Dr. Bharath Mani is originally from India and received his B.VS.c. in Veterinary Sciences and M.S. in Pharmacology from Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai. After a brief stint working as a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry, Bharath moved to Chicago and received his Ph.D. from Loyola University Chicago. Dr. Mani’s graduate studies focused on investigating the regulation of vascular tone by ion channels in the smooth muscle cells. Bharath joined UT Southwestern to receive a broad-based training in metabolic syndrome under the mentorship of Dr. Jeffrey Zigman. Specifically, his postdoctoral research focused on understanding the mechanisms regulating ghrelin secretion and function. Outside of research, Bharath is interested in traveling, exploring different cultures and food.
- Cardiovascular Complications of Metabolic Diseases
- Cardiovascular Pharmacology
- Ghrelin Secretion and Function
- Neuroendocrine Regulation of Body Weight, Food Intake and Blood Glucose
- Kv7.5 Potassium Channel Subunits Are the Primary Targets for PKA-Dependent Enhancement of Vascular Smooth Muscle Kv7 Currents.
- Mani BK, Robakowski C, Brueggemann LI, Cribbs LL, Tripathi A, Majetschak M, Byron KL Mol. Pharmacol. 2016 Mar 89 3 323-34
- Neuroanatomical characterization of a growth hormone secretagogue receptor-green fluorescent protein reporter mouse.
- Mani BK, Walker AK, Lopez Soto EJ, Raingo J, Lee CE, Perelló M, Andrews ZB, Zigman JM J. Comp. Neurol. 2014 Nov 522 16 3644-66
- Altered ghrelin secretion in mice in response to diet-induced obesity and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
- Uchida A, Zechner JF, Mani BK, Park WM, Aguirre V, Zigman JM Mol Metab 2014 Oct 3 7 717-30
- Role of calcium and EPAC in norepinephrine-induced ghrelin secretion.
- Mani BK, Chuang JC, Kjalarsdottir L, Sakata I, Walker AK, Kuperman A, Osborne-Lawrence S, Repa JJ, Zigman JM Endocrinology 2014 Jan 155 1 98-107
- An eGFP-expressing subpopulation of growth hormone secretagogue receptor cells are distinct from kisspeptin, tyrosine hydroxylase, and RFamide-related peptide neurons in mice.
- Smith JT, Reichenbach A, Lemus M, Mani BK, Zigman JM, Andrews ZB Peptides 2013 Sep 47 45-53
- Vascular KCNQ (Kv7) potassium channels as common signaling intermediates and therapeutic targets in cerebral vasospasm.
- Mani BK, O'Dowd J, Kumar L, Brueggemann LI, Ross M, Byron KL J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 2013 Jan 61 1 51-62
- Activation of vascular KCNQ (Kv7) potassium channels reverses spasmogen-induced constrictor responses in rat basilar artery.
- Mani BK, Brueggemann LI, Cribbs LL, Byron KL Br. J. Pharmacol. 2011 Sep 164 2 237-49
- Differential effects of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors on vascular smooth muscle ion channels may account for differences in cardiovascular risk profiles.
- Brueggemann LI, Mackie AR, Mani BK, Cribbs LL, Byron KL Mol. Pharmacol. 2009 Nov 76 5 1053-61
- Opposite regulation of KCNQ5 and TRPC6 channels contributes to vasopressin-stimulated calcium spiking responses in A7r5 vascular smooth muscle cells.
- Mani BK, Brueggemann LI, Cribbs LL, Byron KL Cell Calcium 2009 Apr 45 4 400-11
Kv7 potassium channels as therapeutic targets in cerebral vasospasm. In Vascular Ion Channels in Physiology and Disease
Mani BK, Brueggemann LI, Morales-Vidal S, Loftus CM, Byron K (2016). Cham, Switzerland, Springer International Publishing AG
Honors & Awards
- Future of Science Fund Scholarship
Keystone Symposia (2016)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
Hilda and Preston Davis Foundation Fellowship Program in Eating Diorder Research (2013)
- Predoctoral Fellowship
Arthur J. Schmitt Foundation (2011)
- Predoctoral Fellowship
American Heart Association (2009)
- Gold Medal for Academic Excellence in Pharmacology
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Amincal Sciences University, Chennai, India (2001)
- American Heart Association (2016)
- Obesity Society (2013)
- Endocrine Society (2012)
- American Society for Pharmcology and Experimental Therapeutics (2007)