Dr. Charles Johnston is assistant chief of staff emeritus at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children. He is a graduate of Yale University and received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Dr. Johnston completed his surgery internship at The University of Texas Health Science Center Bexar County Hospital and his orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of Virginia Medical Center. Dr. Johnston also completed the Harrington Fellowship of Pediatric Orthopaedics and Scoliosis at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children in 1982. Dr. Johnston is a Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. He is also an active staff member at Children’s Medical Center in Dallas. He is a consultant reviewer for Spine, The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery and the Journal of Children’s Orthopaedics. He is a fellow in the American Academy of Orthpaedic Surgeons and serves on the executive committee of the Growing Spine Study Group Foundation. Dr. Johnston is also a member of the Dallas County Medical Society; the Texas Orthopaedic Association, the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America; the Scoliosis Research Society; Sociedad Argentina de Patalogia de la Columna Vertebral; and the European Pediatric Orthopedic Society.
- Medical School
- Columbia University School of Medicine (1976)
- University Health System (1977), Surgery
- University of Virginia Health System (1981), Orthopedic Surgery
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital (1982), Pediatric Orthopedics & Scoliosis
- Creation of animal models of spinal deformity
- Etiology and treatment of congenital limb deficiencies
- Etiology and treatment of overgrowth syndromes with/without vascular malformations
- Evaluation and treatment of early onset scoliosis
- Simultaneous open reduction of ipsilateral CDH and CDK assisted by femoral diaphyseal shortening
- Johnston, C.E. J Pediatr Orthop 2011 in press
- Pulmonary function following early thoracic fusion in non-neuromuscular scoliosis
- Karol LA, Johnston C, Mladenov K, Schochet P, et al. J Bone Joint Surg Am June 2008 90(6) 1272-1281
- A Tale of Two Tibias: a review of treatment options for congenital pseudarthrosis of the tibia
- Johnston, CE J Child Orthop March 2008
- New rod-plate anterior instrumentation for thoracolumbar/lumbar scoliosis: biomechanical evaluation compared with dual-rod and single-rod with structural interbody support
- ? Zhang H, Johnston CE, Pierce WA, Ashman RB, Bronson DG, Haideri NF Spine 2006 31 E934-E940
- Medial epiphysiolysis in severe infantile tibia vara
- Andrade N, Johnston CE II J Pediatr Orthop 2006 26 652
- Outcomes of growing rod surgery for severe compared with moderate early-onset scoliosis: a matched comparative study.
- Helenius IJ, Oksanen HM, McClung A, Pawelek JB, Yazici M, Sponseller PD, Emans JB, Sánchez Pérez-Grueso FJ, Thompson GH, Johnston C, Shah SA, Akbarnia BA, Bone Joint J 2018 06 100-B 6 772-779
- Comparison of Percentile Weight Gain of Growth-Friendly Constructs in Early-Onset Scoliosis.
- Harris LR, Andras LM, Sponseller PD, Johnston CE, Emans JB, Skaggs DL Spine Deform 2018 Jan 6 1 43-47
- Quengel Casting for the Management of Pediatric Knee Flexion Contractures: A 26-Year Single Institution Experience.
- Wiley MR, Riccio AI, Felton K, Rodgers JA, Wimberly RL, Johnston CE J Pediatr Orthop 2017 Aug
- Functional and Radiographic Outcomes Following Growth-Sparing Management of Early-Onset Scoliosis.
- Johnston CE, Tran DP, McClung A J Bone Joint Surg Am 2017 Jun 99 12 1036-1042
- Recurrence After Surgical Intervention for Infantile Tibia Vara: Assessment of a New Modified Classification.
- LaMont LE, McIntosh AL, Jo CH, Birch JG, Johnston CE J Pediatr Orthop 2017 Feb
Congenital Deformities. In Insall & Scott Surgery of the Knee. 6th Edition
Johnston, CE (2017). Philadelphia, Elsevier Churchill Livingstone
Congenital Deformities, Chapter 8. In Master Techniques in Orthopedic Surgery, Pediatrics 2nd Edition
Johnston, CE (2016). Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer
Halo-Gravity Traction (Chapter 30); Apical Control in the Management of Severe Early-Onset Scoliosis (Chapter 46). In The Growing Spine - 2nd Edition
Johnston CE (2016). Berlin Heidelberg, Springer-Verlag
- Growing Spine Study Group/Growing Spine Foundation (2008)
- Scoliosis Research Society (1987)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (1986)
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (1986)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1985)
- Texas Orthopaedic Association (1985)
- European Pediatric Orthopedic Society