Luis Sifuentes-Dominguez, M.D.
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Luis Sifuentes-Dominguez is studying basic mechanisms of inflammatory bowel disease. He is supported by a departmental, NIH-sponsored Child Health Research Career Development Award and is working closely with Dr. Ezra Burstein in UT Southwestern’s Department of Internal Medicine’s Division of Gastroenterology to understand the molecular basis of early-onset IBD. Using cutting-edge genomic and proteomic approaches, together they have identified novel genes that play a role in early-onset IBD.
- Medical School
- Universidad La Salle Medical School (2005)
- Hospital Infantil de Mexico Federico Gomez (2008), Pediatrics
- University of Connecticut Health Center (2012), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2015), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Identifying the genetic causes of early onset Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Role of enteroendocrine cells in inflammatory bowel disease pathogenesis
- Small proline-rich protein 2A is a gut bactericidal protein deployed during helminth infection.
- Hu Z, Zhang C, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Zarek CM, Propheter DC, Kuang Z, Wang Y, Pendse M, Ruhn KA, Hassell B, Behrendt CL, Zhang B, Raj P, Harris-Tryon TA, Reese TA, Hooper LV, Science 2021 11 374 6568 eabe6723
- Paneth cell-derived growth factors support tumorigenesis in the small intestine.
- Chen Q, Suzuki K, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Miyata N, Song J, Lopez A, Starokadomskyy P, Gopal P, Dozmorov I, Tan S, Ge B, Burstein E, Life Sci Alliance 2021 Mar 4 3
- Structural and mechanistic insights into secretagogin-mediated exocytosis.
- Qin J, Liu Q, Liu Z, Pan YZ, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Stepien KP, Wang Y, Tu Y, Tan S, Wang Y, Sun Q, Mo X, Rizo J, Burstein E, Jia D, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2020 Mar 117 12 6559-6570
- NK cell defects in X-linked pigmentary reticulate disorder.
- Starokadomskyy P, Wilton KM, Krzewski K, Lopez A, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Overlee B, Chen Q, Ray A, Gil-Krzewska A, Peterson M, Kinch LN, Rohena L, Grunebaum E, Zinn AR, Grishin NV, Billadeau DD, Burstein E, JCI Insight 2019 Nov 4 21
- SCGN deficiency results in colitis susceptibility.
- Sifuentes-Dominguez LF, Li H, Llano E, Liu Z, Singla A, Patel AS, Kathania M, Khoury A, Norris N, Rios JJ, Starokadomskyy P, Park JY, Gopal P, Liu Q, Tan S, Chan L, Ross T, Harrison S, Venuprasad K, Baker LA, Jia D, Burstein E, Elife 2019 Oct 8
- Editing of the gut microbiota reduces carcinogenesis in mouse models of colitis-associated colorectal cancer.
- Zhu W, Miyata N, Winter MG, Arenales A, Hughes ER, Spiga L, Kim J, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Starokadomskyy P, Gopal P, Byndloss MX, Santos RL, Burstein E, Winter SE, J. Exp. Med. 2019 Jul
- Mosaic Tetrasomy 9p Associated With Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Starokadomskyy P, Welch J, Gurram B, Park JY, Koduru P, Burstein E, J Crohns Colitis 2019 Apr
- Microbial Sensing by Intestinal Myeloid Cells Controls Carcinogenesis and Epithelial Differentiation.
- Miyata N, Morris LL, Chen Q, Thorne C, Singla A, Zhu W, Winter M, Melton SD, Li H, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Llano E, Huff-Hardy K, Starokadomskyy P, Lopez A, Reese TA, Turer E, Billadeau DD, Winter SE, Burstein E Cell Rep 2018 Aug 24 9 2342-2355
- Precision editing of the gut microbiota ameliorates colitis.
- Zhu W, Winter MG, Byndloss MX, Spiga L, Duerkop BA, Hughes ER, Büttner L, de Lima Romão E, Behrendt CL, Lopez CA, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Huff-Hardy K, Wilson RP, Gillis CC, Tükel Ç, Koh AY, Burstein E, Hooper LV, Bäumler AJ, Winter SE Nature 2018 Jan 553 7687 208-211
- Evolution of the skin manifestations of X-linked Pigmentary Reticulate Disorder.
- Starokadomskyy P, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Gemelli T, Zinn AR, Dossi MT, Mellado C, Bertrand P, Borzutzky A, Burstein E Br. J. Dermatol. 2017 Apr
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Research Award
UTSW Department of Pediatrics Senior Fellows Research Day (2015)
- W.W. Caruth Scholar
Children's Medical Center Foundation (2015)
- Endoscopy Prize
- Teaching Resident Award
University of Connecticut School of Medicine (2012)
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, North Texas Dallas Chapter Medical Advisory Committee (2016)
- Member, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (2014)
- Member, North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (2012)