- Scott Community College (1986), Nursing
- Teikyo Marycrest University (1997), Nursing
- Graduate School
- University of N C-Chapel Hill (2007), Nursing
- Impact of nursing care on outcomes for neurocritical care patients
- Intracranial pressure monitoring
- Research methodology
- Medication coaching program for patients with minor stroke or TIA: a pilot study.
- Sides EG, Zimmer LO, Wilson L, Pan W, Olson DM, Peterson ED, Bushnell C BMC Public Health 2012 12 549
- A qualitative assessment of practices associated with shorter door-to-needle time for thrombolytic therapy in acute ischemic stroke.
- Olson DM, Constable M, Britz GW, Lin CB, Zimmer LO, Schwamm LH, Fonarow GC, Peterson ED J Neurosci Nurs 2011 Dec 43 6 329-36
- Antithrombotic therapy use at discharge and 1 year in patients with atrial fibrillation and acute stroke: results from the AVAIL Registry.
- Lopes RD, Shah BR, Olson DM, Zhao X, Pan W, Bushnell CD, Peterson ED Stroke 2011 Dec 42 12 3477-83
- Outcomes in mild or rapidly improving stroke not treated with intravenous recombinant tissue-type plasminogen activator: findings from Get With The Guidelines-Stroke.
- Smith EE, Fonarow GC, Reeves MJ, Cox M, Olson DM, Hernandez AF, Schwamm LH Stroke 2011 Nov 42 11 3110-5
- Improvement in use of anticoagulation therapy in patients with ischemic stroke: results from Get With The Guidelines-Stroke.
- Lewis WR, Fonarow GC, Grau-Sepulveda MV, Smith EE, Bhatt DL, Hernandez AF, Olson D, Peterson ED, Schwamm LH Am. Heart J. 2011 Oct 162 4 692-699.e2
- An observational pilot study of CSF diversion in subarachnoid haemorrhage.
- Amato A, Britz GW, James ML, Graffagnino C, Zomorodi AR, Zomorodi ME, Olson DM Nurs Crit Care 2011 Sep-Oct 16 5 252-60
- Secondary preventive medication persistence and adherence 1 year after stroke.
- Bushnell CD, Olson DM, Zhao X, Pan W, Zimmer LO, Goldstein LB, Alberts MJ, Fagan SC, Fonarow GC, Johnston SC, Kidwell C, Labresh KA, Ovbiagele B, Schwamm L, Peterson ED Neurology 2011 Sep 77 12 1182-90
- Are quality improvements in the get with the guidelines: stroke program related to better care or better data documentation?
- Reeves MJ, Grau-Sepulveda MV, Fonarow GC, Olson DM, Smith EE, Schwamm LH Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2011 Sep 4 5 503-11
- Brainstem dysfunction as a predictor of death in the nonneurologically injured.
- Luke James ML, Olson DM Crit. Care Med. 2011 Aug 39 8 2012-3
- Timeliness of tissue-type plasminogen activator therapy in acute ischemic stroke: patient characteristics, hospital factors, and outcomes associated with door-to-needle times within 60 minutes.
- Fonarow GC, Smith EE, Saver JL, Reeves MJ, Bhatt DL, Grau-Sepulveda MV, Olson DM, Hernandez AF, Peterson ED, Schwamm LH Circulation 2011 Feb 123 7 750-8
Chapter 56. Nursing Assessment: Nervous System. In Medical-Surgical Nursing. Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems. 9th Edition
Olson, DM (2014). Elsevier
Nursing and Education. In Monitoring in Neurocritical Care
Olson, DM (2013). Philadelphia, Saunders/Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- D-Magazine Excellence in Nursing
Award for Excellence in Nursing Research (2014)
- Fellow, Neurocritical Care Society
- Presidential Citation
Award for recognition from the Neurocritical Care Society (2013)
- North Carolina Great 100
Recognition for top 100 nurses in N.C. (2011)
- American Association of Neuroscience Nurses (2007)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2005)
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses (1990)