Patricia M Jones is the Clinical Director of the Chemistry and Metabolic Disease Labs at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas, TX, and a Professor of Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Her PhD is in Molecular Biology with a minor in Biochemistry, received from Texas Woman’s University, Denton,TX in 1986. She did her clinical chemistry training as a Fellow at UT Southwestern Medical Center and was board certified in clinical chemistry by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry in 1992.
Dr. Jones is on the faculty of the COMACC-accredited Clinical Chemistry Fellowship program and ACGME- accredited Pediatric Pathology Fellowship and medical genetic fellowship programs at UT Southwestern. Her duties include instructing pathology residents and various fellows in aspects of clinical chemistry and metabolic disease testing, and acting as a clinical consultant at the Dallas County hospital (Parkland) and the university hospital system. Her research interests lie in the field of inborn errors of metabolism, especially disorders of fatty acid metabolism.
Patti has been an active member of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) since 1986, serving in numerous capacities and on various committees for that association. She served on the board of directors from 2011 - 2013 and as AACC President in 2016. She has also served as President of the National Academy of Clinical Biochemists (NACB) in 2014.
- Graduate School
- Texas Woman's University (1986)
- fatty acid oxidation disorders
- pediatric reference interval studies
- Measurement of Oncometabolites D-2-Hydroxyglutaric Acid and L-2-Hydroxyglutaric Acid.
- Jones PM, Boriack R, Struys EA, Rakheja D Methods Mol. Biol. 2017 1633 219-234
- Clinical applications of 3-hydroxy fatty acid analysis by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.
- Jones PM, Bennett MJ Biochimica et biophysica acta 2011 Jun
- Improved stable isotope dilution-gas chromatography-mass spectrometry method for serum or plasma free 3-hydroxy-fatty acids and its utility for the study of disorders of mitochondrial fatty acid beta-oxidation.
- Jones PM, Quinn R, Fennessey PV, Tjoa S, Goodman SI, Fiore S, Burlina AB, Rinaldo P, Boriack RL, Bennett MJ Clin. Chem. 2000 Feb 46 2 149-55
- Urine Organic Analysis: Key Diagnostic Test for Fumaric Aciduria in a Sri Lankan Child.
- Jasinge E, Fernando M, Indika NR, Trunzo R, Schröder S, Vidanapathirana DM, Jones PM, Jayasena S, Gunarathne AV, Ratnayake P, Lab Med 2021 Oct
- Poor Humoral Response in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients following Complete mRNA SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination.
- Cao J, Liu X, Muthukumar A, Gagan J, Jones P, Zu Y, Clin Chem 2021 Aug
- A Case of Dubin-Johnson Syndrome Presenting as Neonatal Cholestasis With Paucity of Interlobular Bile Ducts.
- Chan KL, Varughese N, Jones PM, Zwick DL, Rajaram V, Lee M, Ramirez CM, Pediatr Dev Pathol 2021 Jan 1093526620980577
- Quantitative amino acid analysis by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry using low cost derivatization and an automated liquid handler.
- Phipps WS, Crossley E, Boriack R, Jones PM, Patel K, JIMD Rep 2020 Jan 51 1 62-69
- A Newborn with Hypothermia and Hyperammonemia.
- Nguyen KQN, Jones PM, Patel K Clin. Chem. 2018 Feb 64 2 411-413
- Leveraging the real value of laboratory medicine with the value proposition.
- Price CP, John AS, Christenson R, Scharnhorst V, Oellerich M, Jones P, Morris HA Clin. Chim. Acta 2016 Nov 462 183-186
- Dried Blood Spot Reference Intervals for Steroids and Amino Acids in a Neonatal Cohort of the National Children's Study.
- Dietzen DJ, Bennett MJ, Lo SF, Grey VL, Jones PM Clin. Chem. 2016 Oct
Quick Guide to Organic Acid Interpretation
Patricia Jones, Dinesh Rakheja (2011). Washington, DC, AACC Press
Pediatric Laboratory Medicine.
Jones PM, Dietzen D, Haymond, S, Bennett MJ (Ed.) (2017). New York, McGraw-Hill
Quick Guide to Organic Acid Interpretation, 2nd ed.: Testing for Inborn Errors of Metabolism
Patricia M Jones, Khushbu Patel, Dinesh Rakheja (2020). St. Louis, Elsevier
Pediatric Clinical Biochemistry: Why is it different?. In Biochemical and Molecular Basis of Pediatric Disease, 4th Ed.
Dietzen DJ, Bennett MJ, Wong ECC, eds. (2010). Washington, DC, AACC Press
3-Hydroxy-fatty acid analysis by gass chromatography-mass spectrometry. In Clinical Applications of Mass Spectrometry: Methods and Protocols
Garg U, Hammett-Stabler C, eds. (2010). New York, Humana Press
Disorders of the carnitine cycle and mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation. In Laboratory Diagnosis of Inherited Metabolic Diseases
Jones, PM, Bennett MJ. (2012). Washington DC, AACC Press
Sample Handling and Processing.. In Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, 6th ed.
Haverstick D, Jones PM. (2018). St. Louis, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Past President's Award
Award presented for being President of AACC (2017)
- ACB Trans-Atlantic Lectureship Award
award for a lecture given in England (2016)
- Miriam Reiner Award for Contributions to Clinical Chemistry
- Outstanding Speaker Award
Presentations at a review course (2013)
- Society for Young Clinical Laboratorians, February Mentor of the Month
chosen for mentoring new members of the profession (2010)
- Outstanding Contributions to Pediatric Clinical Chemistry
for service to the Pediatric and Maternal-Fetal Division of the AACC and the profession of pediatric clinical lab medicine (2009)
- Outstanding Speaker Award
given for excellent speaker ratings at presentations (2008)
- Outstanding Speaker Award
from AACC for a presentation (2002)
- Distinguished Teacher Award
Southwestern Allied Health Sciences School for teaching, chosen by students (1998)
- Young Investigator Award
from AACC for research (1986)
- Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists (2019)
- Association of Clinical Biochemists (1999-2019)
- Academy of the AACC (1997)
- American Society of Clinical Laboratory Science (1996)
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry (1986)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (1984)