Shaida Khan, D.O. is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She also serves as the Medical Director of the Neurology Ambulatory Clinic at Parkland Hospital.
Dr. Khan specializes in evaluating, diagnosing, and treating autoimmune peripheral neurological disorders and neuromuscular disorders such as myasthenia gravis, chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP), peripheral neuropathy, inflammatory myopathies, muscular dystrophy, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
Dr. Khan earned her medical degree (D.O.) at UNT Health Science Center in Fort Worth, TX. She completed her neurology residency and neuromuscular medicine fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Khan is board certified in neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and has subspecialty board certification in Neuromuscular medicine.
Dr. Khan has research interests in myasthenia gravis and muscular dystrophy. She is the site investigator for several clinic trials for some of the promising therapies in myasthenia gravis. She serves as the Vice Chair of the Women’s Issues in Neurology Section for the American Academy of Neurology (AAN).
She has received several awards for her work as a clinician, educator, and young investigator. She is a member of several academic leadership, hospital, and student advisory committees. She is a mentor for several quality improvement projects through her role as Medical Director of the Parkland Neurology clinic. She has received the honorable Trephined Cranium Teaching Award for two consecutive years in recognition of outstanding teaching to the neurolgy resident trainees. She was awarded the Fred Baskin Young Investigator Award for her research in muscular dystrophy, the Roger Rosenberg Fellow of the Year Award, and received the UT Southwestern Wellstone MDCRC training grant from the NIH. She attained distinction as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society in 2014, in which she was elected by the medical students of UT Southwestern.
Dr. Khan is a member of the American Academy of Neurology, Texas Neurological Society, Texas Medical Association, Dallas CMS County Medical Society, and Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society.
- Medical School
- UNT Health Science Center at Fort Worth (2012)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016), Neurology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Neuromuscular Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Quality Improvement
- Development of a standard of care for patients with valosin-containing protein associated multisystem proteinopathy.
- Korb M, Peck A, Alfano LN, Berger KI, James MK, Ghoshal N, Healzer E, Henchcliffe C, Khan S, Mammen PPA, Patel S, Pfeffer G, Ralston SH, Roy B, Seeley WW, Swenson A, Mozaffar T, Weihl C, Kimonis V, Orphanet J Rare Dis 2022 Jan 17 1 23
- Autosomal Dominant ANO5-Related Disorder Associated With Myopathy and Gnathodiaphyseal Dysplasia.
- Shaibani A, Khan S, Shinawi M, Neurol Genet 2021 Aug 7 4 e612
- Brody Myopathy Presenting as Recurrent Rhabdomyolysis.
- Bergstrom C, Remz M, Khan S, McNutt M, Am J Med 2021 Jul 134 7 e429-e430
- New patient access via telehealth in neuromuscular medicine during COVID-19.
- Khan S, Kramer A, McIver J, Cady L, Trivedi JR, Work 2021 Jun
- Autosomal Dominant ANO5-Related Disorder Associated With Myopathy and Gnathodiaphyseal Dysplasia
- Aziz Shaibani MD, Shaida Khan DO, Marwan Shinawi MD 2021
- Brody Myopathy Presenting as Recurrent Rhabdomyolysis
- Colin Bergstrom MD, Matthew Remz MD, Shaida Khan DO, Markey McNutt II MD PhD 2021
- Clinical Effects of the Self-administered Subcutaneous Complement Inhibitor Zilucoplan in Patients With Moderate to Severe Generalized Myasthenia Gravis: Results of a Phase 2 Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Clinical Trial.
- Howard JF, Nowak RJ, Wolfe GI, Freimer ML, Vu TH, Hinton JL, Benatar M, Duda PW, MacDougall JE, Farzaneh-Far R, Kaminski HJ, Barohn R, Dimachkie M, Pasnoor M, Farmakidis C, Liu T, Colgan S, Benatar MG, Bertorini T, Pillai R, Henegar R, Bromberg M, Gibson S, Janecki T, Freimer M, Elsheikh B, Matisak P, Genge A, Guidon A, David W, Habib AA, Mathew V, Mozaffar T, Hinton JL, Hewitt W, Barnett D, Sullivan P, Ho D, Howard JF, Traub RE, Chopra M, Kaminski HJ, Aly R, Bayat E, Abu-Rub M, Khan S, Lange D, Holzberg S, Khatri B, Lindman E, Olapo T, Sershon LM, Lisak RP, Bernitsas E, Jia K, Malik R, Lewis-Collins TD, Nicolle M, Nowak RJ, Sharma A, Roy B, Nye J, Pulley M, Berger A, Shabbir Y, Sachdev A, Patterson K, Siddiqi Z, Sivak M, Bratton J, Small G, Kohli A, Fetter M, Vu T, Lam L, Harvey B, Wolfe GI, Silvestri N, Patrick K, Zakalik K, Duda PW, MacDougall J, Farzaneh-Far R, Pontius A, Hoarty M, JAMA Neurol 2020 Feb
- Genome-wide Analyses Identify KIF5A as a Novel ALS Gene.
