Patricia M Jones is the Clinical Director of the Chemistry and Metabolic Disease Labs at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas, TX, and a Professor of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Her PhD is in Molecular Biology with a minor in Biochemistry, received from Texas Woman’s University, Denton,TX in 1986. She did her clinical chemistry training as a Fellow at UT Southwestern Medical Center and was board certified in clinical chemistry by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry in 1992.
Dr. Jones is on the faculty of the COMACC-accredited Clinical Chemistry Fellowship program and ACGME- accredited Pediatric Pathology Fellowship and medical genetic fellowship programs at UT Southwestern. Her duties include instructing pathology residents and various fellows in aspects of clinical chemistry and metabolic disease testing, and acting as a clinical consultant at the Dallas County hospital (Parkland) and the university hospital system. Her research interests lie in the field of inborn errors of metabolism, especially disorders of fatty acid metabolism.
Patti has been an active member of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) since 1986, serving in numerous capacities and on various committees for that association. She served on the board of directors from 2011 - 2013 and as AACC President in 2016. She has also served as President of the National Academy of Clinical Biochemists (NACB) in 2014.
- Graduate School
- Texas Woman's University (1986)
- fatty acid oxidation disorders
- pediatric reference interval studies
- Altered mental status in a teenager.
- Jones PM Clin. Chem. 2013 Oct 59 10 1442-4
- Laboratory developed tests: what may be coming.
- Jones PM MLO Med Lab Obs 2012 Oct 44 10 24, 26
- Mechanism of hyperinsulinism in short-chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency involves activation of glutamate dehydrogenase.
- Li C, Chen P, Palladino A, Narayan S, Russell LK, Sayed S, Xiong G, Chen J, Stokes D, Butt YM, Jones PM, Collins HW, Cohen NA, Cohen AS, Nissim I, Smith TJ, Strauss AW, Matschinsky FM, Bennett MJ, Stanley CA J. Biol. Chem. 2010 Oct 285 41 31806-18
- Urine organic acid analysis for inherited metabolic disease using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.
- Jones PM, Bennett MJ Methods Mol. Biol. 2010 603 423-31
- Deorphanization of GPR109B as a receptor for the beta-oxidation intermediate 3-OH-octanoic acid and its role in the regulation of lipolysis.
- Ahmed K, Tunaru S, Langhans CD, Hanson J, Michalski CW, Kölker S, Jones PM, Okun JG, Offermanns S J. Biol. Chem. 2009 Aug 284 33 21928-33
- Medium-chain fatty acids undergo elongation before beta-oxidation in fibroblasts.
- Jones PM, Butt Y, Messmer B, Boriak R, Bennett MJ Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2006 Jul 346 1 193-7
- Effects of odd-numbered medium-chain fatty acids on the accumulation of long-chain 3-hydroxy-fatty acids in long-chain L-3-hydroxyacyl CoA dehydrogenase and mitochondrial trifunctional protein deficient skin fibroblasts.
- Jones PM, Butt YM, Bennett MJ Mol. Genet. Metab. 2004 Feb 81 2 96-9
- Accumulation of 3-hydroxy-fatty acids in the culture medium of long-chain L-3-hydroxyacyl CoA dehydrogenase (LCHAD) and mitochondrial trifunctional protein-deficient skin fibroblasts: implications for medium chain triglyceride dietary treatment of LCHAD deficiency.
- Jones PM, Butt Y, Bennett MJ Pediatr. Res. 2003 May 53 5 783-7
- The changing face of newborn screening: diagnosis of inborn errors of metabolism by tandem mass spectrometry.
- Jones PM, Bennett MJ Clin. Chim. Acta 2002 Oct 324 1-2 121-8
- Addition of quantitative 3-hydroxy-octadecanoic acid to the stable isotope gas chromatography-mass spectrometry method for measuring 3-hydroxy fatty acids.
- Jones PM, Tjoa S, Fennessey PV, Goodman SI, Bennett MJ Clin. Chem. 2002 Jan 48 1 176-9
Quick Guide to Organic Acid Interpretation
Patricia Jones, Dinesh Rakheja (2011). Washington, DC, AACC Press
Pediatric Laboratory Medicine.
Jones PM, Dietzen D, Haymond, S, Bennett MJ (Ed.) (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill
Pediatric Clinical Biochemistry: Why is it different?. In Biochemical and Molecular Basis of Pediatric Disease, 4th Ed.
Dietzen DJ, Bennett MJ, Wong ECC, eds. (2010). Washington, DC, AACC Press
3-Hydroxy-fatty acid analysis by gass chromatography-mass spectrometry. In Clinical Applications of Mass Spectrometry: Methods and Protocols
Garg U, Hammett-Stabler C, eds. (2010). New York, Humana Press
Disorders of the carnitine cycle and mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation. In Laboratory Diagnosis of Inherited Metabolic Diseases
Jones, PM, Bennett MJ. (2012). Washington DC, AACC Press
Sample Handling and Processing.. In Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, 6th ed.
Haverstick D, Jones PM. (2018). St. Louis, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Past President's Award
Award presented for being President of AACC (2017)
- ACB Trans-Atlantic Lectureship Award
award for a lecture given in England (2016)
- Miriam Reiner Award for Contributions to Clinical Chemistry
- Outstanding Speaker Award
Presentations at a review course (2013)
- Society for Young Clinical Laboratorians, February Mentor of the Month
chosen for mentoring new members of the profession (2010)
- Outstanding Contributions to Pediatric Clinical Chemistry
for service to the Pediatric and Maternal-Fetal Division of the AACC and the profession of pediatric clinical lab medicine (2009)
- Outstanding Speaker Award
given for excellent speaker ratings at presentations (2008)
- Outstanding Speaker Award
from AACC for a presentation (2002)
- Distinguished Teacher Award
Southwestern Allied Health Sciences School for teaching, chosen by students (1998)
- Young Investigator Award
from AACC for research (1986)
- Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists (2019)
- Association of Clinical Biochemists (1999)
- Academy of the AACC (1997)
- American Society of Clinical Laboratory Science (1996)
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry (1986)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (1984)