Caitlin Murphy, PhD, MPH is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Population and Data Sciences.
As an epidemiologist with expertise in gastrointestinal cancers, Dr. Murphy's research focuses on understanding the causes and outcomes of colorectal cancer. She has experience conducting population-based research across the cancer care continuum, including etiology and risk assessment, screening, patterns of care delivery, and cancer survivorship.
Prior to joining the faculty at UT Southwestern, Dr. Murphy was a Fellow in the Digestive Disease Epidemiology Training Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She received her MPH in Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences from the University of Texas School of Public Health and PhD in Epidemiology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- New York University (2010), Sociology
- Graduate School
- Univ of Tx Health Science Ctr (2011), Behavioral Science
- Graduate School
- University of N C-Chapel Hill (2016), Epidemiology
- An age-period-cohort analysis of obesity and incident esophageal adenocarcinoma among white males.
- Murphy CC, Claire Yang Y, Shaheen NJ, Hofstetter WL, Sandler RS Dis. Esophagus 2016 Nov
- An Assessment of Benefits and Harms of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance in Patients with Cirrhosis.
- Atiq O, Tiro J, Yopp AC, Muffler A, Marrero JA, Parikh ND, Murphy C, McCallister K, Singal AG Hepatology 2016 Oct
- Use of Theory in Behavior Change Interventions: An Analysis of Programs to Increase Physical Activity in Posttreatment Breast Cancer Survivors.
- Bluethmann SM, Bartholomew LK, Murphy CC, Vernon SW Health Educ Behav 2016 May
- Underuse of surveillance colonoscopy in patients at increased risk of colorectal cancer.
- Murphy CC, Lewis CL, Golin CE, Sandler RS Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2015 May 110 5 633-41
- Validation of self-reported post-treatment mammography surveillance among breast cancer survivors by electronic medical record extraction method.
- Tiro JA, Sanders JM, Shay LA, Murphy CC, A Hamann H, Bartholomew LK, Savas LS, Vernon SW Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2015 Apr
- Taking the next step: a systematic review and meta-analysis of physical activity and behavior change interventions in recent post-treatment breast cancer survivors.
- Bluethmann SM, Vernon SW, Gabriel KP, Murphy CC, Bartholomew LK Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2015 Jan 149 2 331-42
- Racial differences in obesity measures and risk of colorectal adenomas in a large screening population.
- Murphy CC, Martin CF, Sandler RS Nutr Cancer 2015 67 1 98-104
- Longitudinal predictors of colorectal cancer screening among participants in a randomized controlled trial.
- Murphy CC, Vernon SW, Haddock NM, Anderson ML, Chubak J, Green BB Prev Med 2014 Sep 66 123-30
- Factorial validity and invariance of four psychosocial constructs of colorectal cancer screening: does screening experience matter?
- Murphy CC, McQueen A, Bartholomew LK, Del Junco DJ, Coan SP, Vernon SW Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2013 Dec 22 12 2295-302
- Utilization of surgery in trimodality-eligible patients with locally advanced esophageal adenocarcinoma in a nonprotocol setting.
- Murphy CC, Hofstetter WL, Correa AM, Ajani JA, Komaki RU, Swisher SG Dis. Esophagus 2013 Sep-Oct 26 7 708-15
Honors & Awards
- AcademyHealth New Investigator Award
- Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health
- Founders Day Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement, New York University
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Presidential Honors Scholar, New York University