William Lee, M.D.
Endowed Title Meredith Mosle Chair in Liver Disease in Honor of Dr. William M. Lee
Department Internal Medicine
William Lee, M. D. , is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases. He holds the Meredith Mosle Chair in Liver Disease in Honor of Dr. William M. Lee.
Originally from New York, Dr. Lee received his medical degree from Columbia University. He completed his residency in internal medicine at Presbyterian Hospital in New York, serving as Chief Resident. He completed advanced training through a research fellowship at Kings College Hospital Medical School, London.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and gastroenterology, Dr. Lee served on the faculty of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Medical University of South Carolina. He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1990.
Dr. Lee’s research interests include acute liver failure, drug-induced hepatotoxicity, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C. His investigations have resulted in more than 400 publications in peer-reviewed journals. In addition, he has presented his findings at scientific conferences throughout the United States and around the world.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Lee has mentored and taught graduate and medical students as well as research and clinical fellows. He is a board member for the Austin Street Shelter and has served on the boards of other shelters and nonprofit groups. .
Dr. Lee is a fellow of the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease the American Gastroenterological Association, the American College of Physicians, and the American College of Gastroenterology.
He was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2018, 2020, 2021, and 2022.
- Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1967)
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1968), Medicine
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1973), Internal Medicine
- Kings College School of Medicine (1974), Gastroenterology & Liver Diseases
- Acute liver failure
- Drug-induced hepatotoxicity
- Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C
- Liver Transplantation for Acetaminophen-Induced Acute Liver Failure: Role of Psychiatric Comorbidity in Listing Decisions and Outcomes.
- Simmons OL, Meinzer C, Rule J, Lee WM, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2019 Nov
- Acute liver failure.
- Stravitz RT, Lee WM, Lancet 2019 Sep 394 10201 869-881
- Acetaminophen is Undetectable in Plasma From More Than Half of Patients Believed to Have Acute Liver Failure Due to Overdose.
- Leventhal TM, Gottfried M, Olson JC, Subramanian RM, Hameed B, Lee WM Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019 Feb
- Host Genetic Variant in CXCL16 May Be Associated With Hepatitis B Virus-Related Acute Liver Failure.
- Ajmera V, Huang H, Dao D, Feld JJ, Lau DT, Patel K, Rule JA, Daly M, Lee WM, Chung RT, Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol 2019 7 2 477-479.e4
- Acute Liver Failure of Indeterminate Etiology: A Comprehensive Systematic Approach by An Expert Committee to Establish Causality.
- Ganger DR, Rule J, Rakela J, Bass N, Reuben A, Stravitz RT, Sussman N, Larson AM, James L, Chiu C, Lee WM Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2018 Jun
- Multiple Admissions for Acetaminophen (APAP) Overdose: APAP Frequent Fliers, a New Entity?
- Yang E, Peng L, Lee WM Hepatology 2018 Apr
- Safety, Tolerability and Pharmacokinetics of L-Ornithine Phenylacetate in Patients with Acute Liver Injury/Failure and Hyperammonemia.
- Stravitz RT, Gottfried M, Durkalski V, Fontana RJ, Hanje AJ, Koch D, Hameed B, Ganger D, Subramanian RM, Bukofzer S, Ravis WR, Clasen K, Sherker A, Little L, Lee WM Hepatology 2017 Oct
- Public Health: Acetaminophen (APAP) Hepatotoxicity- Isn't It Time for APAP to Go Away?
- Lee WM J. Hepatol. 2017 Jul
- The Natural History of Severe Acute Liver Injury.
- Koch DG, Speiser JL, Durkalski V, Fontana RJ, Davern T, McGuire B, Stravitz RT, Larson AM, Liou I, Fix O, Schilsky ML, McCashland T, Hay JE, Murray N, Shaikh OS, Ganger D, Zaman A, Han SB, Chung RT, Brown RS, Munoz S, Reddy KR, Rossaro L, Satyanarayana R, Hanje AJ, Olson J, Subramanian RM, Karvellas C, Hameed B, Sherker AH, Lee WM, Reuben A Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2017 Apr
- An Immunoassay to Rapidly Measure Acetaminophen Protein Adducts Accurately Identifies Patients with Acute Liver Injury or Failure.
- Roberts DW, Lee WM, Hinson JA, Bai S, Swearingen CJ, Stravitz RT, Reuben A, Letzig L, Simpson PM, Rule J, Fontana RJ, Ganger D, Reddy KR, Liou I, Fix O, James LP Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2016 Sep
Acute Liver Failure
Lee WM and Williams R. (1997). London, Cambridge University Press
Honors & Awards
- Alumni Gold Medal for Clinical Excellence from Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Distinguished Clinician Educator/Mentor Award, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Hyman Zimmerman Memorial Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Leon Schiff Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- A. Blaine Brower Traveling Scholar
American College of Physicians (0)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (0)
American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (0)
- Thomas A. and Shirley W. Roe Award
Journal of the South Carolina Medical Association (0)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (2015)
- American College of Physicians (1976)
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association