Erdal Toprak, Ph.D.
Endowed Title Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholar in Biomedical Research
Department Pharmacology | Lyda Hill Department of Bioinformatics
Graduate Programs Biomedical Engineering, Molecular Biophysics
Erdal Toprak received his Ph.D. in Computational Biology and Biophysics in 2007 from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where he studied motility mechanisms of molecular motor proteins with Paul R. Selvin. He then moved to Roy Kishony's Lab at Harvard Medical School as a postdoctoral research fellow and studied evolution of antibiotic resistance.
- Antibiotic Resistance and Sensitivity
- Bacterial efflux pumps
- Evolvable antimicrobials
- Protein evolution
- Single Molecule Biophysics
- Fighting against evolution of antibiotic resistance by utilizing evolvable antimicrobial drugs.
- Cansizoglu MF, Toprak E Curr. Genet. 2017 May
- Sequence-Specific Targeting of Bacterial Resistance Genes Increases Antibiotic Efficacy.
- Ayhan DH, Tamer YT, Akbar M, Bailey SM, Wong M, Daly SM, Greenberg DE, Toprak E PLoS Biol. 2016 Sep 14 9 e1002552
- Delayed commitment to evolutionary fate in antibiotic resistance fitness landscapes.
- Palmer AC, Toprak E, Baym M, Kim S, Veres A, Bershtein S, Kishony R Nat Commun 2015 6 7385
- Strength of Selection Pressure Is an Important Parameter Contributing to the Complexity of Antibiotic Resistance Evolution.
- Oz T, Guvenek A, Yildiz S, Karaboga E, Tamer YT, Mumcuyan N, Ozan VB, Senturk GH, Cokol M, Yeh P, Toprak E Mol. Biol. Evol. 2014 Jun
- Building a morbidostat: an automated continuous-culture device for studying bacterial drug resistance under dynamically sustained drug inhibition.
- Toprak E, Veres A, Yildiz S, Pedraza JM, Chait R, Paulsson J, Kishony R Nat Protoc 2013 Mar 8 3 555-67
- Evolutionary paths to antibiotic resistance under dynamically sustained drug selection.
- Toprak E, Veres A, Michel JB, Chait R, Hartl DL, Kishony R Nat. Genet. 2012 Jan 44 1 101-5
- On the Race to Starvation: How Do Bacteria Survive High Doses of Antibiotics?
- Tamer YT, Toprak E Mol. Cell 2017 Dec 68 6 1019-1021
- Increased substrate affinity in the Escherichia coli L28R dihydrofolate reductase mutant causes trimethoprim resistance.
- Abdizadeh H, Tamer YT, Acar O, Toprak E, Atilgan AR, Atilgan C Phys Chem Chem Phys 2017 Apr
- Mechanical slowing-down of cytoplasmic diffusion allows in vivo counting of proteins in individual cells.
- Okumus B, Landgraf D, Lai GC, Bakhsi S, Arias-Castro JC, Yildiz S, Huh D, Fernandez-Lopez R, Peterson CN, Toprak E, El Karoui M, Paulsson J Nat Commun 2016 7 11641
- Quantifying the Determinants of Evolutionary Dynamics Leading to Drug Resistance.
- Chevereau G, Dravecká M, Batur T, Guvenek A, Ayhan DH, Toprak E, Bollenbach T PLoS Biol. 2015 Nov 13 11 e1002299
Honors & Awards
- Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholar in Biomedical Research
- EMBO Installation Grant
- Human Frontiers Science Program Research Grant
- The Young Scientist Award by the Turkish Academy of Sciences (TÜBA)
- Marie Curie Career Integration Grant (CIG)
- Eugene Rabinowitch Graduate Fellowship
- UIUC "Teachers Ranked Excellent by Their Students"