- Scott Community College (1986), Nursing
- Teikyo Marycrest University (1997), Nursing
- Graduate School
- University of N C-Chapel Hill (2007), Nursing
- Impact of nursing care on outcomes for neurocritical care patients
- Intracranial pressure monitoring
- Research methodology
- Strategies used by hospitals to improve speed of tissue-type plasminogen activator treatment in acute ischemic stroke.
- Xian Y, Smith EE, Zhao X, Peterson ED, Olson DM, Hernandez AF, Bhatt DL, Saver JL, Schwamm LH, Fonarow GC Stroke 2014 May 45 5 1387-95
- Nursing collaboration: a key element in debunking neurocritical care myths.
- Olson DM, Figueroa SA Curr Opin Crit Care 2014 Feb
- Sex differences in quality of life after ischemic stroke.
- Bushnell CD, Reeves MJ, Zhao X, Pan W, Prvu-Bettger J, Zimmer L, Olson D, Peterson E Neurology 2014 Feb
- Predictors of extraventricular drain-associated bacterial ventriculitis.
- Williamson RA, Phillips-Bute BG, McDonagh DL, Gray MC, Zomorodi AR, Olson DM, Britz GW, Laskowitz DT, James ML J Crit Care 2014 Feb 29 1 77-82
- Measuring and Monitoring ICP in Neurocritical Care: Results from a National Practice Survey.
- Olson DM, Batjer HH, Abdulkadir K, Hall CE Neurocrit Care 2014 Feb 20 1 15-20
- Exploring the impact of augmenting sedation assessment with physiologic monitors.
- Olson DM, Zomorodi MG, James ML, Cox CE, Moretti EW, Riemen KE, Graffagnino C Aust Crit Care 2013 Oct
- Continuous cerebral spinal fluid drainage associated with complications in patients admitted with subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Olson DM, Zomorodi M, Britz GW, Zomorodi AR, Amato A, Graffagnino C J. Neurosurg. 2013 Oct 119 4 974-80
- Effects of nursing interventions on intracranial pressure.
- Olson DM, McNett MM, Lewis LS, Riemen KE, Bautista C Am. J. Crit. Care 2013 Sep 22 5 431-8
- Significant practice pattern variations associated with intracranial pressure monitoring.
- Olson DM, Lewis LS, Bader MK, Bautista C, Malloy R, Riemen KE, McNett MM J Neurosci Nurs 2013 Aug 45 4 186-93
- Planning for study design and analysis for point-of-care research teams: does size matter?
- Olson DM, Zhao Y AACN Adv Crit Care 2013 Jul-Sep 24 3 333-6
Chapter 56. Nursing Assessment: Nervous System. In Medical-Surgical Nursing. Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems. 9th Edition
Olson, DM (2014). Elsevier
Nursing and Education. In Monitoring in Neurocritical Care
Olson, DM (2013). Philadelphia, Saunders/Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- D-Magazine Excellence in Nursing
Award for Excellence in Nursing Research (2014)
- Fellow, Neurocritical Care Society
- Presidential Citation
Award for recognition from the Neurocritical Care Society (2013)
- North Carolina Great 100
Recognition for top 100 nurses in N.C. (2011)
- American Association of Neuroscience Nurses (2007)
- Neurocritical Care Society (2005)
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses (1990)