Dr. Lee obtained his B.A. from Amherst College and received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He did his training in Internal Medicine at the Presbyterian Hospital, New York City (Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center) and served as Chief Resident on the Internal Medicine service. He was Honorary Registrar and Research Fellow to Dr. Roger Williams at the Liver Unit, Kings College Hospital, London from 1973-74. He has been on the faculty of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and was Director of the Gastroenterology Division at the Medical University of South Carolina before coming to UT Southwestern in 1990.
- Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1967)
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1968), Medicine
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1973), Internal Medicine
- Kings College School of Medicine (1974), Gastroenterology & Liver Diseases
- Acute liver failure
- Drug-induced hepatotoxicity
- Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C
- Liver Transplantation for Acetaminophen-Induced Acute Liver Failure: Role of Psychiatric Comorbidity in Listing Decisions and Outcomes.
- Simmons OL, Meinzer C, Rule J, Lee WM, Dig. Dis. Sci. 2019 Nov
- Acute liver failure.
- Stravitz RT, Lee WM, Lancet 2019 Sep 394 10201 869-881
- Acetaminophen is Undetectable in Plasma From More Than Half of Patients Believed to Have Acute Liver Failure Due to Overdose.
- Leventhal TM, Gottfried M, Olson JC, Subramanian RM, Hameed B, Lee WM Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019 Feb
- Host Genetic Variant in CXCL16 May Be Associated With Hepatitis B Virus-Related Acute Liver Failure.
- Ajmera V, Huang H, Dao D, Feld JJ, Lau DT, Patel K, Rule JA, Daly M, Lee WM, Chung RT, Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol 2019 7 2 477-479.e4
- Acute Liver Failure of Indeterminate Etiology: A Comprehensive Systematic Approach by An Expert Committee to Establish Causality.
- Ganger DR, Rule J, Rakela J, Bass N, Reuben A, Stravitz RT, Sussman N, Larson AM, James L, Chiu C, Lee WM Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2018 Jun
- Multiple Admissions for Acetaminophen (APAP) Overdose: APAP Frequent Fliers, a New Entity?
- Yang E, Peng L, Lee WM Hepatology 2018 Apr
- Safety, Tolerability and Pharmacokinetics of L-Ornithine Phenylacetate in Patients with Acute Liver Injury/Failure and Hyperammonemia.
- Stravitz RT, Gottfried M, Durkalski V, Fontana RJ, Hanje AJ, Koch D, Hameed B, Ganger D, Subramanian RM, Bukofzer S, Ravis WR, Clasen K, Sherker A, Little L, Lee WM Hepatology 2017 Oct
- Public Health: Acetaminophen (APAP) Hepatotoxicity- Isn't It Time for APAP to Go Away?
- Lee WM J. Hepatol. 2017 Jul
- The Natural History of Severe Acute Liver Injury.
- Koch DG, Speiser JL, Durkalski V, Fontana RJ, Davern T, McGuire B, Stravitz RT, Larson AM, Liou I, Fix O, Schilsky ML, McCashland T, Hay JE, Murray N, Shaikh OS, Ganger D, Zaman A, Han SB, Chung RT, Brown RS, Munoz S, Reddy KR, Rossaro L, Satyanarayana R, Hanje AJ, Olson J, Subramanian RM, Karvellas C, Hameed B, Sherker AH, Lee WM, Reuben A Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2017 Apr
- An Immunoassay to Rapidly Measure Acetaminophen Protein Adducts Accurately Identifies Patients with Acute Liver Injury or Failure.
- Roberts DW, Lee WM, Hinson JA, Bai S, Swearingen CJ, Stravitz RT, Reuben A, Letzig L, Simpson PM, Rule J, Fontana RJ, Ganger D, Reddy KR, Liou I, Fix O, James LP Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2016 Sep
Acute Liver Failure
Lee WM and Williams R. (1997). London, Cambridge University Press
Honors & Awards
- Alumni Gold Medal for Clinical Excellence from Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Distinguished Clinician Educator/Mentor Award, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Hyman Zimmerman Memorial Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Leon Schiff Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- A. Blaine Brower Traveling Scholar
American College of Physicians (0)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (0)
American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (0)
- Thomas A. and Shirley W. Roe Award
Journal of the South Carolina Medical Association (0)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (2015)
- American College of Physicians (1976)
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association