Salahuddin Kazi, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Rheumatic Diseases. He serves as the Department's Vice Chair of Education and Program Director of the Internal Medicine Residency.
My philosophy as an educator is simple: learners achieve the most when guided by intrinsic motivation in a psychologically safe environment with frequent and authentic communication.
Originally from Pakistan, Dr. Kazi received his medical education at Dow Medical College in Karachi. He completed internal medicine residency training at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, where he served as Chief Resident. He remained at UT Houston to obtain advanced training through a fellowship program in rheumatology.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in rheumatology, Dr. Kazi joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1995.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Kazi is involved with numerous committees, including the Graduate Medical Education Committee.
Dr. Kazi is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American Medical Association, American College of Physicians, and the American College of Rheumatology, which he has served through various committee related to quality improvement and technology.
He also serves as Chair of the Rheumatology Board of the American Board of Internal Medicine.
- Medical School
- University of Karachi-Dow Medical College (1987)
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1989), Internal Medicine
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1992), Internal Medicine
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1995), Rheumatology
- Improving Patient Access and Efficiency of Care
- Improving Quality of Care through Disease Registries
- Medical Education
- Predictive Analytics in Clinical Decision Support
- Update in Rheumatology: Evidence Published in 2016.
- Solow EB, Scielzo SA, Kazi S Ann. Intern. Med. 2017 Mar
- The Rheumatology Informatics System for Effectiveness (RISE): A National Informatics-Enabled Registry for Quality Improvement.
- Yazdany J, Bansback N, Clowse M, Collier D, Law K, Liao KP, Michaud K, Morgan EM, Oates JC, Orozco C, Reimold A, Simard JF, Myslinski R, Kazi S Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2016 Oct
- Overview of the American College of Rheumatology's Electronic Health Record-Enabled Registry: The Rheumatology Informatics System for Effectiveness.
- Francisco M, Johansson T, Kazi S Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 2016 Sep-Oct 34 Suppl 101 5 102-104
- Update in Rheumatology: Evidence Published in 2015.
- Scielzo SA, Stone L, Kazi S Ann. Intern. Med. 2016 May 164 9 W61-4
- Rheumatoid arthritis disease activity measures: American College of Rheumatology recommendations for use in clinical practice.
- Anderson J, Caplan L, Yazdany J, Robbins ML, Neogi T, Michaud K, Saag KG, O'Dell JR, Kazi S Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2012 May 64 5 640-7
- Cardiovascular outcomes in male veterans with rheumatoid arthritis
- Banerjee S, Compton AP, Hooker RS, Cipher DJ, Reimold A, Brilakis ES, Banerjee P, Kazi S Am J Cardiol 2008 Dec 101(8) 1201-5
- The association of race and ethnicity with disease expression in male US veterans with rheumatoid arthritis
- Mikuls TR, Kazi S, Cipher D, Hooker R, Kerr GS, Richards JS, Cannon GW J Rheumatol 2007 Jul 34(7) 1480-4
- The diffuse infiltrative lylmphocytosis syndrome
- Kazi S, Cohen PR, Williams F, Schempp R, Reveille JD AIDS 1996 Apr 10(4) 385-91
- Association between biologic therapies for chronic plaque psoriasis and cardiovascular events: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
- Ryan C, Leonardi CL, Krueger JG, Kimball AB, Strober BE, Gordon KB, Langle RG, de Lemos JA, Daoud Y, Blandenship D, Kazi S, Kaplan DH, Friedewald VE, Menter A JAMA 2011 Aug 24 306(8) 864-71
- 2019 Update of the American College of Rheumatology Recommended Rheumatoid Arthritis Disease Activity Measures.
- England BR, Tiong BK, Bergman MJ, Curtis JR, Kazi S, Mikuls TR, O'Dell JR, Ranganath VK, Limanni A, Suter LG, Michaud K, Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2019 Dec 71 12 1540-1555
Behcet's Disease; Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome; Henoch Schonlein Purpura; Lupus Erythematosus, NSAID Theraphy; and Vasculitis. In Encyclopedia of Gastroenterology
(2003). Academic Press
Rheumatology Diagnosis and Therapeutics
Cush JJ, Kavanaugh AF, Olsen NJ, Stein MC, Kazi S, Saag KG (1999). Baltimore, Maryland, Williams and Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Service Award
American College of Rheumatology (2017)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2011-2020)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly Magazine (2011-2018)
- Top Doctors
US News and Health Reports (2011)
- Internal Medicine Housestaff Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
UT Medical School Houston (1992)
- American College of Physicians
- American College of Rheumatology
- American Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association