Yunsun Nam is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Department of Biophysics. She is a member of the Cecil H. and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences.
Dr. Nam obtained a BA in Biochemical Sciences from Harvard College. Under the direction of Dr. Stephen C. Blacklow, she obtained her PhD in Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology. Following this, she completed postdoctoral fellowships at Harvard Medical School in Dr. Tom A. Rapoport’s laboratory in the Department of Cell Biology and then in Dr. Piotr Sliz laboratory in the Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology.
Dr. Nam studies mechanisms of non-coding RNAs and their role in gene regulation important for development and cancer. A major focus is the molecular mechanism and regulation of microRNA processing. She uses various biochemical and biophysical approaches including X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy, molecular biology, nucleic acid/protein biochemistry, high throughput sequencing, and eukaryotic cell-based studies. Her long term goal is not only to elucidate how ncRNAs work but also to identify new avenues for developing therapeutics.
- Graduate School
- Harvard University (2006)
- Gene regulation
- non-coding RNAs
- Structure and Function of Macromolecular complexes
- Heme enables proper positioning of Drosha and DGCR8 on primary microRNAs.
- Partin AC, Ngo TD, Herrell E, Jeong BC, Hon G, Nam Y Nat Commun 2017 Nov 8 1 1737
- LIN28 Zinc Knuckle Domain Is Required and Sufficient to Induce let-7 Oligouridylation.
- Wang L, Nam Y, Lee AK, Yu C, Roth K, Chen C, Ransey EM, Sliz P Cell Rep 2017 Mar 18 11 2664-2675
- HP1BP3, a Chromatin Retention Factor for Co-transcriptional MicroRNA Processing.
- Liu H, Liang C, Kollipara RK, Matsui M, Ke X, Jeong BC, Wang Z, Yoo KS, Yadav GP, Kinch LN, Grishin NV, Nam Y, Corey DR, Kittler R, Liu Q Mol. Cell 2016 Jul
- Structural Basis for Cooperative Function of Mettl3 and Mettl14 Methyltransferases.
- Wang P, Doxtader KA, Nam Y Mol. Cell 2016 Jun
- Data publication with the structural biology data grid supports live analysis.
- Meyer PA, Socias S, Key J, Ransey E, Tjon EC, Buschiazzo A, Lei M, Botka C, Withrow J, Neau D, Rajashankar K, Anderson KS, Baxter RH, Blacklow SC, Boggon TJ, Bonvin AM, Borek D, Brett TJ, Caflisch A, Chang CI, Chazin WJ, Corbett KD, Cosgrove MS, Crosson S, Dhe-Paganon S, Di Cera E, Drennan CL, Eck MJ, Eichman BF, Fan QR, Ferré-D'Amaré AR, Christopher Fromme J, Garcia KC, Gaudet R, Gong P, Harrison SC, Heldwein EE, Jia Z, Keenan RJ, Kruse AC, Kvansakul M, McLellan JS, Modis Y, Nam Y, Otwinowski Z, Pai EF, Pereira PJ, Petosa C, Raman CS, Rapoport TA, Roll-Mecak A, Rosen MK, Rudenko G, Schlessinger J, Schwartz TU, Shamoo Y, Sondermann H, Tao YJ, Tolia NH, Tsodikov OV, Westover KD, Wu H, Foster I, Fraser JS, Maia FR, Gonen T, Kirchhausen T, Diederichs K, Crosas M, Sliz P Nat Commun 2016 7 10882
- A grid-enabled web service for low-resolution crystal structure refinement.
- O'Donovan DJ, Stokes-Rees I, Nam Y, Blacklow SC, Schröder GF, Brunger AT, Sliz P Acta Crystallogr. D Biol. Crystallogr. 2012 Mar 68 Pt 3 261-7
- Conformational locking upon cooperative assembly of notch transcription complexes.
- Choi SH, Wales TE, Nam Y, O'Donovan DJ, Sliz P, Engen JR, Blacklow SC Structure 2012 Feb 20 2 340-9
- Molecular basis for interaction of let-7 microRNAs with Lin28.
- Nam Y, Chen C, Gregory RI, Chou JJ, Sliz P Cell 2011 Nov 147 5 1080-91
- Structure of human O-GlcNAc transferase and its complex with a peptide substrate.
- Lazarus MB, Nam Y, Jiang J, Sliz P, Walker S Nature 2011 Jan 469 7331 564-7
- Notch ankyrin repeat domain variation influences leukemogenesis and Myc transactivation.
- Aster JC, Bodnar N, Xu L, Karnell F, Milholland JM, Maillard I, Histen G, Nam Y, Blacklow SC, Pear WS PLoS ONE 2011 6 10 e25645
Honors & Awards
- Pew Scholar in the Biomedical Sciences
- Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas
First Time Faculty Recruitment Award (2013)
- Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (2013)
- Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholar in Biomedical Research
Endowed Scholars Program, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2013)
- Charles A. King Trust Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Charles A. King Trust, N.A., Bank of America, Co‐Trustee. (2011)
- Damon Runyon Postdoctoral Fellowship
Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation (2007)
- The Jane Coffin Childs Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research (declined) (2007)