As a researcher with rigorous training in computational and experimental approaches for studying pediatric cancer biology, muscle defects and heart diseases, my major research interest is to identify human disease genes, especially potential therapeutic targets and biomarkers. During my Ph.D. career in the Genetics and Genomics program in Cornell University, I received comprehensive training in bioinformatics analysis of high-dimensional datasets, machine learning, Bayesian modeling and statistics. During my postdoc career, I received systematic training in clinical medicine and cancer biology. After that, I joined the Department of Population & Data Sciences at UT Southwestern Medical Center as an Assistant Professor. Since then, I have focused on developing Bayesian modeling and machine learning approaches to identify new disease genes and therapeutic targets for pediatric cancers and other human diseases. My lab’s research works have been published in a series of high-impact journals, including Nature, Elife, Cell Reports, Science Immunology, Cancer Research, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), Genes & Development, Developmental Cell, and Clinical Cancer Research.
- pediatric cancer, muscle defects, heart diseases, diabetes
- Dynamic Transcriptional Responses to Injury of Regenerative and Non-regenerative Cardiomyocytes Revealed by Single-Nucleus RNA Sequencing.
- Cui M, Wang Z, Chen K, Shah AM, Tan W, Duan L, Sanchez-Ortiz E, Li H, Xu L, Liu N, Bassel-Duby R, Olson EN, Dev. Cell 2020 Mar
- Twist2 amplification in rhabdomyosarcoma represses myogenesis and promotes oncogenesis by redirecting MyoD DNA binding.
- Li S, Chen K, Zhang Y, Barnes SD, Jaichander P, Zheng Y, Hassan M, Malladi VS, Skapek SX, Xu L, Bassel-Duby R, Olson EN, Liu N, Genes Dev. 2019 Apr
- SR-B1 drives endothelial cell LDL transcytosis via DOCK4 to promote atherosclerosis.
- Huang L, Chambliss KL, Gao X, Yuhanna IS, Behling-Kelly E, Bergaya S, Ahmed M, Michaely P, Luby-Phelps K, Darehshouri A, Xu L, Fisher EA, Ge WP, Mineo C, Shaul PW, Nature 2019 Apr
- DIGREM: an integrated web-based platform for detecting effective multi-drug combinations.
- Zhang M, Lee S, Yao B, Xiao G, Xu L, Xie Y Bioinformatics 2018 Oct
- Integrative Bayesian Analysis Identifies Rhabdomyosarcoma Disease Genes.
- Xu L, Zheng Y, Liu J, Rakheja D, Singleterry S, Laetsch TW, Shern JF, Khan J, Triche TJ, Hawkins DS, Amatruda JF, Skapek SX Cell Rep 2018 Jul 24 1 238-251
- as a mediator of rhabdomyosarcoma tumorigenesis.
- Kendall GC, Watson S, Xu L, LaVigne CA, Murchison W, Rakheja D, Skapek SX, Tirode F, Delattre O, Amatruda JF Elife 2018 Jun 7
- Dynamic epistasis for different alleles of the same gene.
- Xu L, Barker B, Gu Z, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 Jun 109 26 10420-5
- Genetic architecture of growth traits revealed by global epistatic interactions.
- Xu L, Jiang H, Chen H, Gu Z, Genome Biol Evol 2011 3 909-14
- Development of a Data Model and Data Commons for Germ Cell Tumors.
- Ci B, Yang DM, Krailo M, Xia C, Yao B, Luo D, Zhou Q, Xiao G, Xu L, Skapek SX, Murray MM, Amatruda JF, Klosterkemper L, Shaikh F, Faure-Conter C, Fresneau B, Volchenboum SL, Stoneham S, Lopes LF, Nicholson J, Frazier AL, Xie Y, JCO Clin Cancer Inform 2020 Jun 4 555-566
- Tumor neoantigenicity assessment with CSiN score incorporates clonality and immunogenicity to predict immunotherapy outcomes.
- Lu T, Wang S, Xu L, Zhou Q, Singla N, Gao J, Manna S, Pop L, Xie Z, Chen M, Luke JJ, Brugarolas J, Hannan R, Wang T, Sci Immunol 2020 Feb 5 44