Caitlin Murphy, PhD, MPH is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Clinical Sciences.
As an epidemiologist with expertise in health services research, Dr. Murphy's research focuses on using epidemiologic methods to improve cancer care delivery. She has experience conducting population-based research across the cancer care continuum, including cancer screening, patterns of cancer care delivery and outcomes, and cancer survivorship.
Prior to joining the faculty at UT Southwestern, Dr. Murphy was a Fellow in the Digestive Disease Epidemiology Training Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She received her MPH in Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences from the University of Texas School of Public Health and PhD in Epidemiology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- New York University (2010), Sociology
- Graduate School
- Univ of Texas Health Science C (2011), Behavioral Science
- Graduate School
- University of N C-Chapel Hill (2016), Epidemiology
- Cancer health disparities
- Cancer screening
- Health services research
- Decrease in incidence of young-onset colorectal cancer before recent increase.
- Murphy CC, Singal AG, Baron JA, Sandler RS Gastroenterology 2018 Aug
- Establishing a research agenda for early-onset colorectal cancer.
- Murphy CC, Singal AG PLoS Med. 2018 Jun 15 6 e1002577
- Prevalence of Prior Cancer Among Persons Newly Diagnosed With Cancer: An Initial Report From the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program.
- Murphy CC, Gerber DE, Pruitt SL JAMA Oncol 2017 Nov
- Young-Onset Colorectal Cancer: Earlier Diagnoses or Increasing Disease Burden?
- Murphy CC, Lund JL, Sandler RS Gastroenterology 2017 Jun 152 8 1809-1812.e3
- Decrease in incidence of colorectal cancer among individuals 50 years or older following recommendations for population-based screening.
- Murphy CC, Sandler RS, Sanoff HK, Yang YC, Lund JL, Baron JA Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2016 Sep
- Underuse and Overuse of Colonoscopy for Repeat Screening and Surveillance in the Veterans Health Administration.
- Murphy CC, Sandler RS, Grubber JM, Johnson MR, Fisher DA Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2016 Mar 14 3 436-444.e1
- Patterns of Colorectal Cancer Care in the United States: 1990-2010.
- Murphy CC, Harlan LC, Lund JL, Lynch CF, Geiger AM J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2015 Oct 107 10
- Race and Insurance Differences in the Receipt of Adjuvant Chemotherapy Among Patients With Stage III Colon Cancer.
- Murphy CC, Harlan LC, Warren JL, Geiger AM J. Clin. Oncol. 2015 Aug 33 23 2530-6
- Burden and Cost of Gastrointestinal, Liver, and Pancreatic Diseases in the United States: Update 2018.
- Peery AF, Crockett SD, Murphy CC, Lund JL, Dellon ES, Williams JL, Jensen ET, Shaheen NJ, Barritt AS, Lieber SR, Kochar B, Barnes EL, Fan YC, Pate V, Galanko J, Baron TH, Sandler RS Gastroenterology 2018 Oct
- Endocrine Therapy Nonadherence and Discontinuation in Black and White Women.
- Wheeler SB, Spencer J, Pinheiro LC, Murphy CC, Earp JA, Carey L, Olshan A, Tse CK, Bell ME, Weinberger M, Reeder-Hayes KE J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2018 Sep
Honors & Awards
- AcademyHealth New Investigator Award
- Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health
- Founders Day Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement, New York University
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Presidential Honors Scholar, New York University