I was born, raised, and educated in the piney hills of North Louisiana. I received my B.S. in biology from Louisiana Tech University (2006) and both my B.S. in Physician Assistant (2008) and Master of Physician Assistant Studies (2012) from LSU Health. I am currently a student in the health studies Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program at Texas Woman's University. I have practiced in many aspects of medicine including primary care, internal medicine, orthopedic surgery, and rheumatology. Currently, I am an assistant professor and the clinical coordinator in the Department of Physician Assistant Studies. I practice clinically at Parkland Health and Hospital Systems in the Global Diabetes Program - Diabetes Clinic.
I am very active in the community most notably through my fraternal organization, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. - Rho Nu Lambda chapter. I serve as the Chief Medical Officer and Health & Wellness Chairman for the Southwest Region of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. I view medicine as a ministry. It is an intrinsic duty to promote and deliver quality healthcare.
- Louisiana Tech University (2006), Biology
- Lsu Health Sciences Centr-Shre (2008), Physician Assistant Studies
- Graduate School
- Lsu Health Sciences Centr-Shre (2012), Physician Assistant Studies
- Diabetes management, health behavior change, diversity issues in PA education, faith-based health interventions, racial health disparities, chronic disease management
- Imposter Phenomenon and Underrepresented Minorities: What Physician Assistant Educators Need to Know.
- Sturges D J Physician Assist Educ 2018 Apr
- Race Matters in Physician Assistant Education and Clinical Practice.
- Sturges D J Physician Assist Educ 2017 Jun 28 2 109-112
Honors & Awards
- Pi Alpha Honor Society
Faculty initiation (2017)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SYSTEM ACADEMY OF HEALTH SCIENCE EDUCATION
Research finalist - "Pop Culture and Physician Assistant Education" (2016)
- Associate Academic Clinical Provider
UTSW Academic Clinical Provider Ladder (2013)
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (2018)
- Physician Assistant Education Association (2014)
- Texas Academy of Physician Assistants (2014)
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (2008)