Jose Joglar, M.D.
Program Director, Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Fellowship Program
Endowed Title Elizabeth Thaxton and Ellis Batten Page Professorship in Cardiac Electrophysiology Research
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Jose Joglar, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center. and a member of its Division of Cardiology. He heads the arrhythmia program for UT Southwestern, and he holds the Elizabeth Thaxton Page and Ellis Batten Page Professorship in Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Research.
Dr. Jogaler earned his bachelor's degree in biology at the Unversity of Puerto Rico, where he also received his medical degree. He completed his residency in internal medicine, a fellowship in cardiology, and a fellowship in clinical cardiology electrophysiology at UT Southwestern.
He is now the director of the Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Program, the Electrophysiology Laboratory and Device Clinic, and the Invasive Cardiac Laboratories (Cath and EP Labs).
He conducts research in defibrillator medicine and leads his team in a variety of clinical trials for new devices and drugs to treat heart rhythm problems.
A widely published author and editor, Dr. Joglar serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology and reviews articles for the New England Journal of Medicine, Heart Rhythm Society Journal, American Heart Journal, American Journal of Cardiology, and Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology.
He is a member of the Dallas County Medical Society, and he is a Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society, the American Heart Association (AHA) and the American College of Cardiology (ACC). In 2014 he served on the writing committee for the AHA Guidelines of Cardiac Arrest in Pregnancy and is co-chair of the AHA/ACC Guidelines for Supraventricular Tachycardia.
He has been recognized as a D Magazine Best Doctor for Cardiac Electrophysiology nearly every year since 2011.
- Medical School
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (1991)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1997), Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Asymptomatic atrial fibrillation
- Automated external defibrillators
- Cardioversion and defibrillation
- Pacemaker technology
- Sudden cardiac death
- Habitual Cocaine Use is associated with High Defibrillation Threshold During ICD Implantation
- Jay Chen, Rao Naseem, Owen Obel, Jose Joglar J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol Summer 2007 18 722-725
- Automated external defibrillator use by police responders. Where do w go from here?
- Joglar J.A., Page R.l. Circulatio 2002 106 1030-1033
- Automated external defibrillators: technical considerations and clinical promise
- Takata T, Page RL, Joglar JA Annals of Internal Medicine December 2001 135 990-998
Honors & Awards
- Elizabeth Thaxton Page and Ellis Batten Page Professorship in Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Research
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- Heart Rhythm Society