Dr. Garg is originally from Michigan and received her undergraduate and graduate degrees from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Drawn by her commitment to service, she departed the computer industry to earn her medical degree at Brown University, where she was inducted into the medical honors society, alpha omega alpha (AOA). After completing her residency training at University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Medical Center, she came to UT Southwestern where she completed fellowships in cardiovascular disease and advanced heart failure. Dr. Garg specializes in the comprehensive care of advanced heart failure, heart transplantation, and mechanical circulatory support including left ventricular assist devices (LVADs). She also brings an interest in research, which includes studying cardiac remodeling in the Dallas Heart Study and quality outcomes and best practices in cardiac transplantation. Her interests outside of medicine include her family and leisure enjoyment of the outdoors.
- Medical School
- Brown University Medical School (2009)
- University of California, San Francisco (2012)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2015), Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016), Advanced Heart Failure & Transplant Cardiology
- Advanced Heart Failure
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Heart Transplantation and Rejection
- Left Ventricular Assist Devices
- Left Ventricular Remodeling
- Refining the classification of left ventricular hypertrophy to provide new insights into the progression from hypertension to heart failure.
- Garg S, Drazner MH Curr. Opin. Cardiol. 2016 Jul 31 4 387-93
- Efficacy and Safety of Exercise Training in Chronic Pulmonary Hypertension: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Pandey A, Garg S, Khunger M, Garg S, Kumbhani DJ, Chin KM, Berry JD Circ Heart Fail 2015 Nov 8 6 1032-43
- Association of a 4-Tiered Classification of LV Hypertrophy With Adverse CV Outcomes in the General Population.
- Garg S, de Lemos JA, Ayers C, Khouri MG, Pandey A, Berry JD, Peshock RM, Drazner MH JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2015 Sep 8 9 1034-41
- Human ventricular unloading induces cardiomyocyte proliferation.
- Canseco DC, Kimura W, Garg S, Mukherjee S, Bhattacharya S, Abdisalaam S, Das S, Asaithamby A, Mammen PP, Sadek HA J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015 Mar 65 9 892-900
- In-hospital cardiopulmonary arrests in patients with left ventricular assist devices.
- Garg S, Ayers CR, Fitzsimmons C, Meyer D, Peltz M, Bethea B, Cornwell W, Araj F, Thibodeau J, Drazner MH J. Card. Fail. 2014 Dec 20 12 899-904
- Prevalence and factors associated with false-positive ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction diagnoses at primary percutaneous coronary intervention–capable centers: a report from the Activate-SF registry.
- McCabe JM, Armstrong EJ, Kulkarni A, Hoffmayer KS, Bhave PD, Garg S, Patel A, MacGregor JS, Hsue P, Stein JC, Kinlay S, Ganz P Arch. Intern. Med. 2012 Jun 172 11 864-71
- Predictors of depressed left ventricular function in patients presenting with ST-elevation myocardial infarction.
- Bhave PD, Hoffmayer KS, Armstrong EJ, Garg S, Patel A, Macgregor JS, Stein JC, Kinlay S, Ganz P, McCabe JM Am. J. Cardiol. 2012 Feb 109 3 327-31
- Redesigning the medical science curriculum at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.
- Garg S, Gruppuso PA, Dumenco L Med Health R I 2007 Sep 90 9 272-4
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2009)
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (2016)
- Heart Failure Society of America (2014)
- American College of Cardiology (2012)