Dr. Kumbhani received his medical doctorate from the University of Mumbai with Honors. He completed a Masters in Science with a concentration in clinical epidemiology at Harvard University. His internship and residency in internal medicine were performed at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and his cardiovascular training was at Cleveland Clinic. He completed fellowships in interventional cardiology, advanced structural and endovascular interventions, as well as a postdoctoral research fellowship at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, where he was also Instructor in Medicine/Cardiology. Dr. Kumbhani brings to UTSW a strong background in advanced interventional cardiology techniques. His clinical practice specializes in transradial coronary interventions, transcatheter aortic valve implantation, peripheral vascular interventions and adult structural heart disease interventions.
Dr. Kumbhani is also an internationally recognized name in the field of outcomes-based and quality-of-care research. He has authored or co-authored more than 60 articles in medical journals such as JAMA, JACC and Circulation. He has received numerous grants for his research, including from the American Heart Association. He is an elected member of the American College of Epidemiology, the Sigma XiResearch Society and the Royal College of Physicians, UK. He currently serves on the Editorial Board of Cardiosource for the American College of Cardiology and the Get With the Guidelines Scientific Committee and Coronary Artery Disease clinical work group of the American Heart Association.
- Medical School
- University of Mumbai (2002)
- Undergraduate School
- Harvard School of Public Health (2003), Epidemiology
- University of Pennsylvania Health System (2007), Internal Medicine
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2010), Cardiovascular Disease
- Brigham and Women's Hospital (2011), Interventional Cardiology
- Brigham and Women's Hospital (2012), Cardiology
- Application of large national databases to understand disparities in healthcare delivery
- Cardiovascular outcomes research
- Clinical trials
- Vascular medicine
- New Oral Anticoagulants and the Risk of Intracranial Hemorrhage: Traditional and Bayesian Meta-analysis and Mixed Treatment Comparison of Randomized Trials of New Oral Anticoagulants in Atrial Fibrillation.
- Chatterjee S, Sardar P, Biondi-Zoccai G, Kumbhani DJ JAMA Neurol 2013 Oct
- Adherence to Secondary Prevention Medications and Four-year Outcomes in Outpatients With Atherosclerosis.
- Kumbhani DJ, Gabriel Steg P, Cannon CP, Eagle KA, Smith SC, Hoffman E, Goto S, Magnus Ohman E, Bhatt DL Am. J. Med. 2013 Jun
- Role of aspiration and mechanical thrombectomy in patients with acute myocardial infarction undergoing primary angioplasty: An updated meta-analysis of randomized trials.
- Kumbhani DJ, Bavry AA, Desai MY, Bangalore S, Bhatt DL J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013 May
- Resistant hypertension: a frequent and ominous finding among hypertensive patients with atherothrombosis.
- Kumbhani DJ, Steg PG, Cannon CP, Eagle KA, Smith SC, Crowley K, Goto S, Ohman EM, Bakris GL, Perlstein TS, Kinlay S, Bhatt DL Eur. Heart J. 2012 Nov
- Predictors of Adherence to Performance Measures in Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction.
- Kumbhani DJ, Fonarow GC, Cannon CP, Hernandez AF, Peterson ED, Peacock WF, Laskey WK, Pan W, Schwamm LH, Bhatt DL Am. J. Med. 2012 Aug
- Clinical outcomes after percutaneous revascularization versus medical management in patients with significant renal artery stenosis: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
- Kumbhani DJ, Bavry AA, Harvey JE, de Souza R, Scarpioni R, Bhatt DL, Kapadia SR Am. Heart J. 2011 Mar 161 3 622-630.e1
- Association of hospital primary angioplasty volume in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction with quality and outcomes.
- Kumbhani DJ, Cannon CP, Fonarow GC, Liang L, Askari AT, Peacock WF, Peterson ED, Bhatt DL JAMA 2009 Nov 302 20 2207-13
- Lessons from the heart: Troponin elevations in patients with established peripheral artery disease.
- de Lemos JA, Kumbhani DJ J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013 Jun
- Same-Day Discharge After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention: A Meta-Analysis.
- Brayton KM, Patel VG, Stave C, de Lemos JA, Kumbhani DJ J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013 Apr
- Predictive models for short- and long-term adverse outcomes following discharge in a contemporary population with acute coronary syndromes.
- Kumbhani DJ, Wells BJ, Lincoff AM, Jain A, Arrigain S, Yu C, Goormastic M, Ellis SG, Blackstone E, Kattan MW Am J Cardiovasc Dis 2013 3 1 39-52
Indication and technique of percutanerous coronary interventions
Bavry AA, Kumbhani DJ (Ed.) (2012). London, Springer Healthcare Ltd.
Percutaneous coronary intervention in unstable angina/NSTEMI. In Clinical Decision Support: Cardiology
Kumbhani DJ (2013 in press). Decision Support in Medicine, LLC
Landmark trials in interventional cardiology. In Cardiovascular clinical trials: putting the evidence into practice
Kumbhani DJ, Bhatt DL (2013 in press). New Jersey, Wiley-Blackwell
Optimal long term theraphy of the patient after percutaneous coronary intervention. In Interventional Cardiology
Kumbhani DJ (2011). New York, Oxford University Press
Does volume help predict outcome in surgical disease?. In Advances in Surgery
Khuri SF, Hussaini BE, Kumbhani DJ, Healey NA (2005). Philadelphia, Mosby
Honors & Awards
Thomas J. Linnemeier Spirit of Interventional Cardiology Young Investigator Award, TCT (2013)
- First place, Junior Faculty Research
Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigators' Forum (2013)
- Gregory Braden Memorial Fellow of the Year Award
Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (2012)
- Tomsich Award for Excellence in Research
Cleveland Clinic (2010)
- Young Investigator Award
American Heart Association (2010)
- Veterans Affairs Medical Scholar Award
University of Pennsylvania (2007)
- Jack B. Wallach Scholarship
Harvard University (2002)
- Royal College of Physicians, UK (2012)
- Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (2010)
- American Heart Association (2009)
- American College of Epidemiology (2008)
- American College of Physicians (2008)
- American Mensa (2008)
- Sigma Xi Research Society (2008)
- American College of Cardiology (2007)