Caitlin Mauer, M.A., M.S., CGC, is an Assistant Professor and the Assistant Director of the Genetic Counseling Program at UT Southwestern. She has experience providing genetics education to health care students and faculty, coordinating student rotations through the Cancer Genetics Clinic at UT Southwestern, supervising genetic counseling students, and chairing student thesis projects.
In addition to her educational role, Ms. Mauer has been practicing as a board-certified genetic counselor in UT Southwestern’s Cancer Genetics Clinic since 2012. She sees patients at risk for hereditary cancer syndromes in multiple clinics and hospital systems around the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex and has a particular passion for working with underserved populations.
Ms. Mauer enjoys conducting and publishing research related to genetic counseling, focusing her work on genetic counseling patient outcomes, the integration of emerging technology to improve genetic services, and the financial benefits of genetic counseling in healthcare systems. She is also heavily involved in state and national professional societies, holding leadership roles and active member positions.
- Undergraduate School
- University of Portland (2010), Genetic Counseling
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Northwestern University (2012)
- Graduate School
- Northwestern University (2012), Genetic Counseling
- Ethical, legal, and business aspects of genetic counseling
- Integrating and adapting emerging technologies and professional developments into genetic counseling
- Standardized applications for genetic counseling graduate programs: Opinions of program directors.
- Beasley E, Mauer C, Mersch J, Pirzadeh-Miller S, Lahiri S, J Genet Couns 2022 Apr 31 2 489-496
- Utilization of breast cancer risk prediction models by cancer genetic counselors in clinical practice predominantly in the United States.
- Park MS, Weissman SM, Postula KJV, Williams CS, Mauer CB, O'Neill SM, J Genet Couns 2021 Dec 30 6 1737-1747
- Downstream Revenue Generated by a Cancer Genetic Counselor.
- Mauer CB, Reys BD, Hall RE, Campbell CL, Pirzadeh-Miller SM, JCO Oncol Pract 2021 Sep 17 9 e1394-e1402
- Adapting genetic counseling operations amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Mauer C, Zimmerman J, Lahiri S, Watson E, Parsi L, Berg J, Pirzadeh-Miller S, J Genet Couns 2021 Aug 30 4 949-955
- Exploration of Male Attitudes on Partnerships and Sexuality with Female BRCA1/2 Mutation Carriers.
- Mauer C, Spencer S, Dungan J, Hurley K, J Genet Couns 2016 Apr 25 2 290-7
- The integration of next-generation sequencing panels in the clinical cancer genetics practice: an institutional experience.
- Mauer CB, Pirzadeh-Miller SM, Robinson LD, Euhus DM, Genet Med 2014 May 16 5 407-12
Honors & Awards
- UT Southwestern Top Employee Engagement/Manager Recognition
- National Society of Genetic Counselors/Invitae Heart of Genetic Counseling honoree
- National Society of Genetic Counselors/Invitae Code Talkers Honoree
- UT Southwestern Meritorious Service Award
- Association of Genetic Counseling Program Directors (2023-2023)
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Breast Cancer Screening and Diagnosis Panel (2020-2023)
- National Society of Genetic Counselors (2012-2023)
- Texas Society of Genetic Counselors (2012-2023)