- Scott Community College (1986), Nursing
- Teikyo Marycrest University (1997), Nursing
- Graduate School
- University of N C-Chapel Hill (2007), Nursing
- Impact of nursing care on outcomes for neurocritical care patients
- Intracranial pressure monitoring
- Research methodology
- A pilot study of cerebral and haemodynamic physiological changes during sedation with dexmedetomidine or propofol in patients with acute brain injury.
- James ML, Olson DM, Graffagnino C Anaesth Intensive Care 2012 Nov 40 6 949-57
- Transitional care after hospitalization for acute stroke or myocardial infarction: a systematic review.
- Prvu Bettger J, Alexander KP, Dolor RJ, Olson DM, Kendrick AS, Wing L, Coeytaux RR, Graffagnino C, Duncan PW Ann. Intern. Med. 2012 Sep 157 6 407-16
- Risk score for intracranial hemorrhage in patients with acute ischemic stroke treated with intravenous tissue-type plasminogen activator.
- Menon BK, Saver JL, Prabhakaran S, Reeves M, Liang L, Olson DM, Peterson ED, Hernandez AF, Fonarow GC, Schwamm LH, Smith EE Stroke 2012 Sep 43 9 2293-9
- Clinical Q & A: Translating therapeutic temperature management from theory to practice.
- Bauman JJ, Livesay S, Wavra T, Ray TD, Mathiesen C, Olson DM, McNalty BE Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag 2012 Sep 2 3 150-3
- Patterns, predictors, variations, and temporal trends in emergency medical service hospital prenotification for acute ischemic stroke.
- Lin CB, Peterson ED, Smith EE, Saver JL, Liang L, Xian Y, Olson DM, Shah BR, Hernandez AF, Schwamm LH, Fonarow GC J Am Heart Assoc 2012 Aug 1 4 e002345
- Comparison of 30-day mortality models for profiling hospital performance in acute ischemic stroke with vs without adjustment for stroke severity.
- Fonarow GC, Pan W, Saver JL, Smith EE, Reeves MJ, Broderick JP, Kleindorfer DO, Sacco RL, Olson DM, Hernandez AF, Peterson ED, Schwamm LH JAMA 2012 Jul 308 3 257-64
- Emergency medical service hospital prenotification is associated with improved evaluation and treatment of acute ischemic stroke.
- Lin CB, Peterson ED, Smith EE, Saver JL, Liang L, Xian Y, Olson DM, Shah BR, Hernandez AF, Schwamm LH, Fonarow GC Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2012 Jul 5 4 514-22
- Regional variation in recommended treatments for ischemic stroke and TIA: Get with the Guidelines--Stroke 2003-2010.
- Allen NB, Kaltenbach L, Goldstein LB, Olson DM, Smith EE, Peterson ED, Schwamm L, Lichtman JH Stroke 2012 Jul 43 7 1858-64
- Times from symptom onset to hospital arrival in the Get with the Guidelines--Stroke Program 2002 to 2009: temporal trends and implications.
- Tong D, Reeves MJ, Hernandez AF, Zhao X, Olson DM, Fonarow GC, Schwamm LH, Smith EE Stroke 2012 Jul 43 7 1912-7
- Risks of intracranial hemorrhage among patients with acute ischemic stroke receiving warfarin and treated with intravenous tissue plasminogen activator.
- Xian Y, Liang L, Smith EE, Schwamm LH, Reeves MJ, Olson DM, Hernandez AF, Fonarow GC, Peterson ED JAMA 2012 Jun 307 24 2600-8
Chapter 56. Nursing Assessment: Nervous System. In Medical-Surgical Nursing. Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems. 9th Edition
Olson, DM (2014). Elsevier
Nursing and Education. In Monitoring in Neurocritical Care
Olson, DM (2013). Philadelphia, Saunders/Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- D-Magazine Excellence in Nursing
Award for Excellence in Nursing Research (2014)
- Fellow, Neurocritical Care Society
- Presidential Citation
Award for recognition from the Neurocritical Care Society (2013)
- North Carolina Great 100
Recognition for top 100 nurses in N.C. (2011)
- American Association of Neuroscience Nurses (2007)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2005)
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses (1990)