpartum care into one unified system; and was instrumental in development of a low-risk delivery unit and a nurse midwifery program.
Dr. Leveno's unwavering belief that physicians are responsible for measuring and improving the quality of care they provide has inspired generations of OB/GYN faculty and led to hundreds of peer-reviewed publication describing Parkland Obstetrics. His computerization of obstetrical data continues to facilitate quality improvement and outcomes research. And, today with support from the Simmons Sisters Fund, it has become the Obstetrical Quality and Research Center.
Board certified in obstetrics and gynecology as well as maternal-fetal medicine, Dr. Leveno's administrative and clinical responsibilities are in the Parkland Health and Hospital System.
- University of Notre Dame (1964)
- Medical School
- Creighton University (1968)
- Williams Manual of Obstetrics
- Leveno KJ, Cunningham FG, Gant NF, Alexander JM, Bloom SL, Casey BM, Dashe JS, Sheffield J, Yost NP 2007 22nd Edition New York, McGraw Hill
- Beneficial effects of antenatal repeated steroids study: Impact of repeated doses of antenatal corticosteroids on placental growth and histologic findings
- Sawady J, Mercer BM, Wapner RJ, Zhao Y, Sorokin Y, Johnson F, Dudley DJ, Spong CY, Peaceman AM, Leveno KJ, et al. for NICHD Maternal-fetal Medicine Units Network Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007 197 281-8
- Risk of uterine rupture and adverse perinatal outcome at term after cesarean delivery
- Spong CY, Landon MB, Gilbert S, Rouse DJ, Leveno KJ, et al. for NICHD Maternal-fetal Medicine Units Network Obstet Gynecol 2007 110 801-7
- Long-term outcomes after repeat doses of antenatal corticosteroids
- Wapner RJ, Sorokin Y, Mele L, Johnson F, Dudley DJ, Spong CY, Peaceman AM, Leveno KJ, et al. for NICHD Maternal-fetal Medicine Units Network N Engl J Med 2007 357 1190-8
- Williams Obstetrics
- Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Hauth JC, Gilstrap II LC, Wenstrom KD (eds) 2005 22nd Edition New York, McGraw Hill
- Previous preterm cesarean delivery and risk of subsequent uterine rupture
- Sciscione AC, Landon MB, Leveno KJ, et al. for NICHD Maternal-fetal Medicine Units Network Obstet Gynecol 2008 111 648-653
- Editorial: Rising cesarean and preterm birth rates -- Are they related?
- Leveno, KJ Obstet Gynecol 2008 111 810-811
- Labor outcomes with increasing number of prior vaginal births after cesarean delivery
- Mercer BM, Gilbert S, Landon MB, Spong CY, Leveno KJ, et al. for NICHD Maternal-fetal Medicine Units Network Obstet Gynecol 2008 111 285-91
- Neonatal mortality and morbidity rates in late preterm births compared with births at term
- McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 2008 111 35-41
- Uterine contractions preceding labor
- Pates JA, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 2007 110 566-9
Williams Obstetrics, 25th Edition
Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS, Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY (Ed.) (2018). New York, McGraw-Hill Education
Honors & Awards
- National Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems
Accountability and quality improvement, Honorable Mention (2003)
- Distinguished Physician Award
Parkland Memorial Hospital (1998)
- National Faculty Award
Excellence in resident education, CREOG (1994)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation
- Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine