Edward Pan, MD is an Associate Professor in the Department of Neurology & Neurotherapeutics. He also holds joint appointments in the Simmons Cancer Center and Department of Neurological Surgery. He is the Medical Director of the Annette G. Strauss Center for Neuro-Oncology and the Fellowship Director for the UTSW Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program.
Dr. Pan received his BA and MD degrees from Boston University Medical Center. He completed his Internship in Transitional Medicine at The Cambridge Hospital and his neurology residency at the Tufts University Residency Program. He then completed his clinical and research Neuro-Oncology Fellowships at the University of California San Francisco. He previously worked as Neuro-Oncology faculty at the Florida Hospital Cancer Institute in Orlando, Florida and then Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida before starting at UTSW in 2013.
Dr. Pan's research interests include experimental therapeutic trials for newly-diagnosed and recurrent glioblastoma, anaplastic gliomas, and low-grade gliomas. Other areas of research include brain metastases, neoplastic meningitis, and neuro-oncology quality of life trials. In addition to Phase I, II, and III therapeutic clinical trials, he has research interests in translational research involving Phase 0 studies of novel targeted experimental therapeutics evaluating treatment blood-brain barrier penetration and intratumoral drug levels as well as novel experimental imaging modalities, such as 2-Hydroxyglutarate (2-HG) MR Spectroscopy, 3D MRI imaging, and arterial spin labeling (ASL) MRI.
His research efforts involve serving as Principal Investigator (PI) of numerous investigator-initiated trials, multicenter pharmacology-sponsored clinical trials, and consortium studies for cooperative groups such as the Adult Brain Tumor Consortium (ABTC), Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology, and NRG Oncology group. He is also the site PI at UTSW for the Brain Tumor Trials Collaborative (BTTC) group.
- Medical School
- Boston University School of Medicine (1996)
- The Cambridge Hospital (1997), Transitional Year
- Tufts University Neurology Residency Program (2000), Neurology
- University of Calfornia - San Francisco (2003), Neuro-oncology
- Brain Metastases
- Low-Grade Gliomas
- Malignant Gliomas
- Neoplastic Meningitis
- Neuro-Oncology Quality of Life
- Neuro-Oncology Translational Research
- NRG/RTOG 1122: A phase 2, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study of bevacizumab with and without trebananib in patients with recurrent glioblastoma or gliosarcoma.
- Lee EQ, Zhang P, Wen PY, Gerstner ER, Reardon DA, Aldape KD, deGroot JF, Pan E, Raizer JJ, Kim LJ, Chmura SJ, Robins HI, Connelly JM, Battiste JD, Villano JL, Wagle N, Merrell RT, Wendland MM, Mehta MP, Cancer 2020 Jun 126 12 2821-2828
- A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Phase II Trial of Dendritic Cell Vaccine ICT-107 in Newly Diagnosed Patients with Glioblastoma.
- Wen PY, Reardon DA, Armstrong TS, Phuphanich S, Aiken RD, Landolfi JC, Curry WT, Zhu JJ, Glantz M, Peereboom DM, Markert JM, LaRocca R, O'Rourke DM, Fink K, Kim L, Gruber M, Lesser GJ, Pan E, Kesari S, Muzikansky A, Pinilla C, Santos RG, Yu JS, Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 10 25 19 5799-5807
- Seizures in glioma patients: An overview of incidence, etiology, and therapies.
- Samudra N, Zacharias T, Plitt A, Lega B, Pan E, J. Neurol. Sci. 2019 Sep 404 80-85
- Efficacy of EGFR plus TNF inhibition in a preclinical model of temozolomide-resistant glioblastoma.
- Guo G, Gong K, Puliyapaddamba VT, Panchani N, Pan E, Mukherjee B, Damanwalla Z, Bharia S, Hatanpaa KJ, Gerber DE, Mickey BE, Patel TR, Sarkaria JN, Zhao D, Burma S, Habib AA, Neuro-oncology 2019 Jul
- Post-gadolinium 3-dimensional spatial, surface, and structural characteristics of glioblastomas differentiate pseudoprogression from true tumor progression.
- Hansen MR, Pan E, Wilson A, McCreary M, Wang Y, Stanley T, Pinho MC, Guo X, Okuda DT J. Neurooncol. 2018 Jun
- Interleukin-13 receptor alpha 2 cooperates with EGFRvIII signaling to promote glioblastoma multiforme.
- Newman JP, Wang GY, Arima K, Guan SP, Waters MR, Cavenee WK, Pan E, Aliwarga E, Chong ST, Kok CYL, Endaya BB, Habib AA, Horibe T, Ng WH, Ho IAW, Hui KM, Kordula T, Lam PYP Nat Commun 2017 Dec 8 1 1913
- A TNF-JNK-Axl-ERK signaling axis mediates primary resistance to EGFR inhibition in glioblastoma.
- Guo G, Gong K, Ali S, Ali N, Shallwani S, Hatanpaa KJ, Pan E, Mickey B, Burma S, Wang DH, Kesari S, Sarkaria JN, Zhao D, Habib AA Nat. Neurosci. 2017 Jun
- Phase I study of RO4929097 with bevacizumab in patients with recurrent malignant glioma.
- Pan E, Supko JG, Kaley TJ, Butowski NA, Cloughesy T, Jung J, Desideri S, Grossman S, Ye X, Park DM J. Neurooncol. 2016 Dec 130 3 571-579
- Prospective Longitudinal Analysis of 2-Hydroxyglutarate Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Identifies Broad Clinical Utility for the Management of Patients With IDH-Mutant Glioma.
- Choi C, Raisanen JM, Ganji SK, Zhang S, McNeil SS, An Z, Madan A, Hatanpaa KJ, Vemireddy V, Sheppard CA, Oliver D, Hulsey KM, Tiwari V, Mashimo T, Battiste J, Barnett S, Madden CJ, Patel TR, Pan E, Malloy CR, Mickey BE, Bachoo RM, Maher EA J. Clin. Oncol. 2016 Nov 34 33 4030-4039
- Phase I study of bendamustine with concurrent whole brain radiation therapy in patients with brain metastases from solid tumors.
- Pan E, Yu D, Zhao X, Neuger A, Smith P, Chinnaiyan P, Yu HH J. Neurooncol. 2014 Jun
Familial Brain Tumor Syndromes. In Brain Cancer
Pan E, Uyehara-Lock J, Nicholas MK (2002). Toronto, Canada, BC Decker
Primary Tumors of the Central Nervous System. In Holland-Frei Cancer Medicine e.6
Pan E, Prados M (2003). Toronto, Canada, BC Decker
Brainstem Gliomas. In Pediatric Central Nervous System Tumors
Pan E, Prados M (2004). Berlin, Germany, Springer-Verlag
Targeted Therapies for Malignant Gliomas. In Glioma: Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment Options
Ashraf N, Pan E (2013). Hauppauge, New York, Nova Science
Honors & Awards
- The Trephined Cranium Award for Excellence in Teaching
Neurology Faculty Teacher of the Year Award (2017-2018)
- The Trephined Cranium Award for Excellence in Teaching
Neurology Faculty Teacher of the Year Award (2016-2017)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2004)
- Society for Neuro-Oncology (2002)
- American Academy of Neurology (1998)