Dr. Jarrett is a licensed psychologist who is board certified in clinical psychology. Her research and clinical expertise is in promoting health and wellness, particularly for patients with mood and related disorders. She specializes in short-term, evidenced-based psychotherapy and focuses on cognitive behavioral therapy. In the Department of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern, Dr. Jarrett collaborates on research, treats patients, teaches, and supervises clinical and/or research activities of trainees. Since 1989 Dr. Jarrett has directed the Psychosocial Research and Depression Clinic where the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) has funded her research group across decades. She welcomes collaborators and trainees dedicated to understanding the role of psychosocial factors in the course of health and illness, particularly in mood and related disorders.
A partial listing of Dr. Jarrett’s publications can be found below and a more complete listing is available to interested readers here.
- Graduate School
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro (1983), Psychology
- University of Mississippi and VA Center Consortium (1984), Clinical Psychology
- Beck Institute for Cognitive Therapy and Research (2001), Cognitive Therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Evidence-based psychotherapy
- Mood and related disorders
- Psychosocial factors and interventions that promote health
- Assessment of patient and provider attitudes towards therapeutic drug monitoring to improve medication adherence in low-income patients with hypertension: a qualitative study.
- Schesing KB, Chia R, Elwood B, Halm EA, Lee SJC, Lodhi H, Wu B, Sharma S, Smith SA, Jarrett RB, Das SR, Vongpatanasin W, BMJ Open 2020 Nov 10 11 e039940
- Do Cognitive Therapy Skills Neutralize Lifetime Stress to Improve Treatment Outcomes in Recurrent Depression?
- Vittengl JR, Stutzman S, Atluru A, Jarrett RB, Behav Ther 2020 Sep 51 5 739-752
- Quality of life after response to acute-phase cognitive therapy for recurrent depression.
- Vittengl JR, Jha MK, Minhajuddin A, Thase ME, Jarrett RB, J Affect Disord 2020 Sep 278 218-225
- Do patients' cognitive therapy skills predict personality change during treatment of depression?
- Vittengl JR, Clark LA, Thase ME, Jarrett RB, Behav Res Ther 2020 Jul 133 103695
- Psychotherapy or medication for depression? Using individual symptom meta-analyses to derive a Symptom-Oriented Therapy (SOrT) metric for a personalised psychiatry.
- Kappelmann N, Rein M, Fietz J, Mayberg HS, Craighead WE, Dunlop BW, Nemeroff CB, Keller M, Klein DN, Arnow BA, Husain N, Jarrett RB, Vittengl JR, Menchetti M, Parker G, Barber JP, Bastos AG, Dekker J, Peen J, Keck ME, Kopf-Beck J, BMC Med 2020 Jun 18 1 170
- Development of a Novel Adult Congenital Heart Disease-Specific Patient-Reported Outcome Metric.
- Cedars AM, Ko JM, John AS, Vittengl J, Stefanescu-Schmidt AC, Jarrett RB, Kutty S, Spertus JA, J Am Heart Assoc 2020 May e015730
- Is sleep disturbance linked to short- and long-term outcomes following treatments for recurrent depression?
- Boland EM, Vittengl JR, Clark LA, Thase ME, Jarrett RB, J Affect Disord 2019 Oct
- The Role of Dyadic Discord in Outcomes in Acute Phase Cognitive Therapy for Adults With Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder.
- Trombello JM, Vittengl JR, Denton WH, Minhajuddin A, Thase ME, Jarrett RB, Behav Ther 2019 Jul 50 4 778-790
- Could Treatment Matching Patients' Beliefs About Depression Improve Outcomes?
- Vittengl JR, Clark LA, Thase ME, Jarrett RB, Behav Ther 2019 Jul 50 4 765-777
- The symptom-specific efficacy of antidepressant medication vs. cognitive behavioral therapy in the treatment of depression: results from an individual patient data meta-analysis.
- Boschloo L, Bekhuis E, Weitz ES, Reijnders M, DeRubeis RJ, Dimidjian S, Dunner DL, Dunlop BW, Hegerl U, Hollon SD, Jarrett RB, Kennedy SH, Miranda J, Mohr DC, Simons AD, Parker G, Petrak F, Herpertz S, Quilty LC, John Rush A, Segal ZV, Vittengl JR, Schoevers RA, Cuijpers P, World Psychiatry 2019 Jun 18 2 183-191
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Psychologist
Dallas Psychological Association (2018)
Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (2015-2021)
American Psychological Association (2014-2021)
Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) (2006)
- Elizabeth H. Penn Professorship in Clinical Psychology
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2004-2021)
- Fourjay Scholar
The Fourjay Foundation, The Beck Institute, Extramural Training Program (2000)
- Diplomate and Founding Fellow
Academy of Cognitive Therapy (1999-2021)
- Principal Investigator with career awards
Funded by the National Institute of Mental Health
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) (2017-2021)
- American Psychological Association (APA) Society of Clinical Psychology Mentorship Program (2017-2019)
- Editorial Board: Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics (2017-2021)
- Association for Psychological Science (APS) (2010-2021)
- Editorial Board: Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology (2004-2016)
- Dallas Psychological Association (DPA) (1993-2021)
- Reviewers Reserve [NIMH] (1990-2021)
- Texas Psychological Association (TPA) (1990-2021)
- International Association for Cognitive Psychotherapy (1989-2017)
- American Psychological Association (APA) (1984-2021)
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy (ABCT) (1978-2021)