Caitlin Murphy, PhD, MPH is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Population and Data Sciences.
As an epidemiologist with expertise in gastrointestinal cancers, Dr. Murphy's research focuses on understanding the causes and outcomes of colorectal cancer. She has experience conducting population-based research across the cancer care continuum, including etiology and risk assessment, screening, patterns of care delivery, and cancer survivorship.
Prior to joining the faculty at UT Southwestern, Dr. Murphy was a Fellow in the Digestive Disease Epidemiology Training Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She received her MPH in Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences from the University of Texas School of Public Health and PhD in Epidemiology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- New York University (2010), Sociology
- Graduate School
- Univ of Tx Health Science Ctr (2011), Behavioral Science
- Graduate School
- University of N C-Chapel Hill (2016), Epidemiology
- Adherence to colorectal cancer screening measured as the proportion of time covered.
- Murphy CC, Sigel BM, Yang E, Skinner CS, Halm EA, Gupta S, Sanders JM, McCallister K, Singal AG Gastrointest. Endosc. 2018 Feb
- Effect of hospital safety net designation on treatment use and survival in hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Mokdad AA, Murphy CC, Pruitt SL, Mansour JC, Marrero JA, Singal AG, Yopp AC Cancer 2017 Oct
- Effect of Colonoscopy Outreach vs Fecal Immunochemical Test Outreach on Colorectal Cancer Screening Completion: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Singal AG, Gupta S, Skinner CS, Ahn C, Santini NO, Agrawal D, Mayorga CA, Murphy C, Tiro JA, McCallister K, Sanders JM, Bishop WP, Loewen AC, Halm EA JAMA 2017 09 318 9 806-815
- RE: Colorectal Cancer Incidence Patterns in the United States, 1974-2013.
- Murphy CC, Sanoff HK, Stitzenberg KB, Baron JA, Sandler RS, Yang YC, Lund JL J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2017 Aug 109 8
- Accuracy of Referring Provider and Endoscopist Impressions of Colonoscopy Indication.
- Naveed M, Clary M, Ahn C, Kubiliun N, Agrawal D, Cryer B, Murphy C, Singal AG J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2017 Jul 15 7 920-925
- HCC Surveillance: Striving for a Better Balance of Benefits and Harms.
- Atiq O, Tiro J, Yopp AC, Muffler A, Marrero JA, Parikh ND, Murphy C, McCallister K, Singal AG Hepatology 2017 May
- Deconstructing Decisions to Initiate, Maintain, or Discontinue Adjuvant Endocrine Therapy in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Mixed-Methods Study.
- Bluethmann SM, Murphy CC, Tiro JA, Mollica MA, Vernon SW, Bartholomew LK Oncol Nurs Forum 2017 May 44 3 E101-E110
- High Initiation of Adjuvant Hormonal Therapy Among Uninsured Stages I-III Breast Cancer Patients Treated in a Safety-Net Healthcare System.
- Murphy CC, Tiro JA, Jean GW, Balasubramian BA, Alvarez CA J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2017 Mar
- Colorectal cancer in older ages: what's ahead?
- Murphy CC, Baron JA Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2017 Jan
- Patterns of Sociodemographic and Clinicopathologic Characteristics of Stages II and III Colorectal Cancer Patients by Age: Examining Potential Mechanisms of Young-Onset Disease.
- Murphy CC, Sanoff HK, Stitzenberg KB, Baron JA, Lund JL, Sandler RS J Cancer Epidemiol 2017 2017 4024580
Honors & Awards
- AcademyHealth New Investigator Award
- Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health
- Founders Day Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement, New York University
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Presidential Honors Scholar, New York University