Dr. Lee obtained his B.A. from Amherst College and received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He did his training in Internal Medicine at the Presbyterian Hospital, New York City (Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center) and served as Chief Resident on the Internal Medicine service. He was Honorary Registrar and Research Fellow to Dr. Roger Williams at the Liver Unit, Kings College Hospital, London from 1973-74. He has been on the faculty of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and was Director of the Gastroenterology Division at the Medical University of South Carolina before coming to UT Southwestern in 1990.
- Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1967)
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1968), Medicine
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1973), Internal Medicine
- Kings College School of Medicine (1974), Gastroenterology & Liver Diseases
- Acute liver failure
- Drug-induced hepatotoxicity
- Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C
- Multiple Admissions for Acetaminophen (APAP) Overdose: APAP Frequent Fliers, a New Entity?
- Yang E, Peng L, Lee WM Hepatology 2018 Apr
- Relationship Between Metabolic Syndrome, Alanine Aminotransferase Levels, and Liver Disease Severity in a Multiethnic North American Cohort With Chronic Hepatitis B.
- Khalili M, Shuhart MC, Lombardero M, Feld JJ, Kleiner DE, Chung RT, Terrault NA, Lisker-Melman M, Sanyal A, Lok AS Diabetes Care 2018 Mar
- Bleeding Complications in Acute Liver Failure.
- Stravitz RT, Ellerbe C, Durkalski V, Schilsky M, Fontana RJ, Peterseim C, Lee WM Hepatology 2017 Dec
- Comment on: MARS System Effectively Replaces Hepatic Function in Severe Acute Liver Failure.
- Karvellas CJ, Stravitz RT, Fontana RJ, Ganger D, Lee WM Ann. Surg. 2017 Nov
- Safety, Tolerability and Pharmacokinetics of L-Ornithine Phenylacetate in Patients with Acute Liver Injury/Failure and Hyperammonemia.
- Stravitz RT, Gottfried M, Durkalski V, Fontana RJ, Hanje AJ, Koch D, Hameed B, Ganger D, Subramanian RM, Bukofzer S, Ravis WR, Clasen K, Sherker A, Little L, Lee WM Hepatology 2017 Oct
- Viral Surveillance in Serum Samples From Patients With Acute Liver Failure By Metagenomic Next-Generation Sequencing.
- Somasekar S, Lee D, Rule J, Naccache SN, Stone M, Busch MP, Sanders C, Lee WM, Chiu CY Clin. Infect. Dis. 2017 Oct 65 9 1477-1485
- The association between FABP7 serum levels with survival and neurological complications in acetaminophen-induced acute liver failure: a nested case-control study.
- Karvellas CJ, Speiser JL, Tremblay M, Lee WM, Rose CF Ann Intensive Care 2017 Oct 7 1 99
- Psychosocial and behavioral factors in acetaminophen-related acute liver failure and liver injury.
- Pezzia C, Sanders C, Welch S, Bowling A, Lee WM J Psychosom Res 2017 Oct 101 51-57
- miR-122 protects mice and human hepatocytes from acetaminophen toxicity by regulating CYP1A2 and CYP2E1 expression.
- Chowdhary V, Teng KY, Thakral S, Zhang B, Lin CH, Wani N, Bruschweiler-Li L, Zhang X, James L, Yang D, Junge N, Brüschweiler R, Lee WM, Ghoshal K Am. J. Pathol. 2017 Sep
- Prevalence of Hepatitis B Antiviral Drug Resistance Variants in North American Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B Not Receiving Antiviral Treatment.
- Lok AS, Ganova-Raeva L, Cloonan Y, Punkova L, Lin HS, Lee WM, Ghany MG J. Viral Hepat. 2017 Jun
Acute Liver Failure
Lee WM and Williams R. (1997). London, Cambridge University Press
Honors & Awards
- Alumni Gold Medal for Clinical Excellence from Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Distinguished Clinician Educator/Mentor Award, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Hyman Zimmerman Memorial Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Leon Schiff Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- A. Blaine Brower Traveling Scholar
American College of Physicians (0)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (0)
American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (0)
- Thomas A. and Shirley W. Roe Award
Journal of the South Carolina Medical Association (0)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (2015)
- American College of Physicians (1976)
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association