Amika Singla, Ph.D.
Department Internal Medicine
Amika Singla, Ph.D., is an Instructor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases.
Originally from Jagraon, India, Dr. Singla holds a bachelor's and master's degree in biochemistry from Panjab University in Chandigarh, India. She earned her doctorate at the University of Illinois in Chicago. She completed a fellowship in molecular and integrative physiology at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and a fellowship in molecular biology at UT Southwestern Medical Center under Dr. Ezra Burstein.
Dr. Singla joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2015.
Dr. Singla's research interests include hepatocellular carcinoma, liver diseases, gastroenterology, and hepatology.
- COMM Domain Contraining Proteins (COMMDs)
- Endosomal Trafficking of Cargos
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC)
- COMMD1 is linked to the WASH complex and regulates endosomal trafficking of the copper transporter ATP7A.
- Phillips-Krawczak CA, Singla A, Starokadomskyy P, Deng Z, Osborne DG, Li H, Dick CJ, Gomez TS, Koenecke M, Zhang JS, Dai H, Sifuentes-Dominguez LF, Geng LN, Kaufmann SH, Hein MY, Wallis M, McGaughran J, Gecz J, Sluis Bv, Billadeau DD, Burstein E Mol. Biol. Cell 2015 Jan 26 1 91-103
- CD73 (ecto-5'-nucleotidase) hepatocyte levels differ across mouse strains and contribute to mallory-denk body formation.
- Snider NT, Griggs NW, Singla A, Moons DS, Weerasinghe SV, Lok AS, Ruan C, Burant CF, Conjeevaram HS, Omary MB Hepatology 2013 Nov 58 5 1790-800
- Lamin aggregation is an early sensor of porphyria-induced liver injury.
- Singla A, Griggs NW, Kwan R, Snider NT, Maitra D, Ernst SA, Herrmann H, Omary MB J. Cell. Sci. 2013 Jul 126 Pt 14 3105-12
- Oxidative stress, Nrf2 and keratin up-regulation associate with Mallory-Denk body formation in mouse erythropoietic protoporphyria.
- Singla A, Moons DS, Snider NT, Wagenmaker ER, Jayasundera VB, Omary MB Hepatology 2012 Jul 56 1 322-31
- LPA stimulates intestinal DRA gene transcription via LPA2 receptor, PI3K/AKT, and c-Fos-dependent pathway.
- Singla A, Kumar A, Priyamvada S, Tahniyath M, Saksena S, Gill RK, Alrefai WA, Dudeja PK Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2012 Mar 302 6 G618-27
- Calcitonin receptor-mediated CFTR activation in human intestinal epithelial cells.
- Liu H, Singla A, Ao M, Gill RK, Venkatasubramanian J, Rao MC, Alrefai WA, Dudeja PK J. Cell. Mol. Med. 2011 Dec 15 12 2697-705
- Energy determinants GAPDH and NDPK act as genetic modifiers for hepatocyte inclusion formation.
- Snider NT, Weerasinghe SV, Singla A, Leonard JM, Hanada S, Andrews PC, Lok AS, Omary MB J. Cell Biol. 2011 Oct 195 2 217-29
- Mechanisms of lysophosphatidic acid (LPA) mediated stimulation of intestinal apical Cl-/OH- exchange.
- Singla A, Dwivedi A, Saksena S, Gill RK, Alrefai WA, Ramaswamy K, Dudeja PK Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2010 Feb 298 2 G182-9
Honors & Awards
- Graduate Student Lambrecht Award
Outstanding Research, Department of Physiology & Biophysics, University of Illinois, Chicago (2008)
- Provost's and Deiss Award
Outsstanding Biomedical Research, University of Illinois, Chicago (2008)