- Nicolas A, Kenna KP, Renton AE, Ticozzi N, Faghri F, Chia R, Dominov JA, Kenna BJ, Nalls MA, Keagle P, Rivera AM, van Rheenen W, Murphy NA, van Vugt JJFA, Geiger JT, Van der Spek RA, Pliner HA, ShankaracharyaSmith BN, Marangi G, Topp SD, Abramzon Y, Gkazi AS, Eicher JD, Kenna A, Mora G, Calvo A, Mazzini L, Riva N, Mandrioli J, Caponnetto C, Battistini S, Volanti P, La Bella V, Conforti FL, Borghero G, Messina S, Simone IL, Trojsi F, Salvi F, Logullo FO, D'Alfonso S, Corrado L, Capasso M, Ferrucci L, Moreno CAM, Kamalakaran S, Goldstein DB, Gitler AD, Harris T, Myers RM, Phatnani H, Musunuri RL, Evani US, Abhyankar A, Zody MC, Kaye J, Finkbeiner S, Wyman SK, LeNail A, Lima L, Fraenkel E, Svendsen CN, Thompson LM, Van Eyk JE, Berry JD, Miller TM, Kolb SJ, Cudkowicz M, Baxi E, Benatar M, Taylor JP, Rampersaud E, Wu G, Wuu J, Lauria G, Verde F, Fogh I, Tiloca C, Comi GP, Sorarù G, Cereda C, Corcia P, Laaksovirta H, Myllykangas L, Jansson L, Valori M, Ealing J, Hamdalla H, Rollinson S, Pickering-Brown S, Orrell RW, Sidle KC, Malaspina A, Hardy J, Singleton AB, Johnson JO, Arepalli S, Sapp PC, McKenna-Yasek D, Polak M, Asress S, Al-Sarraj S, King A, Troakes C, Vance C, de Belleroche J, Baas F, Ten Asbroek ALMA, Muñoz-Blanco JL, Hernandez DG, Ding J, Gibbs JR, Scholz SW, Floeter MK, Campbell RH, Landi F, Bowser R, Pulst SM, Ravits JM, MacGowan DJL, Kirby J, Pioro EP, Pamphlett R, Broach J, Gerhard G, Dunckley TL, Brady CB, Kowall NW, Troncoso JC, Le Ber I, Mouzat K, Lumbroso S, Heiman-Patterson TD, Kamel F, Van Den Bosch L, Baloh RH, Strom TM, Meitinger T, Shatunov A, Van Eijk KR, de Carvalho M, Kooyman M, Middelkoop B, Moisse M, McLaughlin RL, Van Es MA, Weber M, Boylan KB, Van Blitterswijk M, Rademakers R, Morrison KE, Basak AN, Mora JS, Drory VE, Shaw PJ, Turner MR, Talbot K, Hardiman O, Williams KL, Fifita JA, Nicholson GA, Blair IP, Rouleau GA, Esteban-Pérez J, García-Redondo A, Al-Chalabi A, Rogaeva E, Zinman L, Ostrow LW, Maragakis NJ, Rothstein JD, Simmons Z, Cooper-Knock J, Brice A, Goutman SA, Feldman EL, Gibson SB, Taroni F, Ratti A, Gellera C, Van Damme P, Robberecht W, Fratta P, Sabatelli M, Lunetta C, Ludolph AC, Andersen PM, Weishaupt JH, Camu W, Trojanowski JQ, Van Deerlin VM, Brown RH, van den Berg LH, Veldink JH, Harms MB, Glass JD, Stone DJ, Tienari P, Silani V, Chiò A, Shaw CE, Traynor BJ, Landers JE Neuron 2018 Mar 97 6 1268-1283.e6
- Predictors of Death in Adults With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy-Associated Cardiomyopathy.
- Cheeran D, Khan S, Khera R, Bhatt A, Garg S, Grodin JL, Morlend R, Araj FG, Amin AA, Thibodeau JT, Das S, Drazner MH, Mammen PPA J Am Heart Assoc 2017 Oct 6 10
- Cardiac Atrophy: a Novel Mechanism for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)-Associated Cardiomyopathy
- Shaida Khan, Daniel Cheeran, Sonia Garg, Justin Grodin, Robert Morlend, Faris Araj, Alpesh Amin, Jennifer Thibodeau, Mark Drazner and Pradeep Mammen JACC 2017 69 11
A 59-Year-Old Woman with Subacute Lower Limb Weakness and Painful Paresthesia. In A Case-Based Guide to Neuromuscular Pathology
Khan S, Cai C (2019). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Trephined Cranium Teaching Award
- Trephined Cranium Teaching Award
- 2017 AAN Fellow Scholarship to the Annual Meeting
- Fred Baskin Young Investigator Award
- Roger Rosenberg Fellow of the Year Award
- UTSW Wellstone MDCRC Training Grant
NIH grant (2016-2018)
- Chief Resident
- Dallas County Medical Society (2020)
- Texas Neurological Society (2018)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society (2013)
- American Academy of Neurology (2012)