Dr. St. John is a board certified pediatrician, and a NIC-Advanced certified sign language interpreter through the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf. She completed her MD degree at the University of Virginia School of Medicine, and then attended Georgetown University Hospital in Washington DC for her residency in pediatrics. Her interests include language access, advocacy, and supporting effective medical home for children who are deaf and hard of hearing.
Dr. St. John joined the UTSW Department of Otolaryngology in 2012 when offered the exciting opportunity to provide a collaborative and comprehensive care service for children who are deaf or hard of hearing. She is the director of the Family-Focused Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children at Children’s Medical Center Dallas/UT Southwestern Medical Center. The FFC provides support for families to make informed decisions regarding language, educational, and developmental opportunities, as well as provides collaborative support to community providers caring for these patients in keeping with national standards. Dr. St. John also is a health education consultant at the state and national level, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Leadership Team, and an AAP delegate to the Joint Committee on Infant Hearing.
- Medical School
- University of Virginia School of Medicine (1999)
- Georgetown University Medical Center (2000), Pediatrics
- Georgetown University Medical Center (2003), Pediatrics
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Gallaudet University (2004)
- Graduate School
- Gallaudet University (2004), Counseling
- Developmental outcomes for children who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Early Language Access
- Newborn hearing screening
- Resident education and practice retention
- Year 2019 Position Statement: Principles and Guidelines for Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Programs.
- Joint Committee on Infant Hearing. The Journal of Early Hearing Detection and Intervention 2019 4 2 1-44
- To The Editor: Concerns With Correlative Data.
- St John R, Clark T, Nutt R Pediatrics 2017
- ?Pathologizing? Deafness (A Reply)
- St John R Contemporary Pediatrics 2016
- NCHAM EHDI Ebook: Chapter 6: Children who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing PLUS
- Wiley S, St John R, Lindow-Davies C 2016
- The role of routine hearing screening in children with cystic fibrosis on aminoglycosides: A systematic review.
- Farzal Z, Kou YF, St John R, Shah GB, Mitchell RB Laryngoscope 2015 Jul
- The otolaryngologist's role in newborn hearing screening and early intervention.
- Bower CM, St John R, Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2014 Oct 47 5 631-49
- Regarding review of psychopathology in children and adolescents who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- St John R, JAMA Pediatr 2014 Aug 168 8 778-9
- Retained Foreign Body in the Ear Canal
- St John R, Mitchell R Consultant for Pediatricians 2014 13, no 7
- The Otolaryngologist's Role in Newborn Hearing Screening and Early Intervention
- Bower C, St John R Otolaryngology Clinic of North America 2014 47
- Regarding Review of Psychopathology in Children and Adolescents who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
- St John R JAMA Pediatrics. 2014 168 8 778-779
Getting Started: Hearing Screening, Evaluation, and Next Steps. In Early Intervention for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Infants, Toddlers, and their Families
St John R, Lytle L, Nussbaum D, Shoup A (2016). New York, NY, Oxford University Press
Neonatal Hearing Screening. In Atlas of Procedures in Neonatology
St. John R, Morgan S. Neonatal Hearing Screening. In: MacDonald MG, Ramasethu J (2006). Washington, DC, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- EHDI Award of Excellence (AAP, CDC, MCHB/HRSA)
For continued efforts to improve the lives of children and families through early hearing detection and intervention as the Texas AAP Chapter Champion (2011)
- External Collaboration Award, Gallaudet University
In recognition of major contributions to the Gallaudet University Community, and in particular, to the students of the Department of Counseling, throughout the years (2008)
- Pediatric Resident of the Year
Georgetown University Hospital Pediatric Residency Program outstanding resident of the year award (2004)
- Resident Teaching Award
Hugh Hussey Resident Teaching Award in Pediatrics (2001)
- Robert Wood Johnson Generalist Scholar
Primary care medical education scholarship (1995-1999)
- Dallas Medical Society (2012)
- Texas Pediatric Society (2010)
- Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (2009)
- National Board of Certified Counselors (2004)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2002)