Dr. Olson began his nursing career in Iowa and obtained his PhD at the University of North Carolina. He worked as a staff nurse from 1986 to 2018. He was an assistant professor at Duke University until 2012 when he relocated to work at the University of Texas Southwestern where he now the first nurse to be promoted to full Professor.
Dr. Olson’s work is focused on developing a more comprehensive understanding of how nursing care contributes to patient outcomes following acquired brain injury. In this endeavor, he has published over 250 manuscripts, 16 book chapters, and 150 scientific abstracts. He is the Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of Neuroscience Nursing and the co-chair of the international Neurocritical Care Research Network. As an invited lecturer or visiting professor, he has had the pleasure to present his work in 39 US states, 10 countries and 5 continents.
- Scott Community College (1986), Nursing
- Teikyo Marycrest University (1997), Nursing
- Graduate School
- University of N C-Chapel Hill (2007), Nursing
- Curing Coma
- Impact of nursing care on outcomes for neurocritical care patients
- Intracranial pressure monitoring
- Research methodology
- Distributions and Reference Ranges for Automated Pupillometer Values in Neurocritical Care Patients.
- Lussier BL, Stutzman SE, Atem F, Venkatachalam AM, Perera AC, Barnes A, Aiyagari V, Olson DM, J Neurosci Nurs 2019 Dec 51 6 335-340
- Agreed-Upon Lies.
- Olson DM, J Neurosci Nurs 2019 12 51 6 275
- Investigating the association between eye colour and the Neurological Pupil index.
- Al-Obaidi S, Atem F, Stutzman SE, Aiyagari V, Olson DM, Aust Crit Care 2019 Nov
- Evidence-Based Management of External Ventricular Drains.
- Chung DY, Olson DM, John S, Mohamed W, Kumar MA, Thompson BB, Rordorf GA, Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2019 Nov 19 12 94
- Impact of Increased Intracranial Pressure on Pupillometry: A Replication Study.
- Al-Obaidi SZ, Atem FD, Stutzman SE, Olson DM, Crit Care Explor 2019 Oct 1 10 e0054
- Patient Education: A Comparison of Teaching Strategies for Patients With Brain Neoplasms.
- Stuart TA, Stutzman SE, Hicks AD, Olson DM, Clin J Oncol Nurs 2019 10 23 5 E81-E86
- The Hospital to Home Transition Following Acute Stroke.
- Olson DM, Juengst SB, Nurs. Clin. North Am. 2019 09 54 3 385-397
- Electronic interventions aimed at increasing self-worth in mild dementia may not be feasible.
- Martinez N, Stutzman SE, Olson DM, J Am Assoc Nurse Pract 2019 Aug
- Pupillary Light Reflex Variability as a Predictor of Clinical Outcomes in Subarachnoid Hemorrhage.
- Ortega-Perez S, Shoyombo I, Aiyagari V, Atem F, Hill M, Stutzman SE, Olson DM, J Neurosci Nurs 2019 Aug 51 4 171-175
- Automated Pupillometry in Neurocritical Care: Research and Practice.
- Lussier BL, Olson DM, Aiyagari V, Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2019 Aug 19 10 71
Chapter 56. Nursing Assessment: Nervous System. In Medical-Surgical Nursing. Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems. 9th Edition
Olson, DM (2014). Elsevier
Nursing and Education. In Monitoring in Neurocritical Care
Olson, DM (2013). Philadelphia, Saunders/Elsevier
The AANN Core Curriculum 6th Edition
Bader, M.K. Littlejohns, L.R. Olson, D.M. (Ed.) (2016). Chicago, IL, American Association of Neuroscience Nurses Publishing
Honors & Awards
- Visiting Professor
Queensland University of Technology in Kelvin Grove Australia (2019)
- Presidential Citation
Neurocritical Care Society (2018)
- Southwestern Academy of Teachers
- Suzanne Smith Mentoring Award
London, England (2016)
- D-Magazine Excellence in Nursing
Award for Excellence in Nursing Research (2014)
- Fellow, Neurocritical Care Society
- Presidential Citation
Award for recognition from the Neurocritical Care Society (2013)
- North Carolina Great 100
Recognition for top 100 nurses in N.C. (2011)
- American Heart Association (2009)
- American Association of Neuroscience Nurses (2007)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2005)
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses (1990)