Dr. Lee obtained his B.A. from Amherst College and received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He did his training in Internal Medicine at the Presbyterian Hospital, New York City (Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center) and served as Chief Resident on the Internal Medicine service. He was Honorary Registrar and Research Fellow to Dr. Roger Williams at the Liver Unit, Kings College Hospital, London from 1973-74. He has been on the faculty of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and was Director of the Gastroenterology Division at the Medical University of South Carolina before coming to UT Southwestern in 1990.
- Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1967)
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1968), Medicine
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1973), Internal Medicine
- Kings College School of Medicine (1974), Gastroenterology & Liver Diseases
- Acute liver failure
- Drug-induced hepatotoxicity
- Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C
- Multiple Admissions for Acetaminophen (APAP) Overdose: APAP Frequent Fliers, a New Entity?
- Yang E, Peng L, Lee WM Hepatology 2018 Apr
- Safety, Tolerability and Pharmacokinetics of L-Ornithine Phenylacetate in Patients with Acute Liver Injury/Failure and Hyperammonemia.
- Stravitz RT, Gottfried M, Durkalski V, Fontana RJ, Hanje AJ, Koch D, Hameed B, Ganger D, Subramanian RM, Bukofzer S, Ravis WR, Clasen K, Sherker A, Little L, Lee WM Hepatology 2017 Oct
- The Natural History of Severe Acute Liver Injury.
- Koch DG, Speiser JL, Durkalski V, Fontana RJ, Davern T, McGuire B, Stravitz RT, Larson AM, Liou I, Fix O, Schilsky ML, McCashland T, Hay JE, Murray N, Shaikh OS, Ganger D, Zaman A, Han SB, Chung RT, Brown RS, Munoz S, Reddy KR, Rossaro L, Satyanarayana R, Hanje AJ, Olson J, Subramanian RM, Karvellas C, Hameed B, Sherker AH, Lee WM, Reuben A Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2017 Apr
- An Immunoassay to Rapidly Measure Acetaminophen Protein Adducts Accurately Identifies Patients with Acute Liver Injury or Failure.
- Roberts DW, Lee WM, Hinson JA, Bai S, Swearingen CJ, Stravitz RT, Reuben A, Letzig L, Simpson PM, Rule J, Fontana RJ, Ganger D, Reddy KR, Liou I, Fix O, James LP Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2016 Sep
- Development of a Model to Predict Transplant-free Survival of Patients with Acute Liver Failure.
- Koch DG, Tillman H, Durkalski V, Lee WM, Reuben A Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2016 Apr
- Outcomes in Adults With Acute Liver Failure Between 1998 and 2013: An Observational Cohort Study.
- Reuben A, Tillman H, Fontana RJ, Davern T, McGuire B, Stravitz RT, Durkalski V, Larson AM, Liou I, Fix O, Schilsky M, McCashland T, Hay JE, Murray N, Shaikh OS, Ganger D, Zaman A, Han SB, Chung RT, Smith A, Brown R, Crippin J, Harrison ME, Koch D, Munoz S, Reddy KR, Rossaro L, Satyanarayana R, Hassanein T, Hanje AJ, Olson J, Subramanian R, Karvellas C, Hameed B, Sherker AH, Robuck P, Lee WM Ann. Intern. Med. 2016 Apr
- NAC improves transplant free survival in non-APAP Acute Liver Failure
- WM Lee, et al. Gastroenterology September 2009 7 856-864
- Relationship Between Metabolic Syndrome, Alanine Aminotransferase Levels, and Liver Disease Severity in a Multiethnic North American Cohort With Chronic Hepatitis B.
- Khalili M, Shuhart MC, Lombardero M, Feld JJ, Kleiner DE, Chung RT, Terrault NA, Lisker-Melman M, Sanyal A, Lok AS Diabetes Care 2018 Mar
- Bleeding Complications in Acute Liver Failure.
- Stravitz RT, Ellerbe C, Durkalski V, Schilsky M, Fontana RJ, Peterseim C, Lee WM Hepatology 2017 Dec
- Comment on: MARS System Effectively Replaces Hepatic Function in Severe Acute Liver Failure.
- Karvellas CJ, Stravitz RT, Fontana RJ, Ganger D, Lee WM Ann. Surg. 2017 Nov
Acute Liver Failure
Lee WM and Williams R. (1997). London, Cambridge University Press
Honors & Awards
- Alumni Gold Medal for Clinical Excellence from Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Distinguished Clinician Educator/Mentor Award, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Hyman Zimmerman Memorial Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Leon Schiff Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- A. Blaine Brower Traveling Scholar
American College of Physicians (0)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (0)
American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (0)
- Thomas A. and Shirley W. Roe Award
Journal of the South Carolina Medical Association (0)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (2015)
- American College of Physicians (1976)
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association