Caitlin Murphy, PhD, MPH is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Population and Data Sciences.
As an epidemiologist with expertise in gastrointestinal cancers, Dr. Murphy's research focuses on understanding the causes and outcomes of colorectal cancer. She has experience conducting population-based research across the cancer care continuum, including etiology and risk assessment, screening, patterns of care delivery, and cancer survivorship.
Prior to joining the faculty at UT Southwestern, Dr. Murphy was a Fellow in the Digestive Disease Epidemiology Training Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She received her MPH in Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences from the University of Texas School of Public Health and PhD in Epidemiology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- New York University (2010), Sociology
- Graduate School
- Univ of Texas Health Science C (2011), Behavioral Science
- Graduate School
- University of N C-Chapel Hill (2016), Epidemiology
- A systematic review of repeat fecal occult blood tests for colorectal cancer screening.
- Murphy CC, Sen A, Watson B, Gupta S, Mayo H, Singal AG, Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2019 Nov
- Is Colorectal Cancer in Patients Younger Than 50 Years of Age the Same Disease as in Older Patients?
- Dharwadkar P, Greenan G, Singal AG, Murphy CC, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019 Oct
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy for HCV Infection is Associated with Increased Survival in Patients With a History of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Singal AG, Rich NE, Mehta N, Branch A, Pillai A, Hoteit M, Volk M, Odewole M, Scaglione S, Guy J, Said A, Feld JJ, John BV, Frenette C, Mantry P, Rangnekar AS, Oloruntoba O, Leise M, Jou JH, Bhamidimarri KR, Kulik L, Ioannou GN, Huang A, Tran T, Samant H, Dhanasekaran R, Duarte-Rojo A, Salgia R, Eswaran S, Jalal P, Flores A, Satapathy SK, Kagan S, Gopal P, Wong R, Parikh ND, Murphy CC, Gastroenterology 2019 Jul
- Racial Disparities and Trends in Pancreatic Cancer Incidence and Mortality in the United States.
- Tavakkoli A, Singal AG, Waljee AK, Elmunzer BJ, Pruitt SL, McKey T, Rubenstein JH, Scheiman JM, Murphy CC, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019 Jun
- Conceptual Model for Accrual to Cancer Clinical Trials.
- Lee SJC, Murphy CC, Geiger AM, Gerber DE, Cox JV, Nair R, Skinner CS, J. Clin. Oncol. 2019 Jun JCO1900101
- Patient and provider perspectives on delivery of oral cancer therapies.
- Murphy CC, Lee SJC, Gerber DE, Cox JV, Fullington HM, Higashi RT, Patient Educ Couns 2019 Jun
- Colorectal Cancer in the Young: Does Screening Make Sense?
- Murphy CC, Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2019 May 21 7 28
- A summary of the Fight Colorectal Cancer working meeting: exploring risk factors and etiology of sporadic early-age onset colorectal cancer.
- Dwyer AJ, Murphy CC, Boland CR, Garcia R, Hampel H, Limburg P, Lowery J, Zauber AG, Waring S, Worrall S, Perea J, Siegel R, Lee J, Molmenti C, Sears CL, Buckhaults P, Hayes R, Hussan H, de Miranda N, Palles C, Diaz L, Song M, Cercek A, Lieu CH, Patel SG, Karlitz JJ, Cao Y, Demb J, Blatchford P, Risendal B, Weltzien E, Wali A, Daschner P, Loomans-Kropp H, R F, Levell CL, Wehling K, Martin J, Pesmen C, Kuchar V, Soisson R, Davis A, Ahnen D, Gastroenterology 2019 May
- Regional and racial variations in the utilization of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography among pancreatic cancer patients in the United States.
- Tavakkoli A, Singal AG, Waljee AK, Scheiman JM, Murphy CC, Pruitt SL, Xuan L, Kwon RS, Law RJ, Elta GH, Wright-Slaughter P, Valley TS, Kubiliun N, Nathan H, Rubenstein JH, Elmunzer BJ, Cancer Med 2019 May
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma Incidence is Decreasing Among Younger Adults in the United States.
- Rich NE, Yopp AC, Singal AG, Murphy CC, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019 Apr
Honors & Awards
- AcademyHealth New Investigator Award
- Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health
- Founders Day Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement, New York University
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Presidential Honors Scholar, New York